Personal finance entry requirements

My husband and I are planning on coming to Belize from British Columbia  for a month later this year. We are exploring options in possibly purchasing vacation rental / retirement property.  We will be spending our time in San Ignacio, Dangriga, and Placencia.   I understand there is an entrance requirement to demonstrate you ability to support yourself for the duration on your stay with $60/person per day being the guideline.  I am seeing that 1/2 should be cash with the other able to be credit card.  Do I REALLY need to arrive with that volume of US cash?  I am VERY uncomfortable with carrying that volume of cash on my person.  Can you not just demonstrate access to sufficient cash funds?  Guidance please....

In Belize the written laws/rules are one thing, often the enforcement is quite another.  ;)

in 10 years of multi trips a year, I have never ever been asked about my funds.

Enjoy Belize!

If you are coming to look as a tourist, that is not an issue, no one will ask you anything about funds. If you are coming to attain permanent residency, or you will be in country more than 30 days, then you will need to provide evidence of sufficient funds to sustain yourself while there. Additionally, you can get cash from an ATM at virtually any bank in Belize, so I would not bring a lot of cash. I usually bring <$1,000 (US) and get cash from an ATM if I need it. There is usually a $2.50 (BZ) charge for using your card. Credit cards are not honored at many establishments, so cash is king in BZ.

My son owns a property in Corozal, I pack 100.00 US with my passport. ( for emergencies) If your credit or debit card has a Cirrus logo you can draw funds in Belize as you need it from a bank ATM. They have a Scotia bank in most centres. Use BZ currency as much as possible, you can pay the departure fee in both US or BZ money.