Baking supplies

Hello,
I am currently living in Quito and I want to make a dinner for my boyfriend on Friday. I am trying to bake a cake and cook a meal and I realized that I'm not sure where to find certain ingredients. I will be going to megamaxi tomorrow as I only checked in my local Santamaría. I was having trouble finding cocoa powder, baking soda( not powder), icing, and I also need filet mignon. I am assuming that is lomo fino? I have yet to find sour cream. I just used plain Greek yogurt for my enchiladas the other day.   Another thing I find that is different here is the cheese. I am looking for regular cheddar cheese. I don't mind if I have to grate it myself, but I find that most of the cheese here has an almost moldy taste. I know that's a lot of questions about food but I'm hoping to find some advice on where to find these things, or suitable substitutes. Oh and any advice on changes to the recipe due to altitude?

Thanks for your help!!
Jenna

Cocoa powder, even organic, and filet mignon you will easily find at megamaxi. As for cheeses, a member on https://www.expat.com recommended a “cheese shop”, on Madrid street in La Floresta area.  I haven't been to it, so give us a review if you do.

Personally I gave up on the cheeses and I just buy what everyone else buys, queso fresco, and use that for salads and also to make ají de queso.

Baking soda is "bicarbonato de sodio" and is easiest to find at tiendas. You may need to try several because not all of them carry it. The cost will blow your mind: $.35 for a bit more than a tablespoon.

Cocoa powder should be near other baking supplies (like flour). It is called "Cocoa". The brand I use is "Bios" and it comes in a black and orange package.

You might be best making icing from scratch. The local stuff is "Crema Chantilly" which makes a light, fluffy icing which is not as sweet as you may be used to. Sometimes I add a bit of powdered sugar "azúcar en polvo" (also found in the baking section).

You are correct that filet mignon is lomo fino.

Don't get me started on cheese...I'm from Wisconsin and have yet to find anything resembling actual cheese in supermarkets. There are a couple cheese vendors at places here in Cuenca, but I have no idea where to look in Quito. There is a separate topic " For Cheese Lovers Only" and as I recall several residents of Quito had recommendations. Search for "cheese" and this topic will be the top one.

Yogurt can work for a replacement of cream cheese but is a bit thin. "Queso Crema"is cream cheese and comes in a low, rectangular container. There are a couple brands but Toni makes a variety. Just be sure you look carefully at the label. "Clasico" is normal cream cheese. There are also some with herbs...I'd grabbed the wrong kind and had to put off making cheesecake until my next grocery trip. If you like sour cream my local Gran Aki has started carrying KiosKo brand "Crema de Leche Agria" which is sour cream. I find it sort of near the cream cheese.

Thank you guys for the help! I am going shopping today, so this will be very useful.