Extending visa stay from 90 days

We will be travelling to Malaysia and wondered what was the process if you wished to extend the visa for 6 months or more?

A tourist entry (90 days) can be extended a maximum of twice. The first extension is for 30 days and the second is for 15 days. It is at the discretion of the immigration officer and the application needs to be done in person at an immigration office or the main centre in Putrajaya.

Thank you Gravitas Is it a case of a total of 135 days if approved. If we travelled around is it possible to return after a couple of months. i would really like to travel around with a view of staying in the future
If I was employed assume that would be different?

You can of course leave and reenter and start the 90 day visa free period again. This may be possible a couple of times but immigration can give shorter entries at their discretion if they perceive tourism is not the real motive

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nst.co … /43357/amp

I don't qualify for the MM2H program (I'm not receiving my pension yet). I have read of people staying in Malaysia for years by leaving and reentering every 90 days. Is this possible?

You don't need to wait to receive a pension ti apply for MM2H  as over 50s can apply while still working. The key is the (currently) rm350,000 liquid assets.

Immigration is much tighter these days so difficult to live here on tourist visas without spending time outside Malaysia. It's immigration officers discretion but lately after 2 tourist entries they have been requiring anything between 7-30 days outside before reentering

It seems entering with Malaysia Airways at KLIA main airport is easier than using the low cost carrier terminal KLIA2.