Good music scene????

Hi Y'all,
How are ya??? I am planning another trip and I am seeking advice as to which are the best cities for live music, I play more traditional folk/blues/country but like listening to almost anything, I would like to travel for a couple of months or more and need to know where I can make a little money, busking or playing some small gigs also would just like to make some contacts with some like minded souls... don't be shy.. . yer maw wisnae.. drop a wee message to me.. thanks Y'all

I'm a clown/juggler who has decades of busking experience. This is a bit different than being a musician but I'll share some general information. Especially if you are solo then one can play in most any German town or city. People like myself who do big circle shows are restricted to places with big open spaces where one can attract a few hundred spectators. Most musicians can work smaller crowds and rely on a quick turnover – or even just a flow of people who don't really stop for more than a song. This is a great advantage that one doesn't have to compete for that one big pitch in a large city center.

Article 5, paragraph 3 of the German constitution protects artists' right to do their thing. On the other hand people have a right to their peace and quiet. German courts have interpreted this to mean that music should be allowed in all communities but with limitations. Typical are designated spots where one can play say for 30 minutes and then have to change the place. Also, no loud instruments or more than a certain number of people in a group (usually between 3 to 5 are allowed).  Amplification and selling of CDs and/or cassettes is pretty much universally disallowed.

The question is how strictly these rules are applied. Some cites are lax – others strict. Stuttgart is a typical example, the police or Ordnunugsamt come down hard on musicians they have caught before for amplification or selling but generally let them slide for the other rules. Some cities even require permits for musicians – although it is in violation of court interpretations. Problem is that one hardly has the time and money to fight such things in court unless it might be in your home community where to plan to regularly play.

But one also has to use common sense and sadly not everyone does – making it harder for all artists.  One should not block the entrance to a shop or business. One should not be threatening, dirty, smelly or obscene – otherwise someone is likely to call the police. Changing pitches for musicians, even if not locally mandate, is only wise. A bored business owner haring the same 8 songs over and over all day is going to get upset and call the police. Even if something is not specifically disallowed, one can then be judged a general nuisance.

Where shows work depend on many factors. One needs a potential audience, thus many artists tend to work in busy pedestrian zones. The question is if this is too hectic or if the people going about their business feel they have the time to stop. Sometimes it is an advantage to work evenings in some towns where most of the businesses have already shut; less people but the ones that are there have more time. Rather than targeting a shopping crowd, many artists try to work either in or at the fringes of a festival. Even better can be where people are on vacation. There are small cities all over in Europe, including Germany, that swell with tourists in the summer. These are usually beach places but also some places where there are lakes or big castles or a lot of historical buildings.

It helps to ask other performers for tips but one should be ready to respond in kind. On the other hand, finding a place where nobody else plays can be a potential gold mine. A controversial  possibility is to play to terraces. There is a big outdoor café or restaurant, one sets up close by and plays a short set. The advantage is that one has a captive audience that will not run away. The downside is that one has a captive audience that didn't necessarily choose to hear you. Some places this is well accepted, others not. Even where it is allowed, audiences can feel annoyed when one musician after another shows up. And of course there is the matter of taste. Forcing people to hear loud heavy metal or a lousy accordion player sing folk tunes off key is probably not going to go over with most audiences.