Retirement or Residency Visas

Does anyone know if Belize has a retirement visa for older people or is it just called a residence visa for persons of any age? Also, does anyone know the approximate cost of obtaining a retirement/residency visa and if an attorney is required for the visa process?

I am a retired US citizen (20 mths retired) living in Thailand and traveling SE Asia. I would like to move to a C. American or Caribbean country so I can travel Central & South America. Thailand has a non-immigrant O-A visa for persons age 50 years & older (commonly called a retirement visa) which cost about $250 per year and do not require an attorney for the visa process.

Just wondering if Belize has a visa that is comparable to the one I mentioned above.

Kindly, Zeus

:cool: Info on this has been covered several times on this forum, just use the magnifying glass to search for it. Also see Belize government websites.

Also suggest googling Belize QRP, and Belize resident requiments.

Will The Old wrote:

:cool: Info on this has been covered several times on this forum, just use the magnifying glass to search for it. Also see Belize government websites.

Also suggest googling Belize QRP, and Belize resident requiments.

I read thru all of the visa topic threads and could not find an answer regarding a retirement visa, so I assume Belize does not offer one. It looks like the Belize residency visa is more costly and more time consuming than the retirement visa that I am currently on, (yearly renewal cost is $250 USD/year, with 90-day reporting, unlimited days out-of-country and the 90-day reporting clock resets each time you re-enter the country).

Thanks anyway... will continue searching other C. American countries to see if any have a retirement type visa similar to what I am currently on.

QRP is closest, but I don't think it's what you're looking for either.

Belize isn't the ideal base for travelling in the region by air as you are limited by where you can fly to.   Flights in and out of Belize City International aren't the cheapest.

QRP requires that $2000 us paid from an outside  source ( pension  or annuity type thing) into a Belize bank account every month. There are initiation fees when you first apply and register for the program. Unlimited times in or out of the country, there are duty free allowances for bringing in your belongings, and an auto under 3 years old, a boat and a light aircraft ( if you have these) within first year of QRP. You  only need to reside in country for one month per year, you do not have to visit Immigration on a regular basis you only need to check in once a year.  The money that you have transferred to your account each moth are yours to do with as you wish, this is not any form of government  payment it is to ensure you can afford to live in Belize.

terrific wrote:

QRP requires that $2000 us paid from an outside  source ( pension  or annuity type thing) into a Belize bank account every month.

Please see this post. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 81#4095462

From the sound of things, here is just one more way that the Belize Government is shooting themselves in the foot, discouraging qualified people from moving to Belize.  :joking:

Dear Terrific  Yesterday 22:06:49

Thanks for the info... Since I have company pension over $2,000 USD per month, it looks I would qualify.
Now, I just need to research whether I can fly in, rent a place and start the process in Belize. And, find out how long it usually takes, what docs are needed, if I can do myself or have to use an attorney and what are the immigration fees.

Thanks kindly...

Zeus.wmo wrote:

Dear Terrific  Yesterday 22:06:49

Thanks for the info... Since I have company pension over $2,000 USD per month, it looks I would qualify.
Now, I just need to research whether I can fly in, rent a place and start the process in Belize. And, find out how long it usually takes, what docs are needed, if I can do myself or have to use an attorney and what are the immigration fees.

Thanks kindly...

Please spend whatever time it takes searching this site for info on what ORIGINAL documents and what are OK as copies you will need to satisfy the various entities you will be dealing with BEFORE you come.
Also google the various Belize government sites you will be submitting documents to before you come. You can do it yourself, and most do. But even an attorney would be hard pressed to help if you don't have the correct documents singed by the correct people when you arrive.

Opening a bank account is an exacting, time consuming  process for an American (I have heard it is a bit easier for a citizen of a British Commonwealth country).

I suggest looking at the websites for BOTH Atlantic Bank (domestic) and Atlantic International Bank to see just what documents you need and if you want to have an account in just one or both. They are related but operate separately. All banks in Belize must get approval from Central Bank before they can open your account. The domestic banks will only let you take out funds in Belize Dollars witch can only be spent in Belize. The international Banks will only accept US Dollars, but you can take out funds in US or Belize Dollars. All Banks charge fees to do almost anything and the International accounts do not have Debit cards or Checks. The Banks will tell you it takes a couple of weeks, but that means a few months.

I suggest spending time in country (Sandals In The Sand) before making any big decisions, but bringing all the needed documents the first visit can save time.

Best of luck!

Mr.Will The Old  Today 05:28:33

Thanks for the good advice..