Immigration:

I am a retired American of 71 yrs. young!  Vietnam vet and living now in Philippines.  My quest is to immigrate to Belize for it's proximity to USA and VA medical facilities.  Ques.
1. Married for 14 months to Philippine princess! She can enter Belize as I can with either a visa from Belize embassy in Manila or upon arrival...correct I believe.
2. Problem is that to fly from Manila to Belize the cheapest flights are from Manila to USA and then to either Panama, Mex city etc...but my government requires a "Transit Visa" for my wife.  If for some unknown reason they refuse my wife the visa then my only option is one: fly on a European carrier then all the way back to Panama and then on to Belize...Any suggestions if I cannot get her the required visa?
3. If I wish to immigrate based on income..Pension..I can show $1,566/mo. Social Security and 2 incomes from seasoned mortgages I hold for a total of $700/mo. for the next 5 and 8 years.  Cumulatively enough for the required $2,000 I read from Belize forum.  My only alternative is to renew visa's each month..correct or any input?
Not rich but wife is trained care giver certified...I am certified teacher of English, computer guru, and many years in consulting and self employed retail and fast food...i.e. Dunkin Donut...Any input will be greatly appreciated...

If it were just me...going to Belize then it's a no brain er..My wife is my life now..and I want her to enjoy the Winter of my years with me in a country like Belize.  God Bless Harold

Greetings Harold, The $2000/month proof of income I assume is required for the QRP program. You don't need to be part of that to live/immigrate to Belize. With your US passport you can enter with a visa given at the Belize airport and pay a monthly fee for the stamp in your passport  after that for a year and apply for residency. You have enough income to do this. As far as a transit visa and a Belize visa for your wife, I think that more research on this forum and others will give you an answer and looking at the Belize government site too. Good luck and welcome home brother. Lee VV

You might want to phone the Belize Consulate in the Philippines for questions about your wife.

Belize Consulate , Philippines

501 Don Alfonso Condominium
UN Avenue, Corner Guerrero St.
Ermita
Manila
Philippines
Phone:
+63-25-220-066
+63-25-210-178
+63-25-210-180
Fax:
+63-25-210-367
+63-23-380-682
Email:
[email protected]

Belize Consulate , Philippines

J. F. Causing Building
Suite 209B, Legaspi Street
Cebu City
Philippines
Phone:
+63-32-255-1487
Fax:
+63-32-255-1487
Email:
[email protected]

I also am a Vietnam vet, and I wish I could give you some good advice.

Just getting your wife out of her country, well you have already done well. I hear its almost impossible nowadays for a Pilipino to leave.

But I am curious why you think Belize is near a VA hospital? I'm here for maybe a couple years and then going to the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico where there is a VA hospital.

Also, yes it would be expensive, but there are many ways to get here avoiding the USA.

Thank you for your reply and valued information.  I will opt to use the renewal process for visas. 
Many questions for the future if you will.  For now I am estimating a March 2014 trip to Belize exploratory in nature.

Will be honored to be able to keep in touch for additional assistance. God Bless  Harld

Dear Nichi:

I will take your suggestion to call Belize Consulate.  From the information I have received via inter-net pages for Philippine citizen requirements...Belize is one of the countries that allows my wife to travel to and receive a visa at the airport upon arrival.  Nevertheless, I will make sure this is the case and if needed obtain a visa for her at the consulate in Manila.

Thank you for you reply and suggestion...

Harold

PS I have researched to the best of my ability all the CA countries and found Belize has more to offer with Costa Rica a close second.  Any input as to all of the CA countries from Belize, Panama, Guatemala, El Salvador, Ecuador,Nicaragua?

Thank you very much.

ForEveHawk:

Thank you Brother!  Yes takes a lot to get a Philippine wife out of here...not done yet but I have the plan my friend.  I researched all of the countries that allow her to enter with a visa upon arrival and/or easy visa from their embassies in Manila except for Panama whom have no visas available in Manila. 

As to the VA facilities.  I have always been able to go to any va clinic and/or hospital if needed in USA, Guam, PR....etc.  when I came to Philippines a 18 months ago I knew that US Embassy in Manila just remodeled their hospital etc.  so I went with my documents and found out a shocking yet A-Typical problem.  Stopped at the door by a Philippino US Marine who said 'CAN'T LET YOU IN" WHY? YOU NEED AN APPOINTMENT...Well I said I have some national security issues to discuss..Ok come in...
Went to a higher up individual and found out that since I was lucky and blessed not to be or have a service connected disability
I could not receive anything from Manila USA VET Hospital!  Only VA facility outside USA since 1921 and some politician created this rule. 

Living in Belize allows me a few options...inexpensive medicine in country or Mexico...or fly home to either California or any state and get treatment should I need it. 
BTW I have written to everyone from McCann to the media about the treatment with no reply.

I am not a ward of the VA system nor in need of any major care..at 71 in great shape except for a little high blood pressure when listening what is happening to my country.  nough said

Your advise and assistance is welcome.

My mission is to leave here with my wife and son by March 2014..
Have spent exhausting hours researching every country in CA...Belize rank high with Costa Rica second.  I have lived all over the world and have 4 children in USA with 6 grandsons..don't want to live their without my wife so Belize gets me closer...

God Bless

ForevrHawk:

Interested in your input to avoid USA transit to Central American countries...only one airline that I found..believe it was Swiss or Scandinavian that flies from Manila or Korea etc. to Amsterdam or Vienna then back to Panama where you can get a transit visa to Belize etc.

If you know of any other way pls. let me know.

Funny I can't depend upon my country but if I were an illegal from Mexico I just walk in and sign up for all the freebees..

Thanks

I have a friend in the Philippines right now. Let me contact him and I'll get back to you. But I think he flies into China and then flies out of there.

Thank you Hawk:

Appreciate your help.

Navy Blue  Harold

Hi Harold,

Given you have been married for over 12 months your wife can easily apply for a non-immigrant visa for either transit or tourism. If she has had no immigration infractions in the United States previously it is highly unlikely she will get denied. I know of no cases and I am a former CBP Officer. Truthfully the process is identical for both tourist and transit and she by marriage qualifies. Yes, nothing is guaranteed but like I said it is highly unlikely.

You have income, proof marriage, your intent is to transit only (but I would go all the way for the B-2 visa). I would start with transit into the US and if for some bizarre reason she is denied look at transit via. another city.

If you have any more questions on the non-immigrant visa process let me know via. PM. It is no where near as complicated as the immigrant visa based on 'alien relative.'

Regards,

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

lots of airlines to choose from Philippines to hong kong.................then take Cathay Pacific from HKG to Vancouver, Canada............then Air Canada has a direct flight to Mexico City............from there, Taca Airlines to BZE

My friend said your wife can fly into the USA when you are just getting a connecting flight out without any customs problems. Being the fact he is also in the Philippines if you like, he told me to give you his email and he'd be glad to help out.

Hawk:

Great info..also heard that since married a year and based on everything it will be assured at least transit and possibly tourist visa for my wife...good news...nevertheless would like details of contact for the person in Philippines to contact please.

Want to keep in touch for the day soon that we will be in Belize to start a new life and you helped so much... just like old times it feels very refreshing.  Thank you and will keep you advised..

Harold, RV and Kristoff

Manaus:

Thank you so much for the input! I see your in Brazil..I spent a few weeks in Rio and Brazila years ago...walked the beaches and saw most of the area....

I believe you have a valid point..married this long and I was the only one to travel back and forth to see my children and grandchildren as well as bury my mother and father over the last year or so. 

The least my country can do is give a old vet his wish for his new wife...will go for the Transit and/or Tourist which the later appears to be the hardest...we have a lease here on our apt. and own a small cafe business..have ties in Philippines and as you said and I will tell them my wife doesn't want to immigrate only visit...short story for you... I applied for resident status here in order to eliminate the month trips to the immigration office and also the expense..when I had the interview the interviewer asked my wife "why you marry an American?"  she said because they are better men than Philippino's..then he asked well he is 70 years old..and I said :

Look at me son...I am 6feet one and American who fought for my country and my father fought in Cebu bay and with McArthur in WWII
So I could give a rats ass if you give me a resident status because I am still American and your not...finally if it were not for my father you would be speaking Japanese...
ergo:  got the residence status...

Now I want to keep in touch with all those who helped me as some day we may meet or cross paths and then I want to be available to help you!

GB  Harold, RV and Kristoff.  God Bless

I sent the address to your PM inbox

Given you have ties to the Philippines (lease, family, etc.) you really should apply for the tourist visa for her. Only one interview, the decision is made the same day and when approved you have the passport within a week with the visa inside it.

One she has the tourist visa, she can also travel Canada as well without the need for a Canadian visa.

Good luck!

There are some restrictions for traveling (or transiting) into Canada - as under any other circumstances a Visa is required for a Philippine National.

Nationals from the following countries qualify for the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program:

Philippines
Indonesia
Thailand
Taiwan

All nationals who qualify for the TWOV program must also meet these conditions:

They hold a valid passport issued by an approved country (listed above);
They hold a valid United States (U.S.) visa;
They travel to Canada on an approved airline (either Air Canada, Air China, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Philippines Airlines, Jazz Air, Sky Regional Airlines Inc., and Air Georgian); and
They transit through an approved Canadian airport (either Vancouver International Airport or Toronto's Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 only)
Notice: Individual travellers cannot apply to the TWOV program; only airports and airlines can submit an application. Learn more about the application process.

Passengers travelling to the United States
In addition to the conditions above, while travelling to the United States, nationals from approved countries must hold a confirmed onward ticket for a direct flight to the United States leaving Canada the same travel day (no layover or overnight stay is permitted).

My mistake, it appears if she has a US Visa she is only allowed to transit through Canada. She also does not qualify for the TWOV program if she does not have a valid US visa.

Even I am starting to get confused. Its my belief she can travel to the USA. You do not go through immigration at all, if you are getting a connecting flight say to Mexico.

Even then it should be the same thing there, she would only need her passport to enter Belize her final destination.

If all her tickets and paperwork is approved in the Philippines she should be good to go.

She is not visiting the USA, she is connecting to her next flight, that's all.

All travelers entering the United States regardless or international orgin and regardless of destination (domestic or international) are required to clear US Customs prior to boarding their next flight. This includes bag claim and re-check (inside customs).

For Example:

MNL - LAX - MEX
Require US Customs in Los Angeles

MNL - LAX - ORD

MNL - LAX

There is an exception. SOME but not all, maybe 5% of flights departing from Canada destined for the USA are offered US Pre-Clearance. This means they clear US Customs in Canada before leaving Canada which allows International Canadian flights to arrive at domestic airports in the US. (NY LaGuardia for example).

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/iti_transit.xml

Bottom line. Regardless of destination, if you came from a country that flies a flag other than the American flag you are required to clear US Customs and Immigration prior to connecting or ending your journey.

You must clear airport security, but you are leaving and have nothing to claim. Plus you are not leaving a secured area of the airport. So why would the USA want to see a USA visa?

Not always, in my case, as I have an US partner (not even married), I would have trouble just transiting into the USA for flights back home to Canada. It's easier for me to go via Cancun and fly directly to Canada, as I am held and interrogated at Immigration every time I try to enter the USA.
They eventually do let me in - but not without a lengthy interviews and review of all my documents at the border- ie - I own a home in the US.

In this case - where a foreign national is married to a US citizen -  They may not accept  the transit visa.

Transit (C) visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the United States enroute to another country, with few exceptions.
As the border officials may view the spouse as a potential immigration risk, they may require a K-3 instead of just a C Visa. (and she would not qualify for a B-2 visa - tourist visa)

If that is the case - The visa that would be required  for entry into the USA is Nonimmigrant Visa for a Spouse (K-3) for entry.

But I don't suppose any of this makes anything any clearer.....

Nichi,

I am sorry you had this experience. As a former CBP Officer in Primary Inspection I am shocked to hear of the trouble you have had. Did you transit through Texas frequently? It is true the C visa may not be acceptable for married persons but that is in very rare circumstances.

I am interested in hearing why, it actually kind of annoys me. Send me a PM.

I'm very ignorant of the process, and I myself am trying to understand it.

When I talked with George yesterday from the Philippines, he seemed to think it was an easy process. He just made the whole run a couple weeks ago.

But I gave him George's email, they can hook up there.

George had an easy time - as he is an US citizen travelling alone.  Philippines to Belize is just a long trip, he shouldn't have any border issues. 

The problems will occur when trying to travel to the US with a Foreign spouse - where you have to enter the USA  - even transiting -  Just travelling together poses a problem.
(For example - Technically, Canadians are not supposed to need visa's for US entry etc, for a six month entry as a snowbird - yet once you have been flagged - they tell you to get visa's that you know you can't even quality for- like telling me to get a K-3 visa, when they knew I was not married or they lie -stating that Canadians are NOT allowed into the USA for 180 days, when you know that the State Dept says otherwise). If you call them out on the lie or disagree, they threaten to ban you for 5 years.

Last time I transited, I was told I would be denied even transit the next time, because of my "crime" of having US partner, no other reason.

I'm living in Belize because of all of the problems I've had with The US border services. I've even abandoned my home in Florida.  Quite frankly - I would rather fly via Syria to get to Canada - rather than go through the hassles of dealing with the US border again.

There are at least 3 other couples that I know (Canada/US partners) that are here in Belize because they had exactly the same (in two cases - worse) experience in dealing with US border issues. Visa's denied at the border, refused entry, refused transit and returned to home country, interrogated, harassed,  etc.

I would hate to think that this woman, who is no doubt anxious to start her new life in Belize, gets subjected to the same kind of treatment that I got from the USA. 

My advise is not to take the chance, and fly around the USA. It's just not worth the risk.

I will assume when you refer to partner you are referring to same-sex relationship. It is true border agents will profile and single you out. But all that aside, is that what this is about? I can say this because I am in a same-sex relationship too.

Laws recently changed (August 2) where you qualify for all the privileges of a heterosexual couple. If you run into any problems you could easily sue the US government and retire on your own private island. Then again, I have seen this type of attitude before in primary where  people automatically assume they are being discriminated against because of there status. And truthfully with an attitude like this I would immediately direct you to secondary. And I have done it and if I ever return to my previous job I would do it again and again. Because we actually enjoy it - seriously. You are a guest in the United States and you have basic rights. We do not owe you entry because you think you qualify. We also do not care if you think you are being discriminated against. We do our job as the law dictates. Those that do not comply with the law, that another story.

If all of what you said is true you really should hire an attorney because it is illegal and not tolerated.  You could buy an island of your own like I said. Your name is probably in the computer system as flagged because of a bad attitude when you were in secondary.

NO this is not same sex relationship - the last time I check I was definitely heterosexual. 
And our friends that are in Belize with the same issues - male/female as well.

I also don't believe or expect that I am "owed entry" into any other country than Canada. But then again - I've never even had a parking ticket, am financially self-suffcient - with ties to Canada and now Belize. 
Hardly what you could consider to be an undesirable.

And while I may not be owed entry - I also don't believe that anyone should be harassed, detained and lied to by a government official, with no justifiable reason.

Nevertheless, you really should look into hiring an attorney. There is nothing more effective than suing a port of entry for breaking immigration law and procedure. What happens on the Mexican border is far different than what happens in the airport - swift action will follow. What you describe is illegal and not tolerated.

Dealing with the USA is the last thing I want to do.

The  US government did me a favour - after so many issues with transiting and visiting the US, it made me look for other places to vacation and ultimately retire.

There was no bad attitude on my part when entering, in fact, I was a little surprised at being singled out.  I was very compliant, even when being fingerprinted and photographed and threatened. I could see that the border officials were doing everything possible to antagonize me. I wasn't going to fall for it, I knew the consequences.

I'm now living in a wonderful and welcoming country.  Belize.

Belize will benefit. I will most likely sell my US property, buy something here. My money will be spent here. The time I spend doing volunteer work will be done here. And if I start a new business and hire people, it will be done here.

In the future, I will just avoid the US at every opportunity, and advise anyone who is in the same position as I am, to think carefully, and to do the same, especially if they have a non-US spouse.

Harold - do you have any idea where you might want to start your Belize travels?

just a quick word &  a useless opinion........   I do thank Matt for sharing his expertise on entering/exiting the USA.   BTW I do know Nichi and D, and both of them are well spoken, ordinary, middle class citizens of the US & Canada.  There is nothing about their appearance or demeanor that would indicate they were a risk for anything or anyone.   I also think they should hire an attorney when their circumstances allow.  I am concerned that people who meet the criteria for US entry, can still be denied based on whim.   What is the point of entry criteria, if they are not used?

You are welcome. But you are not going to like my response. This is my last message in this thread as I do not like where this conversation is going. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that does not mean I need to agree though.

That said, the criteria is simple - good attitude, necessary documents, truthful answers. There is no book or list. And yes, entry in the United States is granted at the sole discretion of the CBP officer. If he or she doesn't like the story or you they can send you to secondary for deportation assessment. That is in their authority. Don't like it? Don't come, it's that simple.

Hello everyone,

I regret to inform you that we have moved some off topic posts [very sad news] from this discussion.

Thank you for your comprehension,
Christine
Expat.com team

If they were moved where to, or should that have been removed.

the thread is titled "horrible murder" and is elsewhere on this blog.  go to the home page for this blog and look for it.

@ terrific > please the posts have been moved to a private forum only for moderators and also @kristinanadreau > I would please ask you to please come  back to the topic.

The subject of the thread is Immigration. :)

Thank you for your comprehension.

Priscilla
Expat.com team

[sorry for the off topic]

Police are asking the community to pls step forward and share with them any leads in the murder.  I will post #'s to contact for Police in Belize and for Crimestoppers, an anonymous # based in Miami.

to all the moderators    the topic of the murder is one of great concern to the expat community.  there is a thread entitled horrible murders, and there is every reason to allow people to continue to post FACTS.   people are not posting gossip and wild conjecture.  this will be my final post.

I had nothing to with the censorship of the postings. I am with you - freedom of speech. Unreal.

usmc-mv, Of course you had something to do with the censorship of this thread. It was you who brought it up as an inapproptate discussion. People who don't live in Belize nor have even visited have no business commenting on appropriateness of something especially when it involves a serious concern like this murder. Shame on you expat-blog team for pulling the plug on part of the thread. How can you castigate a member based on what you all think people should be saying.

Excuse me! The postings were off topic. And no I had nothing to do with it. And I can and will post whenever and wherever I decide.