Hello out there! Help Please!

I currently live in Indiana, USA and to be quite honest, I'm fed up.  I would love to relocate to Beliz but, I've never visited, I would still have to work and I would need help with residency and work permits.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  How would I collect on Social Security when I can eventually retire?  This is something I would definitely love to do within the next five years, but I also love to have all my ducks in a row before I endeavor on a major adventure like this.

I appreciate all input from anyone who's made the "leap" into this lifestyle.

Thanks,
Christina

Welcome on Expat.com Christina,

Your discussion has been redirected to Belize forum for effective networking. I hope that you will get lot of responses in regards to your specific queries. Also, I wish you good luck for the realization of your relocation project.

Regards

Hi Christina:

First and foremost I would recommend that you scroll down the forum and read every one of the posted questions and associated answers. You then will have a better understanding of the process of becoming an Expat, how to collect your SS, what area of the country you might like, and what you can afford. You will also find answers on visa, work, and residency issues. Then when you have a better understanding of your own desires, you can contact individual expats with your specific questions. You will find all are willing to help.

Leonard

Are you receiving notices from Social Security that you have met your requirements to qualify. You do not state your years to retirement. I will be relocating to Belize soon and have checked out the basics on receiving social security when you live in a foreign country. It is pretty easy. You just set up a direct deposit with Social Security. It seems better to use your US account and then use the Belize ATMs to use the money. It is easy to converty US to BZE currency. But not as easy to convery back from BZE to US. Also I suggest you go to the Social Security web site and read that part of it. Hope this was helpful.
Regards, Belizean@heart

I'm wondering what this QRP program is?  If anyone has any information on that, it would be great to hear about it.  I've also heard there's some civil unrest going on down there.  Is that mostly in Belize City?  When I come my daughter, son-in-law, friend and two grandchildren will most likely be coming with me and I don't want to put them in harms way.  I probably won't be relocating there for another 6 years at least.  I won't be able to collect Social Security (the full benefit) for another 19 years (so 13 by the time I move there) so I need to figure out how to get an income going when I get there.  Thanks for your help with figuring this out.

Christina