Pregnant and stressed out !

Hello All !!

I hope you all doing well,

I was advised to go through this website as i am stressed out about travelling to brazil !

My husband is going to travel to brazil for three months and he is planning to stay in rio. he wants me to accompany him. however i am very hesitant to travel as i am pregnant !

Added More i found many topics here talking about giving birth in brazil but they all seem scattered and unorganized. Many also are leaving bad comments and being very aggressive as they believe people are travelling to brazil for the need of a passport !

I went through many topics and i have the following questions :

there are two health care system private and public
in private:

1- I believe that perinatal hospital in rio is the top in rio ( however do i need to have a private obs/gyn to follow up there or i just go and follow up ? and do i need something called cmf number and sus ? and how to get these ?

2- Is there a good public hospital i can go to that is recommended in rio ?

3- I also read about the city Florianópolis that there are two good hospitals there  but isn't it far city from rio ( i will definitely need a medical certificate to be allowed to board to the hospital) i dont know how to get them !

4-  I have a 30 days , multiple entry valid for one year ! i will need to extend it ! do i have to go in person or shall my husband do it for me !

5- Is there any services that can provide help for foreigners and arrange these issues for them ? because i am really scared and worried !

6- i am a doctor and really worried about all these issues is there a community to help and assist me !

7- how to apply for cmf and sus numbers !?

8-  i keep on emailing hospitals but none of them replied to me

9-  Is rio safe for me to stay in !?

I sent you a message.

Hi extraxen,

I totally understand your concern as IŽve been to a similar situations in the past (pregnant in Europe - I am brazilian). I lived in Rio for about 4 years so I will try to answer your questions according to my own experiences and knowledge of Brazil.

1- I believe that perinatal hospital in rio is the top in rio ( however do i need to have a private obs/gyn to follow up there or i just go and follow up ? and do i need something called cmf number and sus ? and how to get these ?

Perinatal is considered to be one of the most luxury maternity hospitals in the country. You should, as soon as you arrive, look for a private obs near your neighborhood and he or she will see you every month until you are about 8 months, after that normally you will be going every week. Just be aware that the Cesarean rate in Brazil is one of the highest in the world, and most likely you obs will try to schedule one for you as well. Of course you can always look for a humanized doctor in order to have a humanized birth.

You will not need a CPF or a SUS number just to be admitted in a private hospital. CPF (Brazilian Taxpayer Registry) is needed only if you want to open a bank account, get credit, apply for a  jobs etc. To use a public service you only need a simple registration and CPF is not needed, only a valid ID that can be your passport. Heath sistem is free in Brazil and everyone can use it without a CPF

2- Is there a good public hospital i can go to that is recommended in rio ?

One of the best will be Hospital São Vicente de Paulo (HSVP), at Tijuca. Although I would not advise you to give birth in a public hospital  if you can afford a private one. You wont get a private individual room in a public hospital, the food are not that great and the staff in general are really busy so they tend to be not so polite and nice to us

3- I also read about the city Florianópolis that there are two good hospitals there  but isn't it far city from rio ( i will definitely need a medical certificate to be allowed to board to the hospital) i dont know how to get them !

Florianopolis is very far from Rio. Over 1000 km. You dont need to go that far to find a good hospital. There are many options of good and private maternity hospitals in RIo. I would advice you to contact a birth doula there that can help you throughout the whole process of finding the right doctors and hopital for you. There is this Facebook group called "Buxixo de mães" and you can post there asking to advices and aalso to find a Doula in Rio

4-  I have a 30 days , multiple entry valid for one year ! i will need to extend it ! do i have to go in person or shall my husband do it for me !

Each time you enter you are allow to stay for 6 months, so once you come into Brazil you will not need to extend until this period, but after that you have to go yourself

5- Is there any services that can provide help for foreigners and arrange these issues for them ? because i am really scared and worried !

You can hire a lawyer to take care of your paper work

6- i am a doctor and really worried about all these issues is there a community to help and assist me !

If you want help related to maternity, Buxixo de Mães is the facebook group for you. You can use google translator to help you out. Expat is the best community to talk about the life in Brazil as a forgneir

7- how to apply for cmf and sus numbers !?

SUS number you don't need it, just a SUS card that you have to go to a public UBS (unidade básica de saúde) in the neighborhood that you are going to live and take your ID with you. CFP you can apply
at http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/Aplic … /fcpf.asp, but again, you dont need one if you will be in Brazil only for 3 months

8-  i keep on emailing hospitals but none of them replied to me
You can call them instead

9-  Is rio safe for me to stay in !?
As long as you are in a good neighborhood (south zone area) is pretty safe (Copacabana,Leblom, Ipanema, Barra)

Hi Extraxen,

I think that Gaby covered all of your technical questions, but I have just a group that might help you with the more emotional side.

Christ Church in Rio de Janeiro runs this great toddlers' group you can find here on facebook. You don't have to be a member of the church it is open to everyone and anyone with babies or expecting.

Nearly all the women in the group are expats and had their babies in Rio de Janeiro recently, so they can help you directly with these questions. Two of them managed to have natural births, rather than cesarean if you prefer that option.

If you enter in contact with them I know they will be more than happy to help you out!  Everyone speaks English.