Animals, Insects, Fish, etc., that pose health risks in Brazil

Animals and Insects that pose health risks in Brazil

Tunga or Tunga Penetrans – commonly known as the “bicho de pé”, “bicho do porco” or simply “porco” here in Brazil. The tunga is the smallest known flea which is found in tropical and sub-tropical countries especially common in rural areas. Because unlike many other fleas it is not a good jumper the tunga generally attacks the foot (or other body parts that come in contact with the ground such as the buttocks and elbows when sitting). The female flea burrows beneath the host's skin where she lays her eggs which develop and fall to the ground. The lesion appears as a raised yellowish circle with a black center which is the hind portion of the parasite. While most cases are single penetrations, large scale infestations are not uncommon and can pose a serious health risk. The best means of prevention is to avoid walking barefoot, especially on ground where cows or pigs may be found. If you find a lesion the usual course of action is to completely remove the parasite with a needle or scalpel. It is best to have this done by a medical professional in order to avoid secondary infections. Left untreated more serious infestations may result and these are extremely painful.

Mosquitoes – there are many different species of mosquitoes in Brazil, the most dangerous being Aedes Aegypti, which is responsible for the transmission of both Dengue and Yellow Fever. The use of strong insect repellants is recommended.

Wasps – there are many different varieties of wasps “marimbondos” throughout Brazil. The most feared is the “marimbondo cavalo”. Wasps are extremely irritable and aggressive, they are provoked by movement or noise. Mass attacks are quite common. Unlike bees whose stinger tears away and remains in the skin, wasp stingers do not and thus they may sting several times in rapid succession. Even if you are not subject to allergic reactions their sting is extremely painful. The main concern as with most stings and bites is anaphylactic shock which can be fatal. If stung be particularly alert for any signs of swelling (not just at the sting site), chest tightness and/or difficulty breathing. If you present any of these symptoms you should seek immediate medical attention. To treat the stings and relieve the pain and itching one may use medications containing antihistamines, corticosteroid creams, cold compresses or ice. Care should be taken, if removing a wasp that has stung you, not to squeeze the abdominal area thus introducing more of its venom into the wound.

Spiders – there are countless different varieties of spiders in Brazil. The Brazilian Wandering Spider is considered the most deadly in the world. Their body can be about 5cm in length and overall size including the spider's long legs is about 15cm. It is generally dark brown in color and resembles a (rather thin) Tarantula but it is not fuzzy like one. The Black Widow Spider and Brown Recluse are responsible for most spider bites in Brazil. If bitten by any spider, seek immediate medical attention. If possible to kill the spider take its remains to the hospital with you to help doctors identify it.

Scorpions – An increasingly serious problem in urban areas. Vacant lots filled with garbage and debris has fueled a dramatic increase in their presence. Avoid entering vacant lots in the city and if hiking in rural or forested areas use substantial footwear and heavy socks. If stung by a scorpion seek immediate medical attention.

Snakes – while most snakes in Brazil are harmless those that are venomous can inflict fatal bites. Generally speaking the majority of poisonous snakes in Brazil belong to the viper family. The best known of these reptiles are the Rattlesnake “Jararaca or Cascavel” and the Coral Snake. The Coral Snake has red, yellow and black rings and should not be confused with the False Coral Snake which is not poisonous. To remember the differences just remember the rhyme “Red on Black – friend of Jack, Red on Yellow – kills a fellow”. The Coral Snake's red and black bands are separated by a yellow band, the False Coral Snake usually has only red and black bands, and sometimes they may have white bands separating two black bands or a thin white band between the red and black ones. Don't take any chances if bitten by any snake, if possible try to remove as much as the venom as you can and seek emergency medical attention. Most snake bites happen in urban areas so don't let your guard down just because you are in a big city. The neighborhood where I lived in Belo Horizonte had lots of Rattlesnakes and I have seen them here in São Paulo as well. Large constrictors such as the “Sucuri”, “Jiboia” and Anaconda can also be found in rural and forested areas of Brazil. Some grow to enormous proportions and while there are documented cases of attacks on young children, Capivaras being swallowed whole I am not so sure about the urban legend of adults who have gone missing being victims of their attack.

Capuchin Monkey “Macaco Prego” – the monkey is quite common in Brazil and quite accustomed to human presence. While in most cases they are playful and fun to watch there are cases where they have been known to be very aggressive especially if trying to steal food. Aside from nasty scratches or a very painful bite the monkey (along with mice, rats, rabbits/hares and dogs) may transmit Chagas Disease. Prevention being the best form of cure… observe these creatures from a respectful distance.

Leaches/Bloodsuckers “Sanguessugas” – there are more than 500 different varieties in Brazil, mostly in freshwater. If you swim, wade in or cross a body of freshwater be sure to check for these nasty little critters. While they are not a great health problem they can cause a lot of discomfort.

Piranhas and other carnivorous fish – mostly found in the Amazon and Pantanal, while a problem they are not the fearful flesh-eating monsters movies portray them to be.

Jellyfish – the “aqua-viva” is a real concern for anyone who likes to swim anywhere on the Brazilian coast. They inflict extremely painful stings when you encounter one. They do not attack humans as such, all encounters are quite accidental. Generally found in colonies it is best to get out of the water if someone on the beach gets stung in your area. Most coastal beaches with lifeguards will have signs posted warning of jellyfish in the area.

Thank you, Mr. Woodward, for this posting!  In the spirit of cooperation, and as an ecologist specializing in Brazil's wildlife, let me make some comments!

Mosquitoes:  The Aedes aegypti is the major carrier of the diseases mentioned.  The vast majority of individual mosquitoes, however, do not carry any disease, and do not occur everywhere.  The Pantanal, for example, does not have this species and does not have malaria, yellow fever, etc.

Wasps:   While there are a few cases of bee and wasp attacks each year in Brazil, the are certainly not common, given the number of species and individuals.  Most take quite a bit to rile, most of the time.  The best strategy for survival is to not upset them, don't talk loud, make sudden noises (don't scream!) etc, but once they star to swarm...RUN to shelter.  Don't stop running.  You can run faster than they typically fly, but they are persistent, so if you are in this unfortunate situation, run to shelter.

Spiders:  The Brazilian Wandering Spider is not just one species, but a generic name for the 8 species in the genus Phoneutria.  Curiously, the bite from these spiders also causes in men, a hours-long erection.  Hospitals can know what type of spider bit the patient with ease!  The chemical that causes this has been isolated, and may provide a natural cure to erectile disfunction.

Latrodectus mactans, the black widow spider, is endemic to the USA, but Latrodectus geometricus, the brown widow, grey widow, or brown button spider, is in Brazil.  The brown recluse spider, Loxosceles reclusa, is found throughout the south central and midwestern United States, but not in Brazil.  The US National Library of Medicine reports "Loxosceles adelaida spiders (Araneae, Sicariidae) are found near and inside the caves in the Parque Estadual Turistico do Alto Ribeira (PETAR), Sao Paulo, Brazil, which are visited by thousands of tourists every year. Several Loxosceles species are a public health problem in many regions of the world, by causing severe dermonecrosis and/or complement dependent haemolysis upon envenomation."  It should also be noted, however, that the majority of bites cause insignificant symptoms.  Occasionally, however, necrosis and other problems can arise, and it is best to get to a hospital.

None of the spiders mentioned here are particularly agressive...you really need to touch one to have a problem.  They will not go after you!

Scorpions:  Note that there are also several species of these, rather than just one...8 families, 48 genera and about. 800 species in the neotropics!

Snakes:  The Tropical Rattlesnake (Crotalus durissus) is the only rattlesnake species in Brazil.  It is called Cascavel.  Jararaca is Bothrops jararara, and the Bothrops genus has several species in Brazil.  Often misidentified as the fer-de-lance (also a Bothrops species, but endemic to the island of Martinique in the Caribbean), the correct English name for Bothrops jararaca is Jararaca, and B. jararacussu, Jararacssu.  The most of the rest of the genus has the English name “Lancehead”.  See the chart below.

Bothrops alcatraz (Alcatrazes Lancehead) (Critically Endangered)
Bothrops alternatus (Urutu) (Attributes)
Bothrops ammodytoides (Yararanata)
Bothrops andianus (Peruvian pitviper)
Bothrops asper (Terciopelo) (Attributes)
Bothrops atrox (Barba Amarilla, Fer-de-Lance, common lancehead) (Attributes)
Bothrops barnetti (Barnett's Lancehead)
Bothrops brazili (Brazil's Lancehead)
Bothrops caribbaeus (Saint Lucia lancehead) (Attributes)
Bothrops colombianus (Pitviper)
Bothrops colombiensis (Pitviper)
Bothrops cotiara (Cotiara)
Bothrops erythromelas (Caatinga lancehead)
Bothrops fonsecai (Fonseca's lancehead)
Bothrops iglesiasi (Sertao Lancehead)
Bothrops insularis (Golden Lancehead) (Critically Endangered)
Bothrops itapetiningae (Sao Paulo Lancehead)
Bothrops jararaca (Jararaca)
Bothrops jararacussu (Jararacussu)
Bothrops jonathani (Jonathan's lancehead)
Bothrops lanceolatus (Martinique lancehead) (Attributes)
Bothrops leucurus (White-tailed lancehead)
Bothrops lojanus (Lojan lancehead) (Endangered)
Bothrops marajoensis (Marajo lancehead)
Bothrops moojeni (Brazilian Lancehead)
Bothrops neuwiedi (Jararaca Pintada) (Attributes)
Bothrops pictus (Desert Lancehead)
Bothrops pirajai (Piraja's lancehead)
Bothrops sanctaecrucis (Bolivian Lancehead)
Bothrops venezuelensis (Venezuela Lancehead)

There are at least 19 species of coral snake, all in the Micrurus genus.  While the Red on Black – friend of Jack, Red on Yellow – kills a fellow, works in the USA, it is not true for all the coral species in Brazil.   They are dangerous as they have a neurotoxin which attacks the nervous system.  They do not inject their poison, like the other snakes we are discussing here, but rather have very small teeth and the venom is in their saliva.  They have to break the skin of their prey for the poison to enter the system. With small teeth, they would need to chew on a human!  For this reason only 2% of venomous snakebites at the UNICAMP hospital come from coral snakes (Bothrops spp.> 69.8% and Crotalus durissus (also with a neurotoxim) 28.2%

Only a very small percentage of all bites from the species discussed here result in death.  Necrosis is the most common result of a bite, but all bites need to be taken very seriously, including a trip to the hospital.

Interestingly, in the USA and probably in Brazil, most bites are on the hand of boys from 14 – 25 years old, as a result of trying to pick one up.  Go figure.

Capuchin Monkey:  There are several species of Capuchin in Brazil (see chart below), with the most common being Cebus apella, Brown Capuchin.  The endemic Black-tufted Capuchin, Cebus nigritis, is endemic to SE Brazil.  This is what the older readers may remember as the Organ Grinder Monkey, but that was a Mexican variety of Cebus apella.  This primate can carry Chagas, as we can as well, but I have not seen and cannot find any evidence that this can be spread with a bite, and suspect this is one more commonly believed and repeated myth in Brazil.

Other primates in the São Paulo region are an introduced marmoset, perhaps Callithrix penicillata, the endemic Black-ear-tufted Marmoset, although deforestation is blending the genus.  Just outside of Guarulhos is Southern Brown Howler, Aloutta fusca.

E = Endemic

Bare-ear Marmoset  Callithrix argentata melanura
Pantanal Marmoset ? Callithrix pantanensis
Buffy Tufted-eared Marmoset   Callithrix aurita
E Buffy-headed Marmoset   Callithrix flaviceps
E Geoffroy's Tufted-eared Marmoset  Callithrix geoffroyi
E Tassel-eared Marmoset   Callithrix humeralifer
E Common Marmoset   Callithrix jacchus
E Weid's Tufted-eared Marmoset  Callithrix kuhlii
E Maues Marmoset  Callithrix mauesi
E Black-headed Marmoset    Callithrix nigriceps
E Black Tufted-eared Marmoset  Callithrix penicillata
Pygmy Marmoset  Callithrix pygmaea

Piranhas etc:  Well stated!  They are not usually dangerous and most of Brazil's tropical rivers have several species.  One can swim in these rivers, but not a good idea if you are bleeding.

Again, I thank Mr. Woodward for his posting!

Hello Douglas,

Thanks so very much for your wonderful addition to this posting. Now with your comments I am sure that it will accomplish its intended task and save a lot of expats from pain and suffering.

Best regards,
James

Hi James, 

We work well together!

Cheers, Douglas

I think so too Douglas, I really look forward to your feedback every time I submit a post.

Cheers,
James

Hello all,

http://diariodeumamulherdespeitada.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/aedes_aegypti.jpg
The Aedes aegypti is the major carrier of the diseases: Dengue, Yellow Fever and Malaria. It continues to be a common problem in Brazil and the number of cases of Dengue on the rise again I thought it was about time to ressurect this old posting once again since it remains relevant. The comments of Douglas Trent are of particular importance so please read them carefully.

You can help prevent the spread of this disease by taking the following measures.

1. Eliminate any places where water can collect around your home, on your property or vacant lot; old tires, old sinks or toilets, pails and buckets, trays under flowerpots, uncapped bottles, etc.

2. Make certain that if your home has a waterbox (caixa de água) that it is tightly covered.

3. If you have a swimming pool or ornamental pond make sure that the pumps circulate the water constantly. If they are de-activated then make sure that no water is permitted to collect in the bottom of the pool or pond. The mosquito can breed in very small quantities of water so be constantly alert.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYsV-LgMCfehmqYey8Vxknkb33yioDMs6oMDeNJLh60hqctSpMWhat about the SCORPIONS? somebody asked me.

Personally I think they're great.... especially like their hits, Wind of Change and Won't You Send Me an Angel!!!

Seriously though, always turn your shoes upside down and shake them before putting them on your feet, the little critters love shoes, dark, damp and warm - yikes. Shake out gloves and other clothes before putting them on too.

Mosquito netting covering your bed at night is also a good idea.

Never walk around barefoot, especially at night.

You can also deter scorpions in natural ways:

Fix / plug any holes, cracks and other openings in walls where they might be entering.

Check for clothes dryer vents (should have sceens), places where cables, pipes, ducts enter your building, make sure they're all protected too. Put weather stripping on all loose fitting doors and windows.

Clean up the yard and area around your home, make sure you remove any potential hiding/breeding places such as piles of wood, rocks, debris, old tires. Raise garbage cans off the ground with bricks, etc.

If it will grow where you live, plant Lavender they hate the stuff. It's also a natural deterant for many kinds of creepy crawlers.

Catch and release is also helpful if you've got the courage and a long handled set of kitchen or barbecue tongs. Catch the little beasties, but them into a jar and release them somewhere far from your home.

Eliminate water sources, if you've got decorative ponds, old tires, anything that collects rainwater drain them and keep them drained. You will not only be depriving scorpions of something they love, but it also gets rid of breeding grounds for mosquitos which can be an even bigger health hazard than scorpions. Indoors be careful around sinks, toilets and showers for the same reason.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

LOL, William, I loved your comment about the SCORPIONS. Personally, MY favorites are "Girl, I'm Leavin' You" and "There's No One Like You".

Regarding EVERYTHING ELSE you talked about in your posts, YIKES! Now, are ALL of these creepy crawlies present THROUGHOUT Brazil? For example, are Scorpions present in Fortaleza?

And as far as fumigating for mosquitos, does Brazil themselves do a good job of that? I know in my visits to Cuba where Dengue also has been a problem off and on, they DO do a VERY good job of fumagating. Trust me, as someone with one of those "sweet" (as they call it) bloods that ATTRACTS mosquito bites I am always AWARE when they DON'T bite me. For example, one day while visiting Cuba when I walked outside in the early morning hours (which just like evening is the BEST time for mosquito bites, or WORST, depending how you LOOK at it!), I was suddenly literally ATTACKED by giant mosquitos that looked and acted more like mini kamakazee planes! I was even able to HEAR them coming! Then I found out that the plane that did the fumigating had broken down and THAT was when I realized how much good the fumigating does and how NECESSARY it is. So, again, how does the Brazilan goverment do on THAT front? And does it vary from area to area? For example, is fumigating uo to LOCAL government, majing it that maybe SP or Rio and even Fortaleza will all be different in that sense?

Yes, most of these insects, snakes, etc., are found all over Brazil. I'm not sure if the scorpions will be found in Fortaleza because of the heat, but they are usually only a problem if you have a vacant lot nearby with a lot of accumulated scrap.

Most of the Brazilian cities do little towards controlling the Aedes Aegypti mosquito except to send a city worker around to the homes checking for sources of accumulated water that will be a breeding ground for them.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Ok, thanks for the info, as always.

I do remember my partner mentioning once about one of those inspectors coming to her house while we were connected and doing exactly what you just said. It only now ocurred to me about whether or not they fumigate too.