Health Care in Rio - vaccine shots and other treatment needs

I was not able to complete the three shots for Hepatitis A & B vaccine before I left the US and have to do the third combined shot here. Can anyone tell me where I can do that (need specifically the Twinrix A/B brand)

Furthermore, can someone give me an advice for the hopefully not materializing case that I need health care treatment in Rio?

If I get something here, what hospital would you recommend to go to in Rio?

I have heard that the state hospitals will treat for free even foreigners – is that right? And is it going to be a good service and good idea to go see a doctor there?

If not, what are good and not too expensive other hospitals/clinics you would recommend in Rio?

I am on business visa, I dont have CEP or the Brazilian SSN and no Brazilian health insurance card or similar.

Thanks a lot!

Hello ivant,

If you read my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil" you will find out most all of the information you're going to need, especially regarding a CPF and Carteira de Trabalho which you're going to need.

You can get vaccinations at certain Postos de Saúde (Health Posts), you may have to ask at the one nearest you where the vaccinations are given because it's not all that do it. Generally most vaccinations are free of charge.

Public Hospitals (and usually those teaching hospitals associated with universities) offer free treatment even to foreigners. In most cases you'll only need your passport as ID. Private hospitals and private physicians are expensive, so be prepared. Public hospital Emergency Ward treatments or treatment at UPAs (Unidade de Pronto Atendimento)is usually reasonably good. If it's not something of an emergency nature, you'll be lucky to get a five minute consult with a physician who'll barely be able to diagnose your problem and just give you some medication to relieve pain or treat OBVIOUS symptoms.

I would highly recommend that you look into the purchase of Travel Health Insurance coverage before you leave home. It won't be anywhere near as expensive as being hit with a whopping hospital bill if something goes wrong here in Brazil.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it!