If you could live in Asia , where would you choose?

Yes true

ADNAN SHAFQAT wrote:

nice place for living and for enjoyment  in Pakistan islamabad some more good place in Pakistan for visting. try to vist in Pakistan.

The governments or foreign ministries of basically all developed countries currently advise against travel to Pakistan, because of the dangers of terrorism, kidnapping and crime.
Please do not post suggestions that could put our readers into serious risk!
(It is a real shame that a beautiful country like yours ends up like this due to stupid politics and religious ignorance.)

not terrorist not any bad habits in Pakistan now every thing is ok not kidnapping not any dangers don't afraid keep your mind strong.

ADNAN SHAFQAT wrote:

not terrorist not any bad habits in Pakistan now every thing is ok not kidnapping not any dangers don't afraid keep your mind strong.

I was unsure about this so I took a look at a selection of government sites that issue warnings and suggestions to their citizens abroad.
A few blanket covered Pakistan with very clear advice not to visit unless essential, but some (including the UK) were more specific, naming the tribal regions as places not to go at all, with more general but serious warnings about the rest of the country.

A look at the last larger terrorist attacks suggest anywhere near the border with Afghanistan is a bad idea.

On a brighter note, I'd love to see the India/Pakistan border closing ceremony.

Fred wrote:

I'd love to see the India/Pakistan border closing ceremony.

I'd prefer to see this and all other borders OPEN, not closed!
But probably, due to nationalist myopia worldwide, it will not happen in my lifetime.

beppi wrote:
Fred wrote:

I'd love to see the India/Pakistan border closing ceremony.

I'd prefer to see this and all other borders OPEN, not closed!
But probably, due to nationalist myopia worldwide, it will not happen in my lifetime.

Borders are a pain, just artificial lines that will (hopefully) one day be history, but this is one thing I'd love to see live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0ue-XGl9c

I have no desire to live in India or Pakistan but a month long food tour would be interesting.

Singapore ask "Jim Rogers"  the "Financial Guru"....

UAE or Egypt

What do you wanna know? I am from Nigeria but live in Kuwait

Where in Asia? Depends on what you need? Great expat package with modern lifestyles  and yet cheap for living standards and with a taste of a culture and a pang of madness and chaotic-ness -  Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Jakarta. If you looking for great package, modern lifestyle and everything is in order and expensive - Singapore, Hong Kong. The up and coming cities with a mix of old, madness and developments would be Cambodia, Laos, Mynmmar and Nepal is still rustic. Vietnam is advancing fast and yet still have the old charm. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh - depends if you get good expat packages as there are pockets in big cities where you find your modern comforts as an expat and its just such big countries you can't generalized which and which is great.

maybe japan ..

I've lived in Korea for a few years, have traveled to Thailand and Singapore, would love to live in Japan.

I choose Thailand because it fits my personality. If one is not forced to move to a specific country I would suggest visiting as many countries as you can and try sampling the country as a native would unless your preference is to live in a different country surrounded by those of your own nationality....

Thailand would be nice as well, although I haven't spent much time outside of Phuket.

Your just korea addict.

I would choose Singapore. That's because English is one of their languages there.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Off-topic.

@Donzeez19

Your posts are  :offtopic:

Has anyone tried a long stint in KL or Georgetown, Penang?

Malaysia is a great country

I don't seem to find any reliable figures on internet. Is it high speed in Georgetown, Penang?

bigfan wrote:

I don't seem to find any reliable figures on internet. Is it high speed in Georgetown, Penang?

Maybe you can post this question on the Malaysia forum. You're more likelöy to get an answer there.

So many amazing places I'd want to go. I'd love to see more of Japan, I was able to go there for 1 week only. I really want to try Cambodia! Maybe just short term though, not sure.

:)  try Cambodia and I predict you'll end up making it long term :top:  ...its not for everybody..but it is for most   :):cool:

Oh really?? What's the lifestyle there like? I'm actually not sure how I would handle the heat but it seems like such an interesting place!

I am from India, very typical and peaceful country i Asia region.
Many religion survive together and this is speciality if India, Goa I found very much deciplened city.
Regards

Chill and laid back :cool:  ..of course I guess it depends on where you are coming from how laid back you think it is lol. I am extremely cold natured so for me, even though I'll definitely complain about the heat when it's really bad, reminding oneself of no winter makes it all worthwhile. If you fancy a drink now and again beers are generally about $1 in bars but you can still find happy hour beers for $.50. In Siem Reap there are apparently a lot of bard that do $.50 beer all day :D  cause there are at least 10? signs outside 10 different establishments proclaiming such...anyway, you should definitely try it out..come for a month...sty for 100 :):cool:

Welcome and appreciate my post thanks you very much
Regards

Hahah is that what you did? Are you there now? Thanks for the insight! If I can make it happen I definitely will~

I had the chance to go to China, late 2007, through a scholarship program organized by a Chinese provincial government. Since then, I have spent about 9-10 years in China and other Asian countries, where I have visited most of them, and even some of them few times for business. Now, if I had to do the same thing but differently, I will still choose China, as it is a very big country and it will naturally take years to visit it well. I will chose to be based in Shanghai. Life in Shanghai is great, a very fast city, truly international, and foreigners loves it because of its thrilling night life and also great life style. Foreigners a welcome, and Chinese loves them. Aside from that, flight tickets to other countries are relatively cheap. It will first take you sometime to visit most of China's interesting provinces, as most of them have things to offer, and understand the deeply rooted Chinese culture, and taste hundreds of new dishes. You also can start visiting other countries at the same time, from Shanghai as a base, it will be much easier. Tons of budget flights are available out of Shanghai, and also Hong Kong. If you do not want to pay international flight taxes, which are quite high. You might want to first fly to Shenzhen, then cross the borders to Hong Kong, then flight out of Hong Kong. I hope it helps you. If you have other questions feel free to reach out. Cheers

I definitely agree with though I did not visit China yet except Hong Kong.. was there on 2014. Thanks for the insight but what about pollution, reports say it is intense andhazardeous, how far is that from the truth.. Cheers

Singapore is by and large the best country in Asia! English speaking, well regulated, well educated and prosperous.

Hi Hajer, the most polluted city in China is Beijing due to heavy coal burning for energy purpose, then Guangzhou is also very polluted, both have Hazardous air pollutants 2-3 days a week in average due to surrounding thousands of factories. Shanghai air has naturally some level of pollution, but it is not that high or dangerous. You might want to download an air quality check application.

SA HUSSAIN wrote:

Singapore is by and large the best country in Asia! English speaking, well regulated, well educated and prosperous.

But is if fun for exploring?
Could a traveller with an open mind and sense of adventure live there for 10 years and still find something new every day?

Fred wrote:
SA HUSSAIN wrote:

But is if fun for exploring?
Could a traveller with an open mind and sense of adventure live there for 10 years and still find something new every day?

I lived there for 12 years and wasn't bored a single minute.
But many others are.
It depends on you more than on the place!

Japan is my dream country so...there you have it :D

I'm actually not n the USA at the moment. Will be back in Cambodia in June. Hope to see you there!

it depends,if u eanna,choose a place whic h can make u safe and secure,u r supposed to choose Japan or China,if u r a appetite alwaysbe  attracted by cuisine,i bet u will pt China first the reason u know no else.

Fred wrote:
ADNAN SHAFQAT wrote:

I was unsure about this so I took a look at a selection of government sites that issue warnings and suggestions to their citizens abroad.
A few blanket covered Pakistan with very clear advice not to visit unless essential, but some (including the UK) were more specific, naming the tribal regions as places not to go at all, with more general but serious warnings about the rest of the country.

A look at the last larger terrorist attacks suggest anywhere near the border with Afghanistan is a bad idea.

On a brighter note, I'd love to see the India/Pakistan border closing ceremony.

I love to visit Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India. But unfortunately, I found there are many different things, not safer at anymore for foreigners, I've been to Sri Lanka,  the government charging high tax due to that we have to pay the almost double price than local, let's say if you order a beer in the 5-star hotel the cost will b 10 25USD/ bottle.

I live in Bangkok, for quite awhile now, and that goes ok.  It strikes a good balance for being modern with access to pretty much anything that exists in "the West" while still preserving an older local culture.  Thais are nice, and the food is pretty good, with the tropical fruit selection particularly amazing.  Even without visiting nearby countries there is lots to see in Thailand, with lots of other places nearby.

It's harder to judge what it would be like living in other countries based on only visiting them on vacation (or a little for work).  If you wanted to live in a relatively modern environment a lot of the rest of SE Asia might be less desirable, but then beyond superficial appearances even the least developed countries still have lots of similar options.  In particular in SE Asia I loved Hanoi, visiting the island of Java, and Taipei.  Japan definitely has as cool a look, as interesting a culture, and as good food as anywhere else but I'd think that culture might not be comfortable for most foreigners to try and adjust to.  China is particularly interesting to me, but then we've had really good experiences in South Korea too.

Singapore is a unique case, really by far the most modern South East Asian country, and relatively open related to being a mixed background culture.  We've visited Singapore more than any of those other places and it's nice there but I don't think I'd want to live there due to it being on the smaller side, an island not much bigger than a normal city.  I think it would be the easiest place in Asia for a foreigner to adjust to, related to English use and those other factors.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR