Intercultural relationships in Honduras

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Honduras. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Honduras.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Honduras?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Remember that Hondurans are extremely close to their families and if you like it or not you will be at times on the outside looking in. They can be rocky roads, as there is not a system of fair play in Honduras and its culture reflects it. A piece of advice, learn Spanish and if you do not like football then begin liking it or, at least learn about it. Then you can watch the games with the males of your wife's family. Going the other way around, Honduran men do not have a reputation as being faithful, yet there are exceptions to the rule.

Been married to my Honduran wife for just over 12 years. She just became a US Citizen and loves The US. There are more Hondurans wearing USA T-shirt's and ball caps than Americans so it looks. She's proud and I'm happy for her. Family is extremely important to Hondurans especially the woman. I've never had a negative situation with a Honduran male knowing I'm married to a Honduran woman. I will admit that I have wondered if they don't agree with it. But, I have lots of male friends without any mention of any issue. Woodrowdunn mentioned soccer. Me... don't like at all. Everyone knows this but I guess me acting like I like it would have made things worse lol. If a Honduran friend of mine is a soccer fenatic and I have told him I'm not into soccer at all.... I'll switch the conversation to something else along with letting him know why I don't like soccer. Speaking Spanish.... I speak Spanglish ... a mix. I understand it more than I can speak it. Works out fine for the Hondurans and myself  I'm around quite a bit. When in Honduras my wife and I go out for brunch and dinner every day. When in The US if not eating out I cook. Why do I cook ? I like to and get to cook American types of food. Not into eating tortillas, beans, rice, in every other meal. Works out great as she loves my meals 😉

Interesting response! Best of Luck with all! Do not like football, beans and tortillas???

Once a year at best 😃

I am an American man married to a Honderena. We have lived together very happily in both countries. My wife has dual citizenship. I have found the Honduran people to be super friendly and totally accepting. My Spanish was poor and my wife's English was poor when we met.  Her English now is very good and my Spanish a little better.. We are Very Happy!

Sadly I have not had the pleasure of being married to a Honduran lady yet. My late wife was Brazilian but unfortunately she passed fourteen years ago. I admire the fact that the Honduran ladies are strong believers in family unity because I also believe in the same. I have had many things come and go in my life such as friends and businesses but the one constant that has always been there for me is my family.
I will soon be moving to Roatan to live and I hope to one day share the same happiness as you guys with a lovely Honduran lady.
Soccer teams are only as good as their last win but family lasts always.

Beautiful how you said it all

Thank you Karisbad for acknowledging my thoughts as I really appreciate your thoughts also. Perhaps I am mistaken or misguided but it seems to me that society in general is being manipulated into the belief that success in life is based on money and power. It seems that less and less focus is placed upon the wealth of unity within the family bond. From my experience in life it seems to me that the island women and also the central and South American women still hold on to the love of family. As I wrote previously, money and power comes and goes, trust me on this, but a solid family will always be there for you if you are willing to give your love and respect unconditionally to those who really matter.
Just my thoughts.

Hondurans ususually are open to intercultural relationships, however if you are not familiar with Honduran culture then you need to be careful. Often fair play is only talked about and family is everything. Some couples over come the differences, but most do not! Funny?? When a friend was given sea turtle meat for the first time and did not know what it was. He had a girl friend from the Mosquitia, and sea turtle is a popular dish!!

Not love, but obsession! You will remain an outsider, do not forget that!

Yeah unfortunately the western civilization especially is so materialistic oriented creating only ambitious and go getters greedy selfish and insensitive people I just got one of that experience recently after surgery of my hip nobody is there to help including my own son I would do anything for him so I'm shocked and disappointed
I teach him different and don't understand what got into him I will remember not sure if I can forgive same for few friends I count on turn out they are not friends at all
It's heartbreaking that this era creating monsters more and more around us
It's so stupid actually this rush after money as we all know you never take anything with you when  you die
It's very well done manipulation
I was hoping that last year bring some worldwide awaking not sure I see that yet
It's ok as there are still some people who are like you and me who prefer love care and empathy
Take care and spread the message

Yeah I agree but I have big disappointment in my own family even strangers wouldn't do what they did so it's not always a rule even I still think love and trust for God a family first than the country
Even in my case it's exception as I think it all starts from the smallest unity family than the community country and the world
Take care
Thanks for your reply