Intercultural relationships in the Cayman Islands

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in the Cayman Islands. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in the Cayman Islands.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in the Cayman Islands?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Cayman is a rather special and unusual place for expats, in that there are a hundred or so nationalities present at any one time. Intercultural relationships are the norm. Anybody who has read my blog will know all about the social tensions between native-born Caymanians and the expat community as a whole, but those tensions don't stop personal pairings!

A few years ago I wrote some columns for a website called Expat Focus. I just happened to visit it recently and thought this one below might be useful for prospective immigrants to Cayman. (And I've absolutely no idea why the photo of me is so stupidly huge. Sorry!)
expatfocus.com/c/aid=448/columnists/gordon-barlow/caymans-expats---57-varieties-and-counting/

And another of those columns is also relevant to the topic of intercultural relationships:
expatfocus.com/c/aid=664/columnists/gordon-barlow/mixed-marriages-in-the-cayman-islands/

Interesting? I hope so. But if not, there is always my blog - especially the earlier posts, which were written for a local audience.

Another angle on the intercultural/international mix in Cayman is evidenced by the medical expertise available. My wife has several medical problems, and is exposed to a wide variety of doctors, pharmacists  and nurses. We have had dealings with individuals from Jamaica, Barbados, Canada, India, Trinidad, Norway, Germany, England and of course Cayman. Our personal dentists are from the USA and Jamaica. And our son works for a hospital-maintenance company;  his colleagues are from Canada, USA and Philippines and the hospital itself is staffed almost entirely by Indians (real Indians, that is, from India - not West-Indian Indians!)