EA Form

Hi all,

I just would like to ask about EA form andj tax filing.

As I quit the previous company in January and working for a new conpany right now from Feb. The previous company informed that tax clearance is not required as this is voluntary resignation and I do not leave Malaysia for more than 3 months.

However, I just concern about the tax filing. The previous company deducted tax from salary every month. Do I need to file the tax for 2016? Do I need to request for EA from the previous company?

Thank you.

Janis

You need to  file a tax return every year.

Right now it sounds like you need to file for 2017 and 2016.

If your salary is under RM 34,000 per annum you are not subject to income tax.

The Form to use is the BE.

Hi Gravitas,

Thanks a lot for your response.

As I'm not really clear about Tax issue, I'm quite confused.

Before, I received response like this from my previous company:

"Please be informed that, if the employee is under NR tax and the employee become a residence tax, the tax might be reduced. However, there is no refund to employee bank account”

Based on your information, I will need to file tax for every year. I did that for 2016.

However, in order to file the tax for 2017, I will need to have EA form of 2016 (if I'm correct). So it means, I will have to request for EA 2016 from the previoud company since I only change to new company from Feb 2018 ?

Hope I can have the explanation about this as I'm very confused.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Janis

2. This is not true:
"Please be informed that, if the employee is under NR tax and the employee become a residence tax, the tax might be reduced. However, there is no refund to employee bank account”

NR (non-resident) tax is only payable for the first 182 days

The difference between 28% NR tax and the progressive tax steps according to salary level, IS REFUNDED by the tax office (if the company actually EVER PAYS IT TO THEM).

Tax filing is done retrospectively to check the tax deducted by the employer etc. is correct and to claim your tax allowances.

To file for 2017 - you use the form for 2017

Hi Gravitas,

I do have both Employment Pass and Tax number. Besides, I've been Malaysia for 7 years (study then work) and paying tax for 2 years so obviously, I cannot be under NR tax.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Please advise me if what I'm saying is correct.

The previous company must provide me EA and I will file tax for 2017 based on that as I worked fhere the whole 2017.

Regards,

Janis

You can get the form from your current employers - or better still efile your tax return on the LHDN website.

You must have done tax clearance to change jobs, so you should have most if not all of the tax information to hand for 2017 to complete the tax return.

Hi Gravitas,

I didn't do the Tax Clearance according to the previous company's response as below:

"However, the employer is not required to send notification about the employee ceasing employment or withhold money payable to him if:

a.Employee is subject to MTD and deduction has been made by the employer.

b.Employee`s remuneration is less than the minimum income subject to MTD.

c.Employer is aware that the employee is to be employed elsewhere in Malaysia."

Besides, i just started with the new company from Feb 2018. Will they be able to provide me EA 2017 or any information for Tax Filing 2018?

Really sorry because I'm really not clear on Tax issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Janis

The tax filing due now is for January-December 2017.

http://www.hasil.gov.my/

Your old company should provide the EA update so you can file the BE form. You need them to confirm your tax deductions etc.

To get a new EP with a different company immigration always require tax clearance to be done.

Hi Gravitas,

May i know if the previous company was correct that the Tax clearance was not required in my case.

And besides, in order to do Tax Filing for 2017, I would need EA 2017 for all the information of tax paid in 2017 since I didn't do Tax Clearance. So I have the right to request the previous company to provide EA 2017?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Janis

To get a new EP with a different company, immigration always require tax clearance to be done. This is for a Professional Pass Category I, II and III.

You can check the requirements here: https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/TC-ES … r-2017.pdf

Yes previous company should give you the form EA with a summary of your tax deductions for 2017 so you can file your return.

They should also give you an EA for January 2018 but you just keep that until you file for Tax Year 2018 next year, together with current employment info.

Hi Gravitas,

Thanks a lot for your information.

Really appreciate your help. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Janis

Here is the BE 2017 form

http://lampiran1.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfbo … 2017_2.pdf

This form is only for viewing and the Malay version has to be filed

This link is to the explanatory notes

http://lampiran1.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam … 2017_2.pdf