Does anyone know if I can obtain a Mauritian passport through descent?

Hi everyone,

My grandmother has a Mauritian passport, does anybody know if I can obtain one too, through her?

Thanksalot!
Claire

Welcome on Expat.com Claire ;)

I have moved your thread to Mauritius forum for more visibility. I hope that other members will be able to bring some clarifications about this issue.

By the way what is your nationality? South African??

Regards

Thanks alot Yud! :)

Yes, I'm South African.

I've tried three times to upload a pic, the upload seems succesful, and the green line goes all the way, but then nothing happens. What do you think is wrong?

Chat soon,

Claire

Hi Claire,

we are currently re-designing this feature, everything should be fine tomorrow or wednesday.

Cheers,

Julien

Claire,

This is not a definitive answer, for that you should contact the Prime Minister's Office (PMO).  As far as I am aware, the PMO is responsible for these matters.

I acquired Mauritian nationality by descent (from my father, as at the time it was not possible through my mother), but to the best of my knowledge, should I have children born outside of Mauritius, they will not be eligible for Mauritian nationality unless their Mother is a Mauritian-born national.  If this is case, it is dependent on whether or not your mother or father was born in Mauritius.

I would recommend contacting the PMO, but don't expect a reply anytime soon.  If you have a contact in government or close to it, that may prove to be useful.  To confuse matters further, past laws on nationality were quite complex, with many eligible for Mauritian citizenship losing this right.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Thank you Stephen,

I appreciate this.

Is it easy to come and live there without a Mauritian passport?
I am South African, and a nurse, but have been selling medical for 7 years. So would probably like to carry on doing that.
I'm a single mom, and at 37, would like to immigrate before I get too old.

Cheers,
Claire

I think others would be in a better position to answer this.  I do know that there is a big push towards medical tourism, so there are probably opportunities in this domain. 

Might be best to create a new topic with a suitable subject to attract readers who have more knowledge of this area.

Stephen.

If I understand well, that implies that if you married a Mauritian woman then your children will definitely have  access to Mauritian Passport, and probably The husband will have access to Mauritian Citizenship...Right???

to me this does seem logical, but I am not sure...does anyone else know?

gpaleol wrote:

If I understand well, that implies that if you married a Mauritian woman then your children will definitely have  access to Mauritian Passport, and probably The husband will have access to Mauritian Citizenship...Right???

Yes, however your grandchildren if not married to a Mauritian or if not born in Mauritius would not be eligible.  So the right of nationality by blood and not soil extends to one generation only.  Hope that clears it up.  Of course, the PMO will be better able to advise as there have been revisions to the laws concerning this in past.  The above is to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers,

Stephen.

You get MAuritian Citizenship by decent. This is a fact. What you have to know that it is in fact 'direct descent'. The trick here will lie in getting your mom's citizenship first, and from there you can be eligible. It a lengthy process though (6 months minimum).

Still it depends on the PMO.  you can check their website or give a call to the Home Affairs department.

Please let me know that if as a Mauritian by birth -aged 81-I migrate to Australia in July 1972 . Am I eligible for a Mauritian Passport.

91Holland wrote:

Please let me know that if as a Mauritian by birth -aged 81-I migrate to Australia in July 1972 . Am I eligible for a Mauritian Passport.

Best you contact the Mauritian Embassy in Canberra for the information.You would probably need at least your Mauritian birth certificate.

@91Holland Yes you are eligible for Mauritius citizenship as I understand you are born in 1934 in Mauritius. In fact, you are automatically considered as a Mauritian and is able to request a Mauritian ID at the Civil Status Office. However, to be secure and to avoid doubt you can request a certificate of citizenship from the Prime Minister's Office, Citizenship Department in Port Louis. It is under Section 16 of the MCA but you need to be patient, the processing time can take one year. Hope this will help you.