Purchasing a property on a Visa

Has anyone had experience wanting to purchase a property on Ancestry Visa? I wonder if the main large banks would allow you the loan and at a reasonable interest rate. Here in Australia you need a 20% deposit to not pay mortgage insurance

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is our Handy Tools link, if you select that, you will be able to access our Expat Guides that may contain information helpful in planning your journey.

To answer your specific questions:

UK bank interest rates are currently low, so I suspect no issue there.

Your main issue here will be that you won't have a credit rating for at least 2-years from having opened a UK bank account; without this, I suspect you will struggle to get a mortgage from any UK bank and may end up having to rent something until you have your credit rating.  My advice is to contact the UK banks now (Google is your friend) and ask the question there.

Once you've read our Expat Guides, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hiya, I've been living In Inverness for 2 years and yes as I'm an Irish citizen and Aussie permnanet resident , I had to wait till now to buy a flat, I could not eveb get a mobile phone and plan as I had no credit rating and had to but my phone outright, on the plus side property here is a good price with repayments not much more than renting , however with renting we pay council tax (shire rates )

irishaussie wrote:

Hiya, I've been living In Inverness for 2 years and yes as I'm an Irish citizen and Aussie permnanet resident , I had to wait till now to buy a flat, I could not eveb get a mobile phone and plan as I had no credit rating and had to but my phone outright, on the plus side property here is a good price with repayments not much more than renting , however with renting we pay council tax (shire rates )

Thanks for the input; I only have one comment, in the UK you pay council tax on all housing, both owned and rented.