Climate in Malaysia

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any personal information on how the climate (weather) has been in Malaysia lately.  I've have seen and read many disturbing things on the increases in flooding, rain, heat, and humidity, and would like to get the perspective from any expats who actually live there.

I am considering a move to Penang, or Ipoh.

Thanks,

Dante

Penang weather has been different for the last 2 years. It was affected by the El Nino in 2016 with over 7-8 months of temperatures about 1-2 degrees above normal. After that it returned to normal, but then from August 2016 to now, there has been more rainfall than normal. There have been a couple of passing Typhoons which brought strong wind and rain. The humidity is possibly lower right now because the temperatures are a couple of degrees lower on some days. Although strong sun after rain causes evaporation and a rise in humidity for a short period.

Weather patterns all over the world are changing.

Ipoh has one of the wettest and most humid climates because it is inland and therefore is affected by seasonal changes in temperature.  The wettest place in peninsular Malaysia is said to be Taiping.

Gravitas,

You moved to Malaysia from England, correct?  Has the temperature change been difficult for you?  I lived in England for 4+ years and it never really got too hot there, nor did it get humid.  How hot/humid does it typically get in Penang?  Can you give me a brief summary of the seasonal temps?

Thanks,

Dante

I've lived in Malaysia since 2010. First in KL and now on Penang Island. I grew up in the far east so found adapting reasonably easy. I had lived in various countries and not much in the UK (although I was in the UK for 3 years before coming to Malaysia).

It only takes about a year for the body core temperature to adapt, and scheduling activities at different times of the day is necessary. But aircond helps and is almost everywhere. I don't use it at all, only ceiling fans.

The days activity seems to begin at about 6.30 am and it is light at about 7-7.30 am It is relatively cool until 10 am and again from 8.00 pm onwards. If you download The Weather Channel to your phone you can track the weather. Climate charts are available on Wikipedia.

Most people can't wait to live in a warm and sunny environment. If you are finding excuses, then it sounds like it's not a serious consideration.