Going out in Cologne

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Cologne?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

If you like a hot ghoulash, this is the best one I know. You can also buy the finished product or just the sauce canned:
ungarntipps.de/ungarische-gaststaette-puszta-huette-koeln.shtml

Hi there - I can recommend two great places I have been recently:

I enjoyed El Inca (Latin American restaurant) and Bar de Tapas (Tapas Bar)

Both were great!

I know a number of events which might interest English-speakers.

First of all, if you like to sing, there's a karaoake show every weekend in Jameson's Irish Pub, not far from Friesenplatz.  The show runs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, and is generally considered one of the best karaoake shows in Cologne, and attracts a large english-speaking crowd.

Secondly, for those who wish to practice their english, or just speak to other native speakers, there is "Thursday Night Drinks Club", which meets, surprisingly enough, on a Thursday. The club moves round, so you will probably have to find the Facebook page or event to find out where the next one is.  The next one at the time of writing is on March 8th in Jameson's (again).

For people who like the theatre, but don't feel their german is up to scratch, the Theater Am Sachsen Ring runs plays in english.  The "TAS" isn't far from Chlodwigplatz or Ulrepforte tram stops.  I can recommend the two recent productions in english : "A Special Relationship" : a stand-up comedy piece about the difference between Brits and Americans, and "Phil Noir", a tongue-in-cheek pastiche of 30's film noir detective stories.

I can also recommend "Hollywood's Comedy Nights" : an all-english language stand-up comedy show, which happens every month at Flanagan's Irish Pub in the Altstadt.  I like this a lot, mainly because I'm in it. The show attracts a lot of English and American comedians : for example, Lois Bromfield, who used to write "Roseanne", and Bengt Washburn are scheduled for the next two months.  The next show is March 14th.  Booking details can be found at

comedynights.de/

As for live music, Flanagan's hosts live music on Thursdays, and Jameson's has live music on a Saturday, before Karaoake.  Jameson's also shows football, as does Flanagan's and the Corkonian, another smaller Irish pub in the Altstadt.

If anyone can add anything here, please feel free.

Just a small addendum :

For lovers of english-language cinema, you can watch all the latest films in English at Metropolis Kino, at Ebertplatz. 

Films and times can be found on metropolis-koeln.de/

thanks for all these addresses ! :)