Need Job To Acquire Work Visa?

Hi guys! I'm moving to Vietnam in 2 weeks to work as a teacher. It looks like I'll need a work visa, but I can't get one unless I already have an employer. Is it possible to arrive, begin working, and have your employer write a letter for a work visa once you've started? Thanks for the replies!

That's essentially how it works.  However to clarify a few apparent misconceptions:

1) Your employer applies for and receives a work permit on your behalf.  Although you may have to do much of the legwork yourself and supply the relevant documents, you do not get a work permit, your employer does.  If you change employers, you must enable a new work permit with your new employer.  You have a reasonable amount of time from entry (3 months?) on a tourist visa to apply for a work permit.  When I got around to applying, I was in the country for over a year and hence had to provide an affidavit of self support for that time. 

2)  There is no "work visa" per se.  Once you have a work permit in your name, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Card (TRC)  It used to be three years but I think it is down to two now.  The TRC replaces the need for any visa and can be used at exit and reentry to the country along with your passport of course.  It also should be shown to the local police wherever you live.  Your landlord should assist with this.

Hi,

So what documents do you need to bring prior to arriving in order to obtain a work visa.

Thanks
T

Hey!

Yes, you need a job in order to get the work permit. Once you get a job, your company will begin sorting it out for you, and you have to provide them with the correct documents. Some places may not even require you to have one- tons of people work illegally!

I wrote a guide to the documents you should bring with you in order to get through the process as quickly, cheaply and easily as possible! Here's the link: ***

All the best,

Hannah

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : Certains external link are not allowed on the forum, thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

Is the TRC easy to renew after the two years?

howfarillpho wrote:

Hey!

I wrote a guide to the documents you should bring with you in order to get through the process as quickly, cheaply and easily as possible! Here's the link: ***

All the best,

Hannah

This link would have been very useful given the description but it is dead

QPR_FC wrote:
howfarillpho wrote:

Hey!

All the best,

Hannah

This link would have been very useful given the description but it is dead

You realize that post is two years old, right?

Yes, but you read it so I'm hoping that Hannah will too  :)

THIGV wrote:

That's essentially how it works.  However to clarify a few apparent misconceptions:

1) Your employer applies for and receives a work permit on your behalf.  Although you may have to do much of the legwork yourself and supply the relevant documents, you do not get a work permit, your employer does.  If you change employers, you must enable a new work permit with your new employer.  You have a reasonable amount of time from entry (3 months?) on a tourist visa to apply for a work permit.  When I got around to applying, I was in the country for over a year and hence had to provide an affidavit of self support for that time. 

2)  There is no "work visa" per se.  Once you have a work permit in your name, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Card (TRC)  It used to be three years but I think it is down to two now.  The TRC replaces the need for any visa and can be used at exit and reentry to the country along with your passport of course.  It also should be shown to the local police wherever you live.  Your landlord should assist with this.

If this thread is going to come back from the dead, might as well magnify a useful answer... 😉

QPR_FC wrote:

Send her a PM.  She may not be visiting this site any longer but a PM should put a notice in her email inbox.

THIGV wrote:
QPR_FC wrote:

Send her a PM.  She may not be visiting this site any longer but a PM should put a notice in her email inbox.

Could you kindly confirm whether the validity of a TRC remains two years.

andidips wrote:

Could you kindly confirm whether the validity of a TRC remains two years.

I never got a TRC as I had a VEC which used to be simpler and not require a border run.  I believe, based only on what I have read on this site, that the TRC will be a maximum if two years or for as long as the labor contract that the WP is based on.  So if the labor contract is only one year, the TRC will be too.  Please note that this is not based on personal experience and may be in error.

Hopefully someone who has had a work based TRC lately can confirm or refute this.

I have been progressing with this and hit a hurdle already.
My degree and TEFL both need 'Legalisation', so I contacted UK Embassy and they told me that I need to go to UK and have the 2 steps performed there.
A solicitor/notary first needs to  certify the document as a true copy, then the Legalisation Dept of the Government needs to check the signatures on the certificates as being a real Professor/Dean of the University.......so given COVID-19 I was informed that there are no exceptions/lenience.
As I have the original documents here with me in Da Nang, they told me to use a courier and have the work performed in UK.

This is all becoming 'too difficult' at the second step (the first step was finding a job and negotiating a salary and work contract).

It almost makes you want to work illegally as the obstacles are too big to climb in a short timeframe....the job needs me now and I want the job now!!

PS. I've already had 3 out of 3 parcels go missing from both Australia (Mobile phone) and UK (Banking gadget to logon to my account online)....I don't trust my certificates in the post.

Now looking for an agent and brown paper bag approach....any recommendations that you are happy to Direct Message me with?? Please?

QPR_FC wrote:

I have been progressing with this and hit a hurdle already.
My degree and TEFL both need 'Legalisation', so I contacted UK Embassy and they told me that I need to go to UK and have the 2 steps performed there.
A solicitor/notary first needs to  certify the document as a true copy, then the Legalisation Dept of the Government needs to check the signatures on the certificates as being a real Professor/Dean of the University.......so given COVID-19 I was informed that there are no exceptions/lenience.
As I have the original documents here with me in Da Nang, they told me to use a courier and have the work performed in UK.

This is all becoming 'too difficult' at the second step (the first step was finding a job and negotiating a salary and work contract).

It almost makes you want to work illegally as the obstacles are too big to climb in a short timeframe....the job needs me now and I want the job now!!

PS. I've already had 3 out of 3 parcels go missing from both Australia (Mobile phone) and UK (Banking gadget to logon to my account online)....I don't trust my certificates in the post.

Now looking for an agent and brown paper bag approach....any recommendations that you are happy to Direct Message me with?? Please?

Check this lady out.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : No external FB links, pls.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct