Furnishing a Caye Caulker Cabin

I have a little bit of land on the north side of the Caye, across from the koko king, and it has a small cabin on it I'll live in while planning to build out a bit. I bought a fridge, but I need almost everything else.

Some questions (esp islanders!)
- What should I bring from the states in my luggage?
- Where should I shop  (including Belize city) for furniture & appliances?
- What don't I know to ask about?

thanks, all!

No idea of your age, But some of the bigger hardware shops in BC and Belmopan give discount to 'old people' for cash. It's always worth asking as they can only say no.

Thanks! I'm in that awkward age: 51. ;)

Courts will always give you 10% discount for cash regardless of age,  even when paying with a credit card they usually deliver free too, but i don't live on the Cayes might explain that. Hummingbird will give a discount  for actual cash if you ask for it, but not if you using credit card. Hope that helps. There is a large furniture place In SI, can't remember the name, but in the middle of town. I got my  beautiful dining table and chairs, made from Poison wood, also got a couple of smaller items too and I got a good discount there also about 12 &1/2 % and free delivery to Belmopan. Age never questioned.

Where is SI?

Sorry      I should have said  San Ignacio.  also often just called "Cayo"  particularly by Belizeans. its the twin town with Santa Elena out west near the Guatamalan border.

I've got similar questions regarding what to bring or ship down vs what to just buy locally.  For instance should I ship down my rice cooker, crockpot, computer monitor, etc? Or do the shipping and taxes make it more expensive than just buying new items when we arrive? Or is there any household item that is particularly hard to find that I should plan on bringing with me?

Hi Keri! So far everyone (I'm talking to off this site) says Linens are a must-bring. Sheets just aren't as nice in Belize, I guess.
I did a little shopping in Belize City, and found many acceptable appliances, though pricier than the states still less than shipping. Choice is limited, so favorite things (like a really good knife, if you are a chef) you should bring.
Maybe you should come down for a little visit and shop? I'm going down new years, and just packing a suitcase. Then I'll be shopping shopping shopping!

Hi cwodtke, just curious, did you buy the property on the eastern shore of the north island, with the small updated shack?  It is listed on ReMax at $179,000 (not marked "Sold" or "Under Contract" yet).  That's the only property I can think of that fits your description.  We really liked that piece of land, we just didn't want to need a boat to get across the split to the village.

Regardless, Best Wishes & Good Luck with your plans.

In regards to furnishing, shipping, etc, when you are ready to make the final move here, I would strongly recommend looking into the QRP for no other reason than the waiver of import duties, in the first year, on household items, a car, a boat, a plane (if you've got on laying around!) and most anything else, except tools and/or building materials.  We did the "cost effectiveness" analysis (shipping costs vs purchasing in country, or not doing QRP and paying duty) and have decided that will be our process should we decide to buy/build here. Definitely a cost saver for furnishing/appliancing a new home.

We're currently in a nice 9-month rental, just south of the village proper, with all sorts of options at the end of 9-months, except return to the states.  Time will tell.  We've been here since 9/30 and have not had one moment of regret of selling our house and all our belongings and moving to Caye Caulker, and that includes living through "rainy season", which was an experience!  Well one minor exception to our regrets....we've booked a holiday visit back to CT Brrrrrrrrrr

Across from the KoKo King? I bought something there, little blue house, but it was 145.
  You don't need a boat anymore, now that the koko king is there, plus i have a contractor that runs a "split to split" ferry service on the side.

I'll be there for a week around new years, if you around I'd love to meet!

cwodtke wrote:

Across from the KoKo King? I bought something there, little blue house, but it was 145.
  You don't need a boat anymore, now that the koko king is there, plus i have a contractor that runs a "split to split" ferry service on the side.

I'll be there for a week around new years, if you around I'd love to meet!

Yes, I believe that is the one.  Here is the Remax listing:

http://www.belizerealestatesearch.com/p … -overview/

We just didn't want to have to rely on any boat to get to the village.

We'll be back on the island after Jan 2, if you ares till here, PM us and we can meet for a drink somewhere.

cwodtke wrote:

Hi Keri! So far everyone (I'm talking to off this site) says Linens are a must-bring. Sheets just aren't as nice in Belize, I guess.
I did a little shopping in Belize City, and found many acceptable appliances, though pricier than the states still less than shipping. Choice is limited, so favorite things (like a really good knife, if you are a chef) you should bring.
Maybe you should come down for a little visit and shop? I'm going down new years, and just packing a suitcase. Then I'll be shopping shopping shopping!

Thanks cwodtke for the suggestions. I hate shopping so I didn't focus on checking out home goods on my last trip down. But it's always interesting to hear what locals miss from home. For instance,  we have friends in Cozumel that can't get Qtips so we always bring some when we visit.  :)

Q tips are available in Belize not sure why not in Cozumel.

Can you point me to the information you used to do the cost effectiveness analysis?  In particular I'm trying to determine what it would cost to move my husband's wood shop.   Thanks.