Online chat room option

Hi Guys,

I am using this expat.com, and it's a really good idea to put all the expats together so that they can share their experiences and support other expats, I appreciate the work they are doing.
I just think that it will be good addition if they can add chat online with active members a in chat room e.g Jeddah chat room for sports like that may be.

Thanks and Regards,
Shoaib

Hello Shoaib,

Thank you for the suggestion. It had been pointed out several times before but it is not a current project on which the Team is working on. It would need a different type of moderation probably 24/7 so it's too much of a hassle. Furthermore, we would appreciate keeping information public so that members can benefit.

However, we have reviewed the private messaging system and you have a group private discussion option whereby you can discuss with several members through the private message.

All the best,
Bhavna

G'day Shoaib.
There are many sites and apps that allow for this sort of thing.
On facebook you could easily start a group and I know there used to be a chat plugin but idk if that still exists.
Wireline.com may be another, however it seems to really push online gambling.
Chatabox.net is another. It's extremely small but has no real clique but references international realtions, so you could easily use it.

Ideally though it would be better suited here on this site.

I don't believe such a feature would really need a 24/7 moderation but the simple fact of the matter is sometimes people clash, a lot of people can't behave.
Without the moderation as mentioned it is possible that it would make the site an uncomfortable place to be and peoples rubbish could escalate quite quickly.

As ian_mac has said, there is a plethora of chat room type sites online these days.
I do disagree that such a site would not need 24/7 moderation.  The amount of traffic such as site would attract would definitely need constant moderation.

The moderators/admin team on this forum do a brilliant job now and have more than enough work to keep them busy without overloading them with the mindnumbing job of sorting out a chat room.

I do agree with the last paragraph by ian_mac.

Just because I wasn't clear:
I certainly wasn't underplaying the tasks that the team would have and the time it would consume with the roles they already play in administering this site ;)

How do I download my picture for my profile after I already completed my profile? I tapped on 1 picture and 14 pictures downloaded. I cannot delete them--no option. I left a message for help but have not heard back. Thanks.
sarthur

sarthur wrote:

How do I download my picture for my profile after I already completed my profile? I tapped on 1 picture and 14 pictures downloaded. I cannot delete them--no option. I left a message for help but have not heard back. Thanks.
sarthur

You should have started a new thread, so it would get noticed more. When did you send the message? It is the weekend, so will take some time for the admin to reply.

I think current features of this website are enough. I don't think a chat room would add something valuable to it, it would probably attract scammers more than anything.

They could add though a notification sound to private messages, this would improve messaging experience.

Hello Ahmedsarry
welcome to the group. Did you have a specific ask ?

Best wishes

SimCityAT wrote:

...This is NOT a chat forum...

Lol maybe this supports the original post ;)
But, without debating a chat room as such: Maybe a static link for everyone (especially new comers) to that same location on the forum would prevent this.

okay okay, we all know it wouldn't prevent it but maybe it would prevent the larger majority and also support social interaction.

Taking things to PM only help when you have someone to chat to.  It also doesn't facilitate social interaction from the public.

Bhavna One of the Expat.com Moderators has answered the opening post and given the reason why there is and will not be a Chat room on the site.

You can not see the posts as they have been hidden now because they were off topic, and frankly made no sense. In their cases, they were, in fact, new members who got lost on the site. They have since been pointed in the right direction.

SimCityAT wrote:

They have since been pointed in the right direction.

That's pretty much what I was referring too.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR