Raising kids in Nepal

Hello everyone,

How is raising kids in Nepal different from raising kids in your home country?

What are the activities that your kids seem to enjoy the most in Nepal?

Do you feel that the country is "family-friendly"?

Do you recommend Nepal as a good place to raise kids? Why or why not?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Let me say this right out - that I do not take myself to be an expert on the subject. Others have written on the subject and of all the blogs I read about raising kids in third world countries, this one blogger's remarks caught my attention when she wrote: "It's all a big guessing game". She goes on to say that within 24 hours of her putting a blog out there - on this very topic of Raising Kids in a Foreign Land - she got 200 responses, each with a different reply!
Besides, I really think a lot would depend on the expat's individual circumstances. If one is married to a nepali person who -  say - is living way outside of Kathmandu some place out in the country - that's one thing. Chances are they'll live nepali way and will be more likely to intermingle, with the locals.
If, on the other hand - for example - one works for the US Embassy or is with the Diplomatic Corps and presumably wants to raise his children near or too far anyway from his/her place of work, in or near Maharajgunj area, raising kids for that couple in the city presents a totally different kettle of fish scenario. Presumably, these people will be members of the elite who regularly get together and fraternize in a closed circle at the American Club in the city and the privileged few there. Those parents and their foreigner children will have access to swimming pool, parties, hamburgers and all the accoutrements.  But for less fortunate and a more run-of-the-mill expats, who cannot afford to pay yearly club fees, and/or generally live a much more low profile way, with their children, it is a different ball game, let's be honest. Those kids may never grace a swimming pool during their entire stay in Nepal! Not that many swimming pools in the country!
Yes, I really think each contributor will have his or her own very personal view on the subject.

Hi Pricila,

Well I don't have kids myself but I do take care of children in Nepal. I teach English in a Nepali school and the difference is in Europe they all have High Tech school equipment like I pads, Touchscreens, computer whiteboards etc. While you have in the school where I am teaching in only a white board and a marker. I find that sometimes children from Europe should have a look how the children in Nepal live it wakes them up and start to appreciate what they have.

Taking care of the children in Nepal is my favorite thing to do. I try to raise funds for them through Gofundme.com/Rubensavesnepal. So that these children can have a future.

Ruben Coppoolse.