Returning to Puerto Rico an counting the blessings

January 1st I will be arriving to Puerto Rico after one and one half years on the mainland trying to sell a building with three closings that fell through and after deciding not to sell because the signs said no sale then the Hurricanes hit. I have half the building rented with a 5 year commercial lease. Now I will return to a different Puerto Rico. My house on airbnb is getting Fema workers renting by the week. This is good as all hotels are at 100% occupancy. The Melia hotel took over a closed hotel and invested 500 million for a quick renovation. My home in Ponce has had all utilities for over 3 weeks including internet. The farm will not have electricity until March. I am hoping to be able to build a new future with what is available and hoping tourism will fill the vacuum when first responders leave the Island. In two years the bananas will be producing  and hopefully the mangoes will be producing this year. I will give a review of life on the South Coast on my return this January.

Hope all goes well for you

Rey, I grew up in Detroit so I know what can happen to a major city that collapses and recovers after a period of time. I lived in Peru when coups were common along with the emerging Shinning path terrorism. Look at Peru now. How can I not be optimistic for Puerto Rico?

Mrkpytn

I wish you the very very best. We had postponed our Butts on the Ground Trip till the 1st Quarter of next year. When we come, my Wife and I would love to meet up and if possible see your farm. I use to be a Farmer in NC.

Also glad to see you are ignoring the naysayers. It will take time, but PR will bounce back to be better than ever. Between the FED assistance coming in, local investment, Act 20/22 People Investing and a new coat of paint, within 2-3 years PR will be the shining star in the Caribbean.

We are still planning on moving there and moving our businesses as well. I am also planning to reinvest a good portion of profits on the Island as well.

God Bless You and Family and again, I wish you the very best in your adventure!!

So happy to hear you are returning.  Looking forward to updates when you get there :)

Hi Jos66, I am in the Asheville area of North Carolina now. I would love to show you my farm and where  and what I plan to do with it. About 12 years ago the farm of 32 acres burnt to the ground. It came back much more vibrant than it was with all the carbon that was deposited. The hurricane did its share of damage but I think if the island had burnt to the ground it would have been much worse. I always look for the silver lining in the cloud. This is what my survival skills had taught me. Once I get back in January I will be working on another project. It will be making light fixtures from left over Fema water bottles and beach trash with glow in the dark beads an paint. I may open a small gallery in one of the abandoned buildings in historic Ponce and call it O Maria and bioluminescent lights. Stay tuned

Keep us posted! I'll be back on the island next weekend. 👍

That's awesome.

My personal opinion is that after this crisis that now we're facing , being all over the news with hurricane Maria,  PR will recover faster than ever before.

Hey there, Mr. K; My wife and I would also like to see your farm. When you are ready, make the announcement.

Mac-

We will be down there as well... in Guanica.   The utilities are all back on there and it sounds like most businesses are up and running.  Will miss the coffee and bananas, hopefully there will be pineapples from Lajas.  Hope all goes well for you at the farm!

Mac, I will make an announcement  once  I get there.