Thailand living

I have been in Thailand off&ion 46 years. Most all of that time has been in Pattaya. In the 70s, there was only 1 hotel, Nippa lodge, 1 major restaurant, the Nang Nouen. It was a sleepy fishing village then. Things changed during the Vietnam war. Thr American military opened Utapow air Base for the B-52 bombers. The Jusmag building opened on the beach road for R and R for soldiers. To rest from combat and Utapow. Airmen. This went on until 1985 when the Vietnam war ended. That is when the city became a tourist spot for many country's. I married my wife in Pattaya and we had 5 children born here. They are dual citizens and all grown up now. I spend a lot of time helping at the Police Station when we are here. I help interpet for Tourest who have problems with the law or other problems. I hope I am returning my thanks for all the help received from Thailand.

Somkeet  Burr

I thought the war ended in 1975 with the fall of Saigon.  I first visited Thailand in the summer of 1975 when then Prime Minister Kriangsak had given the US Military their walking papers, so there was a big exodus going on but there were still a fair number of soldiers around in Bangkok.

It did but the Base did not close until 1978. That's when all Americanc left. The time span was in order to move the aircraft to the Carrier Kittyhawk. Thats when the Thai Premier got upset with the Americans and, gave them thier marching orders. I stayed until 1986 when I took my family to the U.S. to put the kids in school. Thanks for the correction. I was at the base when all the planes & Helicopters flew in from V.N. In 1974.

Personally I was never in the military but knew a lot of guys who stayed on after the war instead of returning home.  Pattaya was never on my list of favorite places in Thailand so I have spent very little time there over the years.  Back then I was young and uninterested in a beach where I couldn't surf. ;)

I understand your feelings and miss a few of the friends who have passed. Pattaya is a chalange for me. I hope to make some small difference here.