The best place on earth to make money as an ESL teacher

Hi to all,

I want to ask the following question for those who have experience with travelling and teaching English: Which country gives the best chances to make a good salary as an ESL teacher? And I don't mean relative to the local prices (small salary, even smaller prices) but in saved dollars per month.

I have a Master of Science in Business Economics and Auditing which is a university degree, and I have also taught at university level subjects (math, economics and finance) but I also have the following problems in terms of teaching English: 1) I am not a native speaker of English, but Danish instead, and 2) I do not have a teaching certification.

I can speak English fluently.

Can anyone here tell me what options I have to go straight to a teaching position without having to take further courses such as a TEFL certification etc.? I have seen some sites with listings of apparently interesting countries and they mostly say that TEFL certification is either recommended or a direct demand. But these sites also sell TEFL courses so they lack credibility in my eyes. Thus, I am here to ask you about this.

Does anyone here have any actual experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Playdane

ESL teaching is a typical stop-gap job for lost souls and people who don't know what to do with their lives.
It is relatively well-paid in local terms in some countries, but not in international terms. (The better paid and more long-term secure positions are of course for experienced, native speaking and TEFL-certifies teachers.)
Surely as a business M.Sc. holder you can earn far more in your field of expertise.

beppi wrote:

ESL teaching is a typical stop-gap job for lost souls and people who don't know what to do with their lives.
It is relatively well-paid in local terms in some countries, but not in international terms. (The better paid and more long-term secure positions are of course for experienced, native speaking and TEFL-certifies teachers.)
Surely as a business M.Sc. holder you can earn far more in your field of expertise.

beppi,

Thanks for replying.

Perhaps I am a lost soul and don't know what to do with my life. Or perhaps I want to have some adventure in my life (or both). In any case it's quite hard to use my education in another country since in practice it's very country specific.

I'm looking on my own now but I still want an answer to my question from anyone who can answer. I'm basically looking for the best paid positions for non-native English speakers. Now also if it's only in local terms.

Regards,
Playdane

First of all look for the job you know or you feel that u can do it in a better way,financially it's work ability will make you more comfort
Now I come to the topic ....anywhere you go there are merits and demerits now it's you who has to take out merits from the demerits..all the best and enjoy the life

As a lost soul and person who doesn't know what to do with his life who has been searching for the meaning of life (other than 42) with a towel for the past 10 years, finding an ESL job that pays well for non native English speakers isn't an easy one to come by because more countries have local English speaking teachers as well and expat teachers.

If you have a desire to teach then you would be better off getting more certification and using your native language as well rather than just winging it and seeing how it goes.

Markets and demands are changing and countries are beginning to be less welcome and tolerant of 'backpacker' teachers who see the teaching as something good for them not good for the people they teach.

I appreciate your comments and happy to hear the truth

lukereg and others,

It's funny how my original question hasn't been answered despite several posts here. I am looking for the best countries for my situation regardless of how bad they are. By this I mean specific countries with as many details as possible, not general comments about how hopeless the situation is.

But OK, this is apparently something that I have to research by myself.

Regards,
Playdane

Welcome to the Forum Playdane :)

I am slightly confused by your original question. You have a degree (business M.Sc) ., you wish to teach English, without the correct certificate?

After consulting a teacher in the UK, you could possibly teach in the UK with your said degree, but you would need still need the right qualification to teach, this can be done beforehand, but it is sometimes possible to teach on the job while gaining the right paperwork.

That said if you wish to teach, you will need the right qualification. At the end of the day, we all want to be rich and earn the most money we can. What might sound good money in one country might not sound so good to what you are use too in the standard of living.

The best country for you to teach English in is one where you understand the local language and thus can communicate with your students, especially if they are beginners.
I heard teachers are paid pretty well in Denmark, so that fits your other requirement, too. You just need a certificate (TEFL or similar), like in most places where good quality teachers are wanted.

This is yet another post that states what you don't want to hear, but it (and all the above) is the truth and you dismiss it at your own peril!

Is IELTS an accepted certificate to teach English?

IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a test of your English language abilities, like TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language). It might be a pre-requisite for teaching English, but it dies not show if you know how to teach.
For that, you need a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate or an educational degree.

beppi wrote:

IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a test of your English language abilities, like TOEFL (Teat Of English as a Foreign Language). It might be a pre-requisite for teaching English, but it dies not show if you know how to teach.
For that, you need a TEFL certificate or an educational degree.

Aha.. thank you!
I have some homeschooling experience, does it count?

Count for what?
It is not a certificate or degree, but each and every language school decides for themselves what criteria they apply.

Hi

The UAE is one of the highest paying countries. China pays well and often the teachers are offered free accommodation in China (very Basic accommodation though). It is essential to do a TEFL course, minimum 120 hours. This will assist in you securing a higher paid position. Try The TEFL Acadamy they offer a 168 hour online course which is equivalent to the CELTA qualification.

beppi wrote:

Count for what?
It is not a certificate or degree, but each and every language school decides for themselves what criteria they apply.

I meant count for an experience. But you are right, each school should set up standards for their teaching quality.

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice given above. And for your time (goes for everyone).

I don't want to sound nasty in any way in my posts. I hope I haven't given that impression to all the helpful people. That's not my intention. I'm just very interested in going to other countries and both travelling and earning enough to get by - and this isn't for free as we all know. I know I won't become rich by doing this but I'm just looking for the best options.

So from your advice I take it that a certification like CELTA would be a good idea if it could improve my English teaching skills as well as being recognized in various countries. I'll look more into that.

Again, thanks everyone!  :)

P.S. I'm thinking of teaching in places a bit more exotic than Northern Europe since I've been here all my life!

That already sounds a lot more reasonable than your first post‘s „ Where can I make most money by teaching English?“
What you‘d lack in financial terms, you could make up in adventures and experiences.
However, of the many  foreign teachers I met in various Asian countries (I worked there for 15 years, not as a teacher but as engineer, which pays far more), only very few were happy with their situation - and those few either had a local partner or spouse, or worked their way up to a leading role (headmaster or curriculum developer), which took many (less happy) years.
If you want to see the world and get by financially, temporary jobs in richer countries (e.g. harvest help in Australia) interspersed with self-funded trips to those third world countries where most teachers are, might be a better option - although you won‘t save anything that way either.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR