Interesting customs and traditions in Bahrain

Hello everyone,

Living outside of our home country requires us to adapt to a new culture and different traditions. What are some of the cultural specifics in Bahrain?

What are some of the traditional beliefs and cultural practices that you have encountered in Bahrain that are different to your home country?

Tell us a bit more about some of the customs that you've found interesting, such as communication style, food, greetings, laws, or festivities.

What were your initial reactions and how did you adapt to them?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

A large number of expatriates from different countries call Bahrain home, and will attest to the fact that Bahrain is a more inclusive and tolerant state as compared to their neighbours. It would however be advisable to learn a few etiquettes and behaviours that will make your transition into Bahraini society a smoother one.

Here are some customs and traditions that expats and visitors should be aware of in Bahrain. If you are visiting Bahrain on a holiday, invest in comprehensive travel insurance. After all, isn't it better to have travel insurance and never need it, than the other way round?

Dress code
Most Bahrainis prefer to wear the national dress of a ‘disdasha', a flowing garment for men, and an ‘abaya', intricately detailed with decorations on the back or sleeves, for women. While expatriates aren't expected to follow this particular dress code, modesty while dressing is advised. Women are expected to cover up their legs, elbows and head, when in public. Casual clothing is not frowned upon, but may attract undue attention in public spaces.

Ramadan code of conduct
Ramadan is the holiest month of the year for Muslims, and in Bahrain, like anywhere else in the Arab world, is a period of solemnity. While expats aren't expected to follow, or participate in the religious norms of this period, it is advisable torefrain from eating or drinking in public, between sun rise and sunset. Work times are often be adjusted according to the schedule of Ramadan, and certain companies will provide non-Muslim employees a space where they can eat and/or drink during office hours. Lastly avoid driving with your car stereo on, as loud music and celebrations are strictly forbidden during the holy month.

Social etiquettes
Bahrainis, like most Arab cultures take etiquette very seriously and these rules for social conduct can make a big difference in your successful acceptance into Bahraini society. Here are a few etiquettes that you should keep in mind:
When you accept an invitation to the home of a Bahraini national, always carry with you a non-alcoholic gift for the host. Chocolates or sweets work best, and there are shops where you can buy and wrap your gift.
Bahraini men normally greet each other with a handshake, a hug and a kiss on the cheeks. A warm acknowledgement and ‘salaam' is normally, the right way to greet a Bahraini woman.
When entering a Bahraini home, it is customary to check your footwear at the door, as it is considered impolite otherwise.
Always make polite enquiries about family and well being, before discussing business with a Bahraini counterpart. Small talk is considered a very important part of business negotiations. Keep your enquiries general and refrain from asking probing personal questions, especially about the women of the house, as it is considered to be extremely rude.
Always accept any tea or coffee, your host may offer, as it is considered a slight to traditional Bahraini hospitality, if you don't.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden for Muslims in Bahrain. Certain establishments like social clubs and 5-star hotels however are allowed to serve alcohol to members and guests.
Bahrain is one of the most liberal Emirates in the Persian Gulf, but following these rules will ensure that you adjust well to their customs and traditions,

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I have a few questions. The Abaya...I have bought one and have actually received two as gifts since, yet every time I do wear  them and I like wearing the Abaya, I get asked if I am Muslim. Then am told that I should not wear it if not.  Same goes for covering my hair.

I was so looking forward to the modest clothes and styles here, yet now I've been told not to wear them.  And your word here indicate that it would and could be perfectly ok.

Bahrain is a real mix of cultures, but of course the predominant one is Muslim. There will be women wearing black from head to foot with only their eyes showing, there will be women wearing the black abaya but with their faces showing and their hair covered, and there will be women wearing western clothes.
Although there is no particular dress code followed throughout Bahrain, the general rule is to dress modestly in public. Very tight or transparent clothing are prohibited.

1. If you are out and about in a traditional area, such as a souk, village or central market, please wear a long skirt or trousers. Clothing that covers the knees is acceptable but longer clothing is preferable. Do not wear sleeveless tops, show too much cleavage or your midrif. This is a traditional area and thus more conservative.

2. You can wear what you want in your home but be sure to cover your knees and shoulders when invited to a private home.

3. It is advisable to cover up at the public beach or swimming pool. No bikinis or short revealing swimming outfits. In fact, it is best to be fully clothed at a public beach. However, if you are at a private beach or pool (a resort or hotel), then normal swim wear can be worn. Topless swimming/ tanning is not allowed at all.

4. If you are going to the mall, ensure that knees and shoulders are covered. Generally in Bahrain, the more you look like an expat, the more tolerant people are of your attire. However, you will also be stared at and pointed out if your attire is too risque. Try keeping it modest.

5. If you are going to a 5-star hotel restaurant or to a restaurant in Adliya, the dress code is more relaxed. However, remember that your clothes should be presentable and make-up is a must.

6. Underwear should be covered at all times- no briefs, g-strings, bras, etc on show or viewable through fabric.

@baye , am confused of whom would ask you if your Muslim to wear abaya , and almost want to believe it came from someone whom not Bahraini , Bahrain is a multicultural country, open minded mostly and most importantly we are opened to multinational expats in Bahrain and we always welcome their interest in our culture clothes or food .. abaya in Bahrain is not an Islamic outfit, it's more of a traditional outgoing sort of clothes.. ppl wear it with covers head or without, if your more interested in the Bahraini traditional old clothes such as thob al nashel you would love muharraq old souq

Thank you