Do and don't in Ireland

Are you living in Ireland? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Ireland?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Ireland?

Thanks!

Hi There,

I am from Dublin (Live and work here).
Ireland is definitely a great place to live, although post Celtic Tiger (the name for the economic boom we experienced in recent years) Ireland is now experiencing tougher times during the current global recession.

In essence we are experiencing a correction in our economy, a return to normality!

Recommended website: RTE On-line - News, Business, Culture

Do :)

Like sport , and if you don't then lie

get used to spending alot of social time in pubs

develop a thick skin , Irish people have a well-developed

sense of humour that takes some getting used to

ignore the Irish people wearing T-shirts, it's not warm here

be ready to make lots of new friends with accents you can't understand

get out of Dublin , it's beautiful out there

have some freshly baked soda bread with smoked salmon , yummy !

watch a game of hurling or camogie

Don't :/

take life too seriously

expect to drive around Ireland in two hours , it's not that small

ask people if they've seen a leprechaun recently

talk about the recession – we're pretending it's not happening
ask us about history , it's complicated

call ‘ soccer' football,  we have our own football , thanks

Don't say anything good about Cromwell and you'll do fine.

On a more serious note, I have found many people in my rural area find the idea of cremation abhorrant and can be quite forceful on the matter. That was something that took me by surprise as it seems normal to me.

Get an Ordinance Survey map for driving around the countryside and asume all sign posts are lying to you. The Irish can't make up their minds on how to spell place names.

If you are trying to find somebodies house in the countryside, it is perfectly normal to go and knock on a door and ask inside if they know the person you are looking for.

Mods - As far as a list of Do's and Don'ts goes, they would be very different between Dublin and the more rural areas. Make sure you double check that anything specified here is an Ireland wide custom and not just something mad they get up to in Cork.

hey, it was summer here for a week :):) people went swimming, used suncream and ate ice-cream, it was great......

I meet many American tourists here in Galway. When they meet someone for the first time they always ask, "What do you do?" (wince) I realize that this is an acceptable conversational opener in the States, but most Irish people will be put off by the question.  I could give you an historical / socio-political explanation, but I don't want to bore you.  Trust me, the question is Bad Manners.

Also, no matter if you are travelling in the Republic or Northern Ireland, DO NOT ask or comment on The Troubles, the IRA, the peace process, etc.  The paragraph you read in your travel guide will not be enough to equip you to even dip your toe in this ancient, cold ocean of tears.  It's very raw and complicated.  Don't go there.

DO order a pint of Guinness and while it is settling (2 minutes) listen to the music, look around to see what the natives are doing and go with the flow. If you keep it low key, you are guaranteed to have great conversation and craic and probably make some lifelong friends.

I agree with the poster above about having a thick skin. The Irish sense of humour is quite sharp.  You can't take yourself too seriously.  If you have a quick wit (give as good as you get), they will love you for it.

Oh Taisteal!  Good tips!  I would have said all the typical American things you have listed there.  Phew!

Mindy

Don't romanticize Ireland if you've never been or have visited for two weeks. Don't underestimate how difficult adjusting to the weather can be. Don't believe that "Irish are the friendliest people in the world! clique... maybe 10 years ago! Don't be loud.

I'm Brazilian :) and the first time I met my in-Laws I kissed and hug my BF, what makes him so unconfortable...Now I learned, no kiss and no hugs in front of parents...at least his parents! hahahah

Hi. My name is Martin and I hae question to you. Do you know any brazilian dating web site avaible here in Dublin?? U can answer at [email protected] many thanks for help

Off topic, plz concentrate on the initial subjet. Thank you.

A sense of humor and the ability to laugh at yourself is THE MOST important aspect of Irish culture, and one non-Irish people often miss. This is a big part of the reason Irish people have the reputation for being friendly, because of the emphasis on humor. Example; when talking to someone they don't know well Irish people will generally try and make a joke/laugh within the first 15-30 seconds of the conversation (including formal situations). If this is not the case its a sign that the conversation is not going well so watch out for that!!

Irish People are very quick witted and do really appreciate it when they get back what they give out. A thick skin is both important and admired in ireland, so get one if you coming over!

Taisteal, great ones! Yes, don't mention the Troubles and don't ask people what they do. In fact, I love that your occupation isn't who you are over here.

Initially, when asked if I was Irish or my husband, I'd say 'yes' and now I know that if I wasn't born here, I'm not Irish so I just say 'I have Irish ancestry but am American.' I think as Americans we forget that other countries see being born there, growing up there, and living there for a lifetime as being part of the country - and even then only one generation makes you a blow-in. That doesn't mean they don't like you, it's just your background.

Be open to new experiences, adventures, and listening to stories and you'll make friends.

In Cork City, I've learned a few things Corkonians specifically just don't do…

• Don't feel hesitant about jaywalking – everyone does it.
• Don't go into the Hi-B if you are an unaccompanied female, unless you are trying to get barred.
• Don't use a mobile phone in the Hi-B, unless you are trying to get it thrown out the window.
• Don't try to bring more than four items of clothing in any department store fitting room.
• Don't forget to carry your own reusable grocery bag around since stores charge for plastic bags.
• Don't assume someplace is open on Sundays.
• Don't expect the sun to stay out just because the weather forecast and sky tell you so.
• Don't forget your umbrella or raincoat.
• Don't go to Penney's on a Friday after school in September unless you are eager to battle a crowd of teens.
• Don't say you like Dublin better.

This is a blog post: http://slaintecork.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/cork-donts/

I live in rural Ireland.

Don't:
Mention polictics, religion, work.....or the eurovision song contest!
Expect anything to start on time, it doesn't. When we first moved here we were told time is 'elastic'.
Say you are Irish if your great, great, great, great Grandfather came from here.
Expect fast food to be fast.

All the other do's I have were already mentioned:
Shopping bags, raincoats etc.

If you're not sure what to order in the pub, have a look at what everyone else is drinking.  This is especially true if you are trying to decide what pint of stout to drink(Guinness, Murphy's or Beamish).
Usually whichever beer tap is used the most in a particular pub will taste the best!

It's funny, as an American who has lived in Dublin for nearly 9 years, some of the comments above I totally agree with (particularly when it comes to watching the volume of your voice. American tourists can be LOUD!) However, some of the comments here strike me as funny - especially the wobbly area where Americans like talking about their cultural makeup.

Yes, we're obsessed with being 25% this and 10% that... and yes, it is annoying how many of us claim to be Irish - yet the first question I'm often asked by Irish people is "you must have some Irish background right?" So sometimes it can be tough to take the advice that says not to go there. Sometimes you have to!

I guess, just don't bring it up unless you're asked... and if you are asked, be polite and answer, because Irish people do like having a connection with abroad.

Yes you are right brixtoncat.
What I should have said was don't mention as a first thing that you are Irish if it's some way back relative that is.
Of course if you are asked or it comes up in conversation that's fine.

I also should have said what someone did before. Don't ask about leprechauns. If I had a euro for everytime someone asked me if I have leprechauns in my garden I'd be very rich ;)