Do and don't in Poland

Are you living in Poland? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Poland?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Poland?

Thanks!

Hi all,
I've lived in Poland for 10 years now, and I love it. No more England doom and gloom for me. I will think about a list of 'does and don't' and post it later.
If I can help in any way, please write.
Welcome to Poland. A wonderful country for those prepared to adapt.

Do refer to people  you do not know well as "pan" (sir) until invited to call them by thier first name.

Don't expect people to speak english just becuase they can. You are living here, learn the language to gain respect.

Do bring taxi money if you are invited to dinner or a party, you probably won't be in any shape to drive when they are through with you.

Don't talk about Solidarity and so forth to older Poles. Most of them prefer things the way they where before 1989. They all had jobs, and crime was low.

Do be prepared to prove every single little detail of your CV.
The poles love documents, red tape, ect. and might even ask for your elementry school grade documents as proof you completed kindergarden if mentioned on your CV.

About eating :) If you are invited for a dinner, made at home, be prepared that you have to eat a lot. A lot of people will ask you a couple of times, are you really not hungry anymore :)

From this region which i know, you have to always pull of your shoes, when you are coming into ones apartment.. So to be sure, always ask :) even if they let in with your shoes, they wil appreciate the question.

When you are talking with somebody through a telephone, and you want to end a conversation, it's not enough to say just bye. You have to say something like this: bye, see you later, bye, kisses. ( all in one time ) :) not to your boss of course ;) only to friends

when in doubt, bring flowers

Yes mostly it's true!
But I can add something more, so:
- Don't give money poor peoples who want it. They need this to buy alcohol, even this is some kid. Say "Nie" (No) and that's all.
- Don't leave opened car, or with open wide glass :)
- Don't fraid to ask young peoples something in english - we have english in most bacis schools! But not same skills :)
- Make many smiles on face, and be happy.
- When you meet some, or wanna say "Hi", say "Czesc" :)
- Yes, dinners are big, always ask for somethink to drink, and in start say "Smacznego", and at end say "Dziękuję" (thanks), or "Dziękuje, było wspaniałe" (thanks, was great) :)

NEVER start a topic of Poland not acting an important role in the Second World War - especially if you're English (we fought for Britain and we recieved bills for crushed planes instead of thanks!) I don't know why do people thend to do this. Poles feel very stongly about their history, an are proud of it - keep that in mind.

When you don't wanna eat a lot on a party, say that you are just after dinner - everybody knows that you're not and just fed up :D Still, they will ask you from time to time wether you are absolutely sure.

Poles drink a lot. A LOT. Be aware. Ready you will never be.

When you ask Pole wether he's hungry and he says 'no', ask him three more times. If the aswer is still no, then he isn't hungry. If he changes his mind it means he was just being polite.

Kiszone cucambers (pickles) do not stink. Even if they do, the DO NOT.

If you start the topic of politics it lasts till the ned of the meeting. Remember that. And if you don't want to talk about it anymore you may try agreeing with simples "yes". Usually it works.

EVERYBODY is in rush when walking quickly. Is it so hard to get? :D It my be usnpleasant to stop sush person.

In Poland, you give a tip to a waiter. Usually around 10% of the cost of a dinner. Give an appropriate sum to him and say "Thank you". Don't make anything bigger out of it, like "Oh, it's for you" etc.

Some of the districts, like Praga in Warsaw, are dangerous after around 10pm. DON"T go there. Really. Foreign people are usually the main aim.

Poles steal. Especially on the markets. Poles cheat. Everywhere, all the time, even absentmindely. These are the leftouts of the PRL, but now it's so strongly in their minds that they do it if they feel they need it.

Be prepared for "it all sucks in Poland" attitude. Well, for most Poles, it does. You will probably hear about hard education, money, extra hours at work, money, politics, money, and money.

I'll write more when I'll come across some new ideas.

Well after 14 months here, I can confirm most of what I've read in this thread.  In general Poles in Warsaw are very friendly to foreigners (to me anyway:), but very hard on each other.  This is especially true of Poles who have lived in other countries, and have then returned to Poland - it really seems to have soured their view of their fellow Poles.  I've found the men to be much more open and outgoing then Polish women - and the Polish women, while nice, and very attractive, take themselves very seriously.  So a different mindset is required depending on who you're talking to.  I don't think it's possible to offend a Polish male friend of mine, but I have to work hard not to offend my female friends (or maybe I just need different friends:).

A lot has been said of crime in Warsaw.  And I'm not saying it doesn't happen and you shouldn't use extra care, but I haven't witnessed or been the victim of any theft (yet).  I haven't had any reason to think Poles are dishonest as a people or on an individual basis (no more than any other nationality).

Some other generalities:  Warsaw restaurants - Great.  Warsaw traffic - Bad.  Warsaw parking - non-existent.  Old women - mean, ugly and miserable.  Warsaw gyms - very expensive for a good one (because there are so few good ones).  As stated before, you could probably get by not speaking Polish, because so many Warsovians speak English, but Polish lessons can only make life easier for you.  Besides, it's rude to live in another country and not try to learn the language.  That's a difficult concept for most Americans to accept because so few of us ever even consider living outside the US.

That's about it for now.
(oh and P.S. - Warsaw coffee - bad:)

Do tell people you Irish or Canadian if your asked by a stronger looking drunk male wheteher you are British or American.

Do understand Polish food looks horrid but tastes OK

Very important -- do not speak German :)

It's not good to point, you can use the palm of your hand.

Poles love their history (they have a lot of it and are justifiably proud of it), so a bit of a read-up on Poland is good

Well having read the above thread it all sounds interesting it does sound like some in this thread have not  lived in a large city, London / New York / Paris to name but a few  if one reads the media rife with robbers,bad tempered inhabitants, rude waiters, poor service the list goes on,,,,,, I have found Poland certainly the north west none off these things.

I have Polish friends eat out often at there homes and they at mine, conversation flows and yes I no longer ask about the soviat period even from those who lived through it, we chat about Polish history which I find fascinating, also walks in the great outside which Poland has alot of wonderful forests, mushrooms, BBQ in winter (my english friends think we all must be mad).

All I can say even with my little polish it goes along way and impresses people ( except me), having lived in Spain I find the Polish people are warm open and certainly not robbers as one person wrote.

MY MOTTO IN LIFE

SMILE AND THE WORLD SMILES WITH YOU ... (you know the rest)
OR

USMIECHNIJ SIE, JUTRO WSTAJE NOWY DZIEN   
( use google translate)

:-)

TEFLsecretagent wrote:

Do tell people you Irish or Canadian if your asked by a stronger looking drunk male wheteher you are British or American.

Do understand Polish food looks horrid but tastes OK

point for ya, is tasty thats true, not like here in england,  not tasty and  bad looking !!! lol but I like england anyway :)

Hi,
Just remember like every country in the world, there are customs that people like us (foreigners) should observe. Poles generally are easy going and sociable but they do observe most of their customs. Basically, read about Polish customs, those that involve meeting, greeting etc. And remember to have good manners. I'm now in my 13th year here and I've found it easy to get along.

Good luck,

Britpol

Hi,

I used to stay in Poland for couple of years. Let me know if you have more questions about this country. My city was Torun. I hope you enjoy

Good luck,
Jacek

Hi Jacek! Welcome on Expat-blog! :) Thank you for offering your help to members here.

The title of this discussion is Do and don't in Poland? It would be great if you could share your experience with us. :)

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine