Austria Visa

Hello everyone,

I'm an American trying to get a visa for Austria. My girlfriend is Austrian so I would have a place to live. I have tried to research but I keep getting different results. Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

Advice about what? What exactly is your question? What type of visa are you applying for?

I think some more information would be useful, to get good replies ;)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Oh sorry,

haha I'm new to this. Yup! Just which Visa should I apply for? Also what are the chances of getting it and within what time frame?

Thanks so much!

Hello tanse,

Welcome to Expat.com

The type of visa required will depend on your length of stay. American citizens are allowed to stay in Austria without a visa for a maximum period of 90 days but are not allowed to work.

You may find additional information on this article : Visas for Austria

And also : http://www.austria.org/do-you-need-a-visa/

Chris
Expat.com

Thanks for responding Chris! I'm planning on staying until my girlfriend finishes school which would be a few years. I guess the main reason I am asking for advice is because I'm not sure the which exact visa or permit I should apply for. Do you have any thoughts on that? I have seen the links you provided but I guess I'm torn between a residence visa or something that falls in between Aufenthaltsbewilligung.

Thanks again!

tanse wrote:

Thanks for responding Chris! I'm planning on staying until my girlfriend finishes school which would be a few years. I guess the main reason I am asking for advice is because I'm not sure the which exact visa or permit I should apply for. Do you have any thoughts on that? I have seen the links you provided but I guess I'm torn between a residence visa or something that falls in between Aufenthaltsbewilligung.

Thanks again!

I woukd contact your Embassy in America and they will tell you which one you woukd need.

Austria accepts US passports so you do not require a visa...

Steve Naidamast wrote:

Austria accepts US passports so you do not require a visa...

If you wish to stay longer than 90 days you do.

It's in order to stay for longer than 90 days