English Book Exchange?

Hi all - I didn't have room in my luggage for too many books and I don't like reading on screens. Does anyone have any fiction they'd like to trade? I have two ex-library hardbacks: "The Nest" and "All the Light We Cannot See." Both very well-reviewed, bestseller status, but not genre fiction. Thanks! Jane

I switched to ebooks more than 15 years ago when we lived in Europe and couldn't afford the price of English language books.  I love the touch of a book, but the way I read (at least two books each week), it's an impossible task to carry a hundred or more books with each move especially when we live simply and travel lightly.  With ebooks, I now can have foreign language and English language books in the same Kindle with very little cost.

You're right, of course. But I just enjoy the feel of an old-fashioned book. And in the US, you can buy a used hardback for anywhere from 50 cents (11,000 dong) to $5. The Kindle books are more than that. I will adjust! But I thought I'd send our an exploratory feeler to see if English language books were lurking in Nha Trang.

I understand your sentiment completely. I left behind in daughter's garage 39 U-Haul boxes of our belongings, 5 of them were tightly packed with books that I could never give away even after we had spent months paring down everything we own. 

As far as Kindle goes, I've been receiving free books daily from more than a dozen websites for years, and only paid when a particular book I'd been wanting went on sale.  For instance, I just bought Gerald Durrell's The Corfu Trilogy for $3.99 a few days ago (regular Kindle price was $22.99 and I'm too much of a cheapskate to part with that kind of money, however much I'd wanted Gerald Durrell's work.)  My Kindle library has almost 2700 books at the moment with little monetary investment from me.

I'm not trying to change your mind about ebooks.  If it were feasible to have all the books I want in paper format, I would have never switched to ebooks.  Since travel is our top priority, I had to find a solution so books and travel can both be in my life for as long as I live, and Kindle is the only answer I could find.

Lucky you, you are very well prepared. I'm currently reading one of the last of the few books I brought to read. The Nix, by Nathan Hill. I'm enjoying it although I find myself flashing on earlier authors from JD Salinger to Joseph Heller. I will have to explore Kindle at my leisure and see what's out there.

If you don't own a Kindle, you still can install Kindle reader app on your laptop or tablet to receive free books and read them offline.  There's no need to spend money on a device until you're certain you'll be using it full time.

Thx for the suggestion. I installed Kindle on laptop and phone before I left for Vietnam, and loaded a few token books on it to make me use it. I decided that actually bringing along a designated reader was just one more thing to lose.

I see that you are in Saigon. Are there English language bookstores there, or hotels that stock airplane novels in their lobbies?

Does anyone in Nha Trang know of bookstores that sell English-language fiction?  Thanks!

There are a good number of bookstores that sell English language books in Saigon, even a used bookstore.

I don't know about Nha Trang though. 

Maybe these two online bookstores have something you would like to read: Tiki and Phương NamLazada also sell English books, but the prices are high and the selection is small.

Check Fahasa Bookstore online. You can buy online COD if you want.

I often go to their D1 shop on Nguyen Hue walking street here in HCMC.
Not all Fahasa shops in HCM sell English books.
They have a branch in Nha Trang but you need to check if they have English books in stock.
Address: 2 Lê Hồng Phong, Phước Hải, Tp. Nha Trang, Khánh Hòa 650000
Phone: 583877077

Another lead in HCM is a small private book-café in D3. They keep updating their stock of English books. Get in touch on their FB and see what they have in stock and if they can ship to NT.
BOA Bookstore

NT also has a Phương Nam Bookstore. at 17 Thai Nguyen St. (please double-check the number)
I heard they have an English book section in that store.
- Phuong Nam Bookstore Pls use G-Translate.

my gf has a bookstore on tran quy cap in nha trang , no 93. its tiny from outside. she usually has 2-5 dozen books in english and a few other languages. very cheap.

actually most of them are with me now, and i never read fiction, so i'll bring them back there.

Thank you all for these multiplying leads! I'm doing my best to read on my Kindle app, but I'm old school, and somehow it's not the same. I don't really know my way around NT that well, so these all might end up being one-at-a-time excursions over the next few weeks. You guys made my day.