Do and don't in Ghana

Are you living in Ghana? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Ghana?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Ghana?

Thanks!

We are the publishers of the CULTURE SMART! guides and we would like to provide you with some helpful tips on the dos and don'ts in Ghana. The following cultural tips are taken from Culture Smart! Ghana:

DOS AND DON'TS

Everybody, visitors and Ghanaians, is expected to follow certain rules of etiquette, along with the values and customs already discussed. You can avoid faux pas by adopting the following practices.

• Do not smell food brought to you.
• Do not blow your nose while eating.
• Younger people should offer their seat to elders.
• Remove hats and sunglasses, and do not sit crosslegged, when with elders.
• Do not, at any time, cross your legs so the sole of your shoe is pointing toward someone.
• If accepting a drink of alcohol, pour a little on the ground as a libation for the ancestors before drinking.
• Do not point at anybody with your thumb.
• Don't ask for the toilet immediately upon visiting a house.
• Don't sing in the shower.
• Don't whistle at night.
• Never display any racist views.
• Don't speak disrespectfully of a very proud country and people.
• Swearing at or insulting another person happens, but visitors are advised to bite their tongues.
• Avoid kissing and intimate physical contact with your partner in public.

- Copyright © 2009 Kuperard

I am a South African male considering accepting a professional construction job in ACCRA.I also intend to relocate with my family (wife & twin 20 year sons). I need to know about the South African expats working in Ghana, especially based in ACCRA and social conditions viz. salary taxation levels,public transport,housing, medical care, safety and security, access to tertiary education viz. technology and academic universities.

I am an Indian  male planning to accept Job in ACCRA in a Bottling company .I also intend to relocate with my family (wife & 7 year sons). I need to know about Indians working in Ghana, especially based in ACCRA and social conditions viz. salary taxation levels,public transport,housing, medical care, safety and security, School Education etc .