Hurricane News / Warning :(

Just thinking this might help people in the future.

Why not add to this thread where you can get up to date information on hurricanes and storms.

Add your links below. Please state if it's I  English or Spanish.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.sh … e#contents

AAA free water tanks (Spanish) https://www.wapa.tv/noticias/locales/aa … 13487.html

So people can fill up.

AEE says Hospitals are getting priority and large populations. If you live country side it could take a while

Ferry to Culebra and Vieques to start again tomorrow.

Blood banks are asking for donations. They say they are getting low.

San Juan Port is operational, Cargo ships are arriving.

Several restaurants are providing free food to emergency crews

Parts of Humacao have electricity.

http://hurricane.com  English
You can use google translate for your language

Another is:  Hurricane Watch

You can pick your language

On this same line would be locate your local Ham Radio group. For a modest price you can broadcast (with license), but the last and first means to go down and back up for communication. Federal Authorities also monitor.

Thanks for the info Ray, you're awesome! Just got phone service up today trying to catch up on the news.

Its going to take time, electric service before the storm was held together with spit and chewing gum.

I've been relying more lately on El Vocero, a local daily newspaper, has a great website also http://www.elvocero.com/

and less so on the daily's Primerhora and El Nuevo Dia. Lost a little confidence with them. Primerhora broke the story late Wed that 8 drowned in Toa Baja. I'm hoping that as it now looks only 2 confirmed. El Nuevo later ran with the same story and both did for 48 hours.

And both hung on to the scary damn Dam story far too long, small crack bla blah blah.
Early videos posted here by Dawg and Elcochipo (sorry I know that's not right spelling) showed it had already breached at the top pouring out like crazy. So no clue where they were getting their data when the videos on the net made their updated and updated stories silly.

That video showing overflowing probably showed a blessing, the overflow took off the pressure and functioned as a gate would. Vocero had that right from the get go. Let's hope it did, because it it does rupture all the way down, it's the huge debris that will flow out that will be a liquid bomb and kick ass. As of this a.m., it's just the top level water and slowing--you've seen the video.

All data gets looked at by Spy shops like the CIA for example. Absorb it, analyze the source, weigh it, make an assessment.  I wish they'd done better with "*Curveball" in the late 80's but that's another story you can dig up.

Same with us little guys/data sponges. Absorb, process, evaluate, weigh it, make your assessment. I think Tx has given the board a lot of data to weigh the last few days, stuff on infra structure in PR that you can't quickly get and he's handing it to us. So go thru the process and make your assessment. Maybe he'll be this board's Curveball.

Yonomequito! I go to closing October 6. I'm still coming!

I noticed that flights to Ponce with JetBlue start in October.

Mrkpytn wrote:

I noticed that flights to Ponce with JetBlue start in October.

Wow

Saw an interview with the CEO of the power company, Ricky Ramos. Would not rule out the 6 mos it took after Hurricane Hugo. He said the good news is the Power Plants are not damaged except for 1, the rest are able to generate. The problem as we know is that the transmission system (poles and lines) are destroyed. The damaged power plant is Camalache in Arecibo. Not good news for NW siders. I googled it, Built in '07, diesel.

International flights from SJU are supposed to re-start today or tomorrow.

However, my mother-in-law's flight to Zurich via Madrid (bought before the storm hit), has been cancelled now twice, including tomorrow's flight. Re-scheduled for Sunday night but who knows if it'll happen.

She's in San Juan without power or running water.

Too bad the Governor does not take this great opportunity to dismantle PREPA now. If there is anything good to be had from having a hurricane hit the island, it is a chance to do away with the most corrupt Electrical system is the entire U.S.A.! The people should demand that it be abolished, they would not be is this dire of situation if it was a well run Utility. I should know, I use to manage an Electrical utility an the main land. I would be more than happy to come with a team to help in the restructuring of the system that fits the needs of the people. As long as PREPA is there, I will be amazed that it will get any "other than Military" outside help. Why would any crews want to go help, especially if it is only going to put more money in the pockets of the corrupt. Not to mention, why would the main land send money to PR to fix the system, then the corrupt can have a newer better system to screw over the people "and it wouldn't cost them a dime". Food for thought!

GregnKaren wrote:

Too bad the Governor does not take this great opportunity to dismantle PREPA now. If there is anything good to be had from having a hurricane hit the island, it is a chance to do away with the most corrupt Electrical system is the entire U.S.A.! The people should demand that it be abolished, they would not be is this dire of situation if it was a well run Utility. I should know, I use to manage an Electrical utility an the main land. I would be more than happy to come with a team to help in the restructuring of the system that fits the needs of the people. As long as PREPA is there, I will be amazed that it will get any "other than Military" outside help. Why would any crews want to go help, especially if it is only going to put more money in the pockets of the corrupt. Not to mention, why would the main land send money to PR to fix the system, then the corrupt can have a newer better system to screw over the people "and it wouldn't cost them a dime". Food for thought!

Food for thought:  FEMA funds and federal funds are being used to help Puerto Rico. Army engineers are helping with the utility and getting the electric up and running, private companies are helping things get up and running. LITERALLY ANYONE THAT CAN HELP IS HELPING. FEMA is hiring truck drivers for the delivery of supplies that's what is taking so long too. Not enough drivers. He can't just dismantle PREPA with its massive debt by the strike of a pen. Who's gonna buy a broken system? When it's fixed maybe. But not now. Now priority is getting power to the island. If you can really help find a way to contact the governor or whoever is in charge to help the people of Puerto Rico.

NomadLawyer wrote:

International flights from SJU are supposed to re-start today or tomorrow.

However, my mother-in-law's flight to Zurich via Madrid (bought before the storm hit), has been cancelled now twice, including tomorrow's flight. Re-scheduled for Sunday night but who knows if it'll happen.

She's in San Juan without power or running water.

Slowly more flights are being added. I do know Wednesday they were supposed to start international flights. Military set up temp equipment to help with the flights coming to the island.

Justpeachyy wrote:

Food for thought:  FEMA funds and federal funds are being used to help Puerto Rico. Army engineers are helping with the utility and getting the electric up and running, private companies are helping things get up and running. LITERALLY ANYONE THAT CAN HELP IS HELPING. FEMA is hiring truck drivers for the delivery of supplies that's what is taking so long too. Not enough drivers. He can't just dismantle PREPA with its massive debt by the strike of a pen. Who's gonna buy a broken system? When it's fixed maybe. But not now. Now priority is getting power to the island. If you can really help find a way to contact the governor or whoever is in charge to help the people of Puerto Rico.

Please do not get me wrong, I am glad that there is help in restoring electricity to the island. There will be NO need to sell the Electrical system, it can be restructured into a Public Power state, with individual districts and or municipalities with local control. Then the people would have better control over the individual utilities in their area, which would eliminate corruption. If PREPA continues as it is, even after repairs are complete, the system will still be miss managed and miss constructed. Sorry to say, it will be waiting for another storm to knock it out again. I have visited almost 3/4 of the island and Culebra, I always wondered how most of the system stays on. It appears to me that the Fat Cats at the top are keeping the money and not investing it in the system. If it were a true Public Power system, this cannot happen, the revenue would be reinvested in the system. I could go on and on about distributed generation, investor owned generated input, green energy, etc... However this is not the forum to discuss the complete workings of an Electrical Utility, just wanting PR to start getting headed in the correct direction of sustainable growth and prosperity. Otherwise, well you know, good luck.

Can we get back to the topic, instead of putting posts that should go to the governor? He does not read our forum.

Mother-in-law's flight bumped again. Last scheduled to take off today, Sept. 28. Now bumped until Thursday, Oct. 5. So that's four delays in total. Understandable, of course, with the state of SJU and the island's radars.

She has rheumatoid arthritis. Still no running water or electric in her neighborhood in SJ. Needs medication that requires refrigeration, so we are eager to get her out.

I mention my mother-in-law's flight because it is a direct flight to Spain (for those interested in the status of international flights). I doubt it'll actually fly next Thursday but fingers crossed.

---

Father-in-law is staying to help. Retired cop who has a concealed carry permit. He and his brother (another CCP holder) go armed 24/7. Father-in-law said the lines for gas were about a kilometer long but that the streets in SJ have been cleared of obstacles.

Just received a call from my friend / caretaker that our house in Hatillo only suffered minor damage from the storm.   He has returned to living there since the storm passed.  No broken windows or doors, just minor flooding due to wind driven rain in places.  No power, fuel, cell phone or water, but roads drivable around the area. 

This is very remarkable considering the location of the house on the water.  I had expected much worse!  Looks like he'll need a power washer soon.

If utilities are restored, we may return in Nov.   :top:

NBC is reporting that the Trump admin has suspended the Jones Act. Was reported via tweet so no link yet.

only 10 days though! that's not going to help much!!!

Permanent elimination of Jones act if it ever happens will allow PR to get boats from other countries to bring goods directly to PR at lower cost. US vasels charge more and having the double trip of the goods also adds more costs and slow delivery which means less freshness. PR could also create its own merchan navy if it had the investors. But all of that may never happen.

I understand the Jones Act also applies to Hawaii and Alaska.  It must be repealed!!

The ass kicker about the statute and the rationale its supporters use as talking points for keeping it in place for PR (and so for Alaska and Hawaii) is that the USVI and two other Territories are exempt from the Act,  Yes sir, so all their baloney of why it's vitally needed stops right there.

And the shipping costs to the USVI from stateside are 50% lower. B-o-o-o-i-I-i-n-n-n-g!

But big powers on both sides of the aisle want it that way evidently, and have wanted it that way for a long time. There have always been wiffs in the Capitol's air for repeal, Sen. McCain a long time repealer for example. But the Jonesies have prevailed over the decades through many different Administrations.
Go figure

But: two weeks ago I'd say not gonna change, now I'd say maybe a glimmer.

Very recent NY Times discussion:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opin … s-act.html

Tropical Storm Nate to escalate to a Level 1 hurricane 75 MPH winds landfall 50 miles east-west or dead on New Orleans 0001 hs Sat.  Let's see how the Army Engineers did re-designing levy system for below sea level people who refused to move post Katrina.

Pretty sure those guys did a good job, usually do. If not a lot more pain and a lot less urgent help going to PR>

Not sure why they keep building in heavy flood areas then rebuild again and again. The policy cost should reflect the actual risk based on the area/street within a community, otherwise others in less risky areas are covering a lot of the cost and the same people will rebuild again and again in risky areas and hurt others every year.

I recently saw an article (can't remember where) that profiled a guy who has been flooded out and rebuilt with NFIP money seven times in one location, I think in Texas along a river!   

Some areas subject to frequent flooding should be zoned to prohibit development.  They have some type of program designed to get folks out of these flood prone areas, but success seems limited.

Every state has what your lawyer will tell you is the power to condemn and take with payment. Is called Eminent Domain. Owners have the right to a trial by jury to determine what the true value is and not have to accept what the government is offering. Happens all the time, eg the state wants to extend Hwy 69 to the east thru a bunch of private property.

Maybe political considerations for the local government not to move in on these flood plain owners--backlash from a large block of voters who threatened retaliation? I think that's what I read happened in those levy Wards in NO after Katrina.

Not sure if the Feds have Eminent Domain powers, I would think so, the Constitution speaks directly about property.  Maybe Professor W or Nomad Lawyer can chime in

Yes, the 5th Amendment provides that property can be "taken" but only with "just compensation". 

A "taking" need not mean the transfer of title to a property.  If government action reduces the economic use or value of a property, then a "taking" has occurred, and compensation must be paid.

Not also that the power of eminent domain is only for "public use".  Traditionally this has meant such things as roads, but the courts have recently interpreted "public use" rather broadly.

Oh, and only my students call me "professor".  There's no need for that formality here.

The program (can't recall the name) was intended to buy out certain home owners in flood prone areas.   It was more voluntary,  or an incentivized buy out.  Not a forced taking for the public good.   Payback to the govt was that it was no longer subject to repeating flood loss claims.

After the owner was removed, the land was put into some type of public trust and was not subject to development but rather a green space.   Perhaps a good idea in theory, but as I recall, not especially successful in pratice.    :cool: