Registering a birth in Romania

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Romania? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Romania?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Romania? What was the experience like?

Fairly easy I'd say

Priscilla wrote:

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

Either parent may do it at the city hall (primaria)

Priscilla wrote:

What documents are usually required in Romania?

The hospital certificate from where the birth took place, the ID card from Romanian parent and/or passport if foreign parent, the marriage certificate

Priscilla wrote:

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Births must be registered within 30 days, we received our childrens birth certificates in 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

Priscilla wrote:

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Yes I registered the births at the American embassy in Bucharest, years after the birth when I needed to take my kids to the USA.  They received dual nationality from the date of birth by law.

Priscilla wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Romanian parents: easy (hospitial confirmation of birth, both ID cards in copy, one parents who registers the child takes also both original ID cards), Marriage certificate.

Romanian + EU foreigner: same as above

Romanian + non-EU foreigner whereas the foreign parent has a passport not issued in a latin language (arabic, japanese, chinese etc) -> translation and legalisation of such ID document, same counts for a foreign marriage certificate (if issued in a latin language which includes also a direct translation in French, English for instance, no translation is needed)

There is also a procedure for non married partners, but perhaps other members have more info on that.

Hi Priscilla,

The birth registering process in Romania is pretty simple.

At the time of the Child's birth you will receive the birth details from the hospital. You take this document, the marriage certificate of the parent/s, identification of the parents and your legal status in Romania - original and copy to the local Primaria, where they register the birth.

There is a small fee and you get your documents in a week.

However, the process id done in Romanian language, so having a person who is good in Romanian language would make your life easy. NOTE - Use a friend, who is a good in Romanian to save unnecessary costs on Translators, Lawyers etc.et.etc...

Cheers and happy parenting
Rajesh

We had a slight different experience compared to the info above.
Our son was unexpectedly born two months early in romania. I was sick do my boyfriend had to do everything. The biggest problem in our case was that we are not married. This made it almost impossible for us to register him. Also, we wanted to go to the Netherlands as soon as possible and to get a paissez laissez was also a crime, for the same reason: we're not married and both not Romanian. So, if you are married and one of you is Romanian i guess it's easy. Otherwise not. For example, we needed our own birth certificates (which were in holland) and get them officially translated to Romanian. And get some stamps here and there. We don't speak the language so it was kinda hard.