General living information in Puerto Rico

Hello there

My name is Fred I am 65 years old in good health U.S.A. citizen currently living in Philippines for past 3 years.

I would like to consider moving to Puerto Rico, first of all can I stay in that country as a permanent resident as an American citizen ??

I was wondering if I can live there with $1000.00 a month, I don't mean neither living in high luxury end nor living in ghetto or slum areas of the country, I mean some average living in some average neighborhood ??

I would appreciate it if someone can help with this.

Thanks ...........Fred

RUBICON 4 EVER wrote:

Hello there

My name is Fred I am 65 years old in good health U.S.A. citizen currently living in Philippines for past 3 years.

I would like to consider moving to Puerto Rico, first of all can I stay in that country as a permanent resident as an American citizen ??

I was wondering if I can live there with $1000.00 a month, I don't mean neither living in high luxury end nor living in ghetto or slum areas of the country, I mean some average living in some average neighborhood ??

I would appreciate it if someone can help with this.

Thanks ...........Fred

Hi Fred, welcome to the forum.

As an American you can live I Puerto Rico as long as you want and even own property. You can also start a business if you care to. You will need the following: your birth certificate, your social security card, your US passport is optional if you are traveling from the US, but will need it if you travel from the Philippines.

It would be possible to live on 1,000 but I would not recommended. In the country side you can find places to live for around 350 plus water and electricity. You would need to be very careful not to waste electricity since int is very expensive, around .22 cents per KWH. I would say you may need at least 1,700. It depends on your standards of living.

You will need a car, and will need to get a PR driver license, Car is a requirement, we don't have much in the area of public transportation.

I assume you are getting Social Security checks already, these will not be affected by living in Puerto Rico, they can be mailed directly to you or to a local bank with zero problem.

You probably would qualify for MySalud which is similar to Medicaid in the US but also your Medicare and may also qualify for PAN (the food stamp program).

If you are still interested, I would suggest you search the site, there is a lot of information and many questions have been answered.

Anything you can not find, be free to ask.
Rey

$1k per month buys you ghetto living in PR

Hello Rey

I really appreciate your very KIND, RESPECTFUL and informative reply to my recent posting, that shows you are a real GENTLEMAN and concern, you took your time and went through all the DETAILS for me, I know you are there to help people in anyway you can, I wish there where few more of you in this world to make it a real nice and peaceful place to live in.

I keep all your recommendations in mind and I am sure I will come across more questions in regard to do this move.

God Bless your heart and I sincerely wish you all the best in that beautiful part of the world.
I certainly be in touch again.

Thanks a lot.
Fred, from Philippines.

Thanks, Fred, I try to make it as easy as I can for new comers.
Let me know if you need anything.
Rey