Where can I buy pasture fed pork and lamb and grass fed beef in HCMC?

Hi Guys,

I just moved here and am trying to find grass fed beff and pasture fed pork and lamb.
Can you recommend a good butcher?
And do you happen to know any good online grocery stored?

Thanks
Lydia

hahayeahallourproductsrgreatnotascam.com

Lydia123 wrote:

...trying to find grass fed beff and pasture fed pork and lamb.

I hope you understand that pigs are omnivores, with a digestive system remarkably like our own.  That means that they cannot be "pasture fed" as faced with a diet of only grass and succulents, they will waste away.  There are pasture raised pigs but they must be fed more nutrient dense foodstuffs to remain in good health.  I think most commercial hog feeds in VN make full use of grain milling byproducts instead of straight grains, which is also environmentally sound.  In fact raising pigs on pasture is a rather inefficient use of land.  Moving the pigs inside and keeping grass fed cattle on the same land would be better in terms of both productivity and the environment.  Pigs are notoriously hard on pasture and compact soils.  Note that inside does not have to mean 100% concrete but can be some combination of dirt and concrete as well.

As far as beef, I suspect that you would be hard pressed to avoid pasture fed while in Vietnam.   Some people in the Vietnamese countryside may keep their cows confined but they bring grass cuttings to them.  As far as imported beef, most of it comes from either AU or NZ and is most likely grass fed as well.  I prefer grass fed for taste rather than environmental reasons.  If you are not sure, look for a slight yellow tinge to the fat caused by the b-carotene in the grasses.   You might also look for restaurants that specialize in Bò Kho Củ Chi.  You will know from the pictures that such places usually show outside.  It is not veal but young grass fed beef and a specialty of the district.

As far as lamb, my guess is that it is 100% from NZ and only available in the big supermarkets.  I would have no idea how it is fed but from what I know of NZ agriculture, it is probably grass fed as well.  If the lamb is grass fed, unless it is very hot the fat will tend to stick to the roof of your mouth which is why grass fed lamb is not popular in the US.

Mega Mart - used to be called Metro - in An Phu district 2 has both grain fed and grass fed chilled beef. They have US and Australian beef.