Which shoes is better?

Anybody give an advice!! I dont know much about shoes brand and found that have Vans and Converse brand in Vietnam, with the same cost which shoes is more durable? I plan to pay $50 $60 for shoes.

hwanghuydo wrote:

Anybody give an advice!! I dont know much about shoes brand and found that have Vans and Converse brand in Vietnam, with the same cost which shoes is more durable? I plan to pay $50 $60 for shoes.

They are nice trendy brand name shoes.Just don't get them wet,the glue will separate the soles.Don't get them dirty,the cleaning mark will be worse than the stain.

hwanghuydo wrote:

Those are likely fakes.  People falsely believe that if something is priced high, then the item must be of high quality.  Actually just always assume stuff is fake, since it's impossible to know their origins and you'll have your peace of mind.

So pay no more than 25 bucks (500,000 VND) for a pair of shoes and expect them to last you a month.  If you can't find a pair, just go up and down any street...plenty of footwear sellers on the sidewalks.  You can probably bargain down to 250,000 VND a pair of shoes that you can go have the Vans or Converse logo stitched on.

Converse.

Converse are popular with punk rock kids. Vans are popular with skater and surfer kids. Are you punk rock or are you a skater/surfer? If you are a punk rocker that loves to skate and surf, I see the dilemma.

Personally, I was a punk rocker and liked my converse. They had an anarchy sign on them and everything. I thought I was so cool then. :cool:

2 years ago I bought a pair from Ben Thanh area which inscribes "Clarks England" on the insole. I am not so sure whether it is original or a replica but still am using it without problems. I bought it then for 250.000 VND :D (of course bargained price)

Most of the brand names sold in Vietnam are Grade Bs or factory-rejects.  Shopping there is like buying at a western outlet or swap-meet, one must be diligent.  That is why they have very similar customer service policies, No Return and No Refund.

I brought my shoes with me to Vietnam along with my under garments. At least I know for a fact that what I have is  authentic and not a knock-off. Besides wearing ill made shoes can really jack up your feet. Especially if you have to be on your feet all day. :P  My dad who wears a size 13 in men's shoes couldn't find any men sandals for walking around. He complained the whole time about how his elderly toes were killing him. :/

MIA2013 wrote:

... My dad who wears a size 13 in men's shoes couldn't find any men sandals for walking around. He complained the whole time about how his elderly toes were killing him. :/

Size 13 USA would be a Size 47 European.  The largest I've seen at most sandal shops is a size 43 (9 - 9-1/2 USA).  Probably because Vietnamese have small stature and the shops would rarely sell to big customers who need size 13s (so they don't stock them).

Speaking of footwear, my wife's family swears that sandals produced in Cambodia outlast sandals produced in Vietnam. We've made two trips down to Ha Tien to buy sandals, and they really load up on them for everyone in their households. I found two pair that fit me on the first trip (size 11) and they are still in use after five years.

I believe Wild 1 hit it on the head. A lot of products in the U.S. are made overseas, some in company owned factories, and some by local subcontractors. The rejects from both often end up in the local markets at local prices. One pair of Oasics I looked at in Vietnam looked genuine, but the insert was glued to the sole and not removable. I've never seen an Oasic running shoe without a removable insole.

Lirelou,

I used to loose a lot of sleeps over the contractors stealing our designs and materials to produce knock-offs, for the local market.  It was not fun running into a Vietnamese with a pair of jeans similar to the ones that I was about to introduce into the American market...

Lan,

Your oldman wears size 13 and you are still like that?  You must have been a brave little girl...

Wild 1, look at the bright side: You weren't producing BMWs. read something on a China blog a few years ago about the Chinese partner to a BMW project, I believe to produce SUVs, who had set up a factory to produce BMW knock-offs which used the same technologies but with a different logo.

ps, my mother worked for Wrangler in the Mayaguez Free Zone in Puerto Rico, and a neighbor managed the Blue Bell factory.

Wild_1 wrote:

Lan,

Your oldman wears size 13 and you are still like that?  You must have been a brave little girl...

Huh? My father wears a size 13 US, he's 6'4. Sorry, I didn't get the brave little girl part. :lol: Wanna elaborate? :lol:

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
MIA2013 wrote:

... My dad who wears a size 13 in men's shoes couldn't find any men sandals for walking around. He complained the whole time about how his elderly toes were killing him. :/

Size 13 USA would be a Size 47 European.  The largest I've seen at most sandal shops is a size 43 (9 - 9-1/2 USA).  Probably because Vietnamese have small stature and the shops would rarely sell to big customers who need size 13s (so they don't stock them).

While in Saigon, Quang Ngai and Hoi An I have had sandals made. I also wear a 13D. Rubber sole full leather has cost me from 200000 dong in Quang Ngai to 800000 in Hoi An. Quang Ngai and Saigon was someone working on the street, Hoi An in a shop where I suspect they contracted out to someone on the street. In Hoi An they offerd the synthetic material, but just like Walmart, they will smell bad after getting wet. Always go for the leather.

^^ Thank you but i know they are not Fake shoes, coz i visited their homepage and find the their dealer in vietnam and so luck, HAnoi have both dealer of Converse and Vans. I only want to buy the classic shoes. $50 - $60 for a pair of shoes is the high paid in vietnam :D. And of course i need to know their durability. Which is more durabe , converse or Vans? I like Vans shoes style but i pay attention on durability ^^

In Vietnam, you could see many big brand clothes or shoes are sold on street but almost them are made in China with fake style. Vietnamese call them Fake 1, Fake 2 or Fake 3 thing. Fake 1 is the best of Fake clothes or shoes, look seem with Brand but not the same quality and the cost often half of brand cost. And lower quality is fake 2 and fake 3. That's why you own a brand clothes and shoes with low cost :D.
And some clothes and shoes are not imported in Vietnam from own country, they are Vietnamese's export clothes or shoes so the quality could not the same.

milkybunnyHCM
I am a skater. Any one own both of these shoes :D

I owned both back in my teen days, my converse lasted much longer and I just liked them more. Vans seem to fall apart sooner. But this was some time ago, things could have changed since then.

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

I owned both back in my teen days, my converse lasted much longer and I just liked them more. Vans seem to fall apart sooner. But this was some time ago, things could have changed since then.

Ohh... that's mean Converse is more durable. Some peopel talk Converse Vietnam is not. Thank you.

i like superga :D

MIA2013 wrote:
Wild_1 wrote:

Lan,

Your old man wears size 13 and you are still like that?  You must have been a brave little girl...

Huh? My father wears a size 13 US, he's 6'4. Sorry, I didn't get the brave little girl part. :lol: Wanna elaborate? :lol:

Hi MIA2013, :)
you're a regular 'spitfire' to some of Howie postings/answers aren't you ? :lol::lol::lol:
That's meant as a complement by the way ! ;) Get a good laugh sometimes reading both your's and Howie's postings/replies. :D

Similar to your father I take a largish (size 47) shoe and motorbike boots(SIDI Vortex). :cool:
After trying out every recommended shop and market we could find in Sai Gon we gave up. Even the shoes we did find that fitted lengthwise where far too narrow, cramping my feet horribly. :(  Wearing sandals 90% of the time in VN hasn't helped much either.
The one time I managed to persuade my 'BETTER HALF' to take a short holiday/honeymoon to Phuket then spend a couple of days shopping in Bankok (clothing, etc) for herself and some gifts for her family, we ended up at a weekend market.
We (she) found a pair of 'REEBOK' knock-offs for me. After bartering for 1/4hr they cost US$11. :D
They fitted perfectly and even after dozens of repeated drownings in VN, they don't smell and haven't fallen apart. Still looking almost new. :)
They've out lasted a custom made pair of quite expensive 'BROOKS' brand cross trainer brought in Australia a month before I moved to VN.  Those 'BROOKS' started coming apart in less than 3 months ! :(

Take care, :D

Ian W. (aka Flip465)

1 thing I love about Vietnam is never having to wear socks and shoes. Sandals all the time except for formal occasions.

khanh44 wrote:

1 thing I love about Vietnam is never having to wear socks and shoes. Sandals all the time except for formal occasions.

Wearing flip flops will make your feet dry and crusty. :P

MIA2013 wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Wearing flip flops will make your feet dry and crusty. :P

;) Not when you shower and change your clothes about three times a day and wear the usual cotton socks with your sandals. :cool:
Sai Gon - remember ? Just a little bit 'warm' and somewhat humid ! :lol::lol::lol:

I have purchased hundreds of pairs of sandals in Vietnam (I'm a physiotherapist and teaching disabled people to walk again is MUCH easier if they're wearing substantial footwear). BITIs are made in Vietnam and cost about 200.000VND a pair and can take an lot of abuse. I wear them myself and have never had any problems with them.

vietnam view wrote:

I have purchased hundreds of pairs of sandals in Vietnam (I'm a physiotherapist and teaching disabled people to walk again is MUCH easier if they're wearing substantial footwear). BITIs are made in Vietnam and cost about 200.000VND a pair and can take an lot of abuse. I wear them myself and have never had any problems with them.

Oh Thank you! but i am finding a casual pair shoes ^^. For sport i will buy NIKE.

Converse wear better, you will know if they are a knock off, they will not be comfortable; converse is a comfortable shoe.

Here is great place for buying shoe in Hanoi and Saigon
blog.evivatour.com/vietnam-shoe-shopping-in-vietnam-hanoi-hoi-an-and-saigon/

thanhhai179 wrote:

Here is great place for buying shoe in Hanoi and Saigon
blog.evivatour.com/vietnam-shoe-shopping-in-vietnam-hanoi-hoi-an-and-saigon/

Check the date of the post before replying.

For everyday use (going to the cinema) I'd go for the more comfortable shoes. Try Van's, try converse, if Van's is more comfy go back and buy that.

However, I hear Van's are better for Skateboarding because they "provide good traction and “stiction” from the heavier gum rubber waffle soles; they last much longer in street use."

I've not owned either, so can't give any personal experience on their use/durability.

Well, several sneakers got soaked by the torrential rain for weeks a few weeks ago (in THANH HOA province). Now they are a) reeking, stinking, smelling as if a dead water rat was decomposing inside. And b) the soles are becoming unglued.

TBH, I have found the durability comparatively bad, with ASICS a good exception (but those were running shoes).

But here in Vietnam, you will find places where they glue the soles back on.

OT: can't buy 10% Formaldehyde recommended by my father. How do you / would you disinfect smelly shoes?

I went back to Australia for a short holiday , bought 2 pairs of business shoes and several clothing items.  Whe we returned to Vietnam i found the shoes and clothing all made in Vietnam , that was 2.5 years ago , all the gear i bought are still in good nick.

I heard that most branded shoes made in VN, But I have visited some shoe store which located in a shopping mall in Saigon. But unfortunately, they also selling fake one, I have checked the barcode number, but I couldn't find any product information with that barcode number, So I recommend to everyone if you are buying something as a branded then you should scan the barcode at first to check its real or fake.

KruChris wrote:

Well, several sneakers got soaked by the torrential rain for weeks a few weeks ago (in THANH HOA province). Now they are a) reeking, stinking, smelling as if a dead water rat was decomposing inside. And b) the soles are becoming unglued.

TBH, I have found the durability comparatively bad, with ASICS a good exception (but those were running shoes).

But here in Vietnam, you will find places where they glue the soles back on.

OT: can't buy 10% Formaldehyde recommended by my father. How do you / would you disinfect smelly shoes?

Buy a few bottles of Oxy Gia (hydrogen peroxide H2O2) from a pharmacy and soak the shoes with it. The stuff is a good disinfectant and it will kill the smell too. The cost of Oxy Gia is very low.