Tourism ad for Puerto Rico

Warning! Some language that may be considered not appropriate by some and also maybe the video is not suitable for Act 20/22 expats.

But for the rest of us enjoy the satire. (although there's  a lot of truth in it...)

"The US Government just released this tourism ad for Puerto Rico and it's surprisingly honest and informative." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-GYqakwHdg

Yes I saw it in FB and I found it funny. But true. However there is much more more that is not in the video and due to rules of the site I am unable to speak about.

Lot a truth. Funny but sad at the same time.

I saw it also on Facebook.... interesting.

Very similar to what went on and is still going on in Hawaii. See video. https://youtu.be/MfAiB2ZoRhM

Puerto Rico natives may end up in the same boat as the Hawaiian natives, being forced off their lands.

you do realize it's not the US government that released this ad?
it's pretty spot on however.

funny as hell.

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

you do realize it's not the US government that released this ad?

Yes, of course. Actually it's a group from Melboune, Australia. They make a lot of hilarious stuff. https://thejuicemedia.com/about/

Oh my goodness, I posted this same video and the one on Hawaii on Facebook! This video has gone viral on many Latino sites as it is a HUGE concern that Puerto Rico may be the next Hawaii. You should watch the Hawaii video they did (if you haven't already). It is so sad to see how native Hawaiians have been treated and lost so much. I hope and pray that this doesn't happen to Puerto Rico.

A big reason we want to move to Puerto Rico is to help contribute to make a difference on our native island as well as immerse our children in their culture. When we watch Caribbean Life or Waterfront House Hunting there was only ONE episode we've seen of a Puerto Rican family moving to PR. My husband won't even watch the shows anymore because he says it's discouraging to hear of so many Puerto Ricans leaving the island for work then see a lot of non-Puerto Ricans "gringo/as" moving in.

I understand (from a Gringo's ability to "understand") and agree with you.  My partner and I completely respect the culture that we are entering and hope that as much as we want to enjoy the opportunity on Vieques to "use" tourism to our benefit, we also want to integrate as much as possible, and hopefully employ people that we meet there on the island.  We get the feeling that Vieques is very different, in that not so many people are leaving Vieques as the mainland.  However, we still want to only help and strengthen the community and hope that just by our being there doesn't ruin that possibility.

how does one simply delete a post?   asking for a friend...

dblahusch wrote:

how does one simply delete a post?   asking for a friend...

Which one, this one?
You can not delete it yourself, not even I can.
Only the moderators can.
You can "report" the posting and ask to be deleted.

dblahusch wrote:

I understand (from a Gringo's ability to "understand") and agree with you.  My partner and I completely respect the culture that we are entering and hope that as much as we want to enjoy the opportunity on Vieques to "use" tourism to our benefit, we also want to integrate as much as possible, and hopefully employ people that we meet there on the island.  We get the feeling that Vieques is very different, in that not so many people are leaving Vieques as the mainland.  However, we still want to only help and strengthen the community and hope that just by our being there doesn't ruin that possibility.

I think that is wonderful that you and your partner want to integrate as much as possible. That I feel is a great mentality to have when moving abroad. To become a part of the community instead of isolating yourself from the native people by socializing mostly or only with "your own" is a great way to integrate.

In terms of what happened in Hawaii, I believe too many people went there that chose not to integrate. Which caused a huge divide especially when they started imposing their views turned laws that sparked a negative domino effect on the native Polynesian Hawaiians who are now the minority in their native land. This is what is feared of happening with the native Puerto Ricans. There are already certain towns in PR with pockets of gringo/as that expats take preference to specifically to be among "their own". 

Honestly, I never even knew this was a concern until this year. I've been going to PR my whole life and only knew of expats in the Ocean Park, Condado and Dorado area. When I joined this site I assumed I'd find many Puerto Ricans like myself on here. I found out real quick that wasn't the case. Wishing you and your partner much success in Vieques especially with integrating and making a positive impact on the island.

Expat: "a person who lives in a foreign country"
When I joined expat.com I expected to find a place of helpful advice and sense of community. I notice more and more of these threads degrading into snide comments.  If someone wants to take their hard earned money and retire in Palmas and never set foot outside the gates whoooooo cares. Are they hurting anyone? Are they perhaps providing jobs and tax money and adding to the economy? Because someone feels they are not "integrating" they accuse them of hurting Puerto Rico? Who is anyone to judge them?  We're going to lay the burden of Puerto Rico potentially turning into a possible version of Hawaii in the future  on them????
As someone who actually lives here and is getting ready to ride out the coming storm with friends and neighbors ...of all backgrounds....and is going to be here to help pick up the pieces...I don't feel I want to be a part of whatever this is now.
I'll miss your posts ReyP and you have been most helpful and wish you the best.

I agree that some people go into some communities and never get out. Yes it is their business,

but the point is that they miss all the rest of what the island has to offer. Neither they or their friends get to learn the language, learn the dances, the culture, the food and all the beautiful nature that surround them.

As a proud Puerto Rican, I want to show my island, but people are people.

Dawndoro wrote:

Expat: "a person who lives in a foreign country"
When I joined expat.com I expected to find a place of helpful advice and sense of community. I notice more and more of these threads degrading into snide comments.  If someone wants to take their hard earned money and retire in Palmas and never set foot outside the gates whoooooo cares. Are they hurting anyone? Are they perhaps providing jobs and tax money and adding to the economy? Because someone feels they are not "integrating" they accuse them of hurting Puerto Rico? Who is anyone to judge them?  We're going to lay the burden of Puerto Rico potentially turning into a possible version of Hawaii in the future  on them????
As someone who actually lives here and is getting ready to ride out the coming storm with friends and neighbors ...of all backgrounds....and is going to be here to help pick up the pieces...I don't feel I want to be a part of whatever this is now.
I'll miss your posts ReyP and you have been most helpful and wish you the best.

I respectfully agree to disagree. If you know Hawaii's history (and Puerto Rico's estranged history with the states) it may better help you understand the cause for concern. I am also a proud Puerto Rican who has grown up spending my summers there. Now a parent, I cherish my family trips where we expose our children to their roots. Native Puerto Ricans want people (from the states and elsewhere) who have moved to Puerto Rico to embrace and celebrate the culture not separate themselves from or disregard it (i.e. what's happened in Hawaii). Hope this clarifies that there is no ill intent in my posts. Wishing you and your loved ones safety as you ride out Hurricane Irma.

@ReyP so that's their loss but how does that give anyone the right to accuse them as being bad for Puerto Rico? That's my point. Are you telling me that there are NO locals who enjoy mainly staying home with their families and neighbors? I know for a fact that's not true.

This is EXPAT.com, not dis on the gringo.com I'm sure there are forums for that but it's not what I thought this was a space for. That's my other point.

Concern and accusations are 2 different things. Go back and read your posts. I hope complaining and finger pointing  on expat brings about the changes you desire.

Dawndoro wrote:

@ReyP so that's their loss but how does that give anyone the right to accuse them as being bad for Puerto Rico? That's my point. Are you telling me that there are NO locals who enjoy mainly staying home with their families and neighbors? I know for a fact that's not true.

This is EXPAT.com, not dis on the gringo.com I'm sure there are forums for that but it's not what I thought this was a space for. That's my other point.

Concern and accusations are 2 different things. Go back and read your posts. I hope complaining and finger pointing  on expat brings about the changes you desire.

No disrespect but you are clearly missing the point. Accusations, complaining and finger pointing are not conducive to the concerns of the bigger picture. Gringo/as who integrate with native people are a wonderful thing! That goes for not just PR but anywhere expats choose to live that is culturally different. They become a part of the community which enriches the experience of living somewhere that is culturally different from your own.

It should not be an issue to anyone for us Puerto Ricans to want to see preservation of our beautiful culture and hope to see people moving in respect and embrace it. Also, know that locals are already within their native culture so there is no integration involved whether they choose to be a homebody or not is neither here or there.

Dawndoro wrote:

Your post is picking at my post and that of others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I spend a lot of time here helping people understand how to make the transition. If i had any will agains expats moving to PR i would simply not provide any help.

Yes there is a difference of being friendly and being careful with the preservation of the integrity of the island. I have no problems with helping gringos come to the island and doing well, but i also dont want the native population to be completely replaced by expats. Everything in life within balance.

I am not expat.com, my opinion is mine and have nothing to do with expat.com. The fact that I have volunteered to help does not and should not reflect on the site. Many of our members here assist each other the same as i do.

By the same token just because I assits here does not mean i have given up on my right to free speech. If anyone does not want to read my post, you are not forced to, and if i know you dislike my opinion I will happily not address you in any way, but others will continue to be helped to the best of my ability.

I am human like you, i am not always going to be error free.