Ex pat community in Beijing

Hi there, my partner has just been offered a job (2 year contract) in China, most likely to be in Beijing. I have been told there is a great ex pat community there and if so can anyone give me more information. Apart from the obvious, what did you find the most difficult in leaving the UK (obviously missing family and friends) and relocating to a new country. Unfortunately I do not speak any other languages apart from English, but I am willing to learn. Many thanks!

I would say that if you can have in BJ the things that you liked the most back home AND do the things that you most want to enjoy in BJ then you have got it made.But it will take some time to settle,no doubt.

Manlin is the Oracle on here,and I am sure he will post very soon with his opinions.I'm not in BJ yet,so the above are just what I want to achieve.

Thanks Dave. We are hoping to come out for a visit in April for a week, but at this moment in time we are not sure where we will be based. I know it will take time to adjust, especially as I am leaving our two daughters back in the UK (they are grown up and don't want to move!) I know there are alot of UK shops (i.e. Marks and Spencer, Tesco, etc...or so I have been told) as well as McDonalds, KFC etc but its not those that I think I will miss. I am a very socialable person and don't want to be stuck indoors on my own! I am hoping the ex pat community will be a big part of our lives whilst we are out there.

Where are you staying? I have stayed in the Beijing Vienna Hotel twice now and it was perfect for me...great staff and not too expensive.Its in the Haidian area if you want to look.

Lots to see on your own though :)

I have no idea where we will be staying just yet, all I know is that my partner and I need to decide of we want to proceed with the move and if so, the company will fly us out for a week. I am not sure if they will sort out accomodation etc, that is something we will find out later this week hopefully. I will keep in mind the hotel you mentioned though, many thanks :)

In the end a lot of it will depend on what part of the city you'll be in (and I see in your earlier posts that you don't know that yet). There is a pretty strong expat community here. There are a variety of book clubs and luncheons that meet around the city. There are several larger international churches in the city that tend to be a good place to meet other expats. It can be a challenge to get connected when you're not sure where to start looking for that community. The Beijinger magazine is a good place to start once you arrive here.

Heather hi,  Beijing has a very warm and active Expat community assuming you make the effort to get out and do things / try things. You can do here almost anything you can do back home plus some extra things. The ease of access to these things depends a tad on where you will be living in Beijing.

Your first question is are you city person or more of a suburbian type?

Downtown, closer to the action, closer to "the real Beijing" (whatever that means)and, I assume, closer to hubby's work.  The suburbs are more like living in isolated gated communities with an extended commute time to the city centre. So if you are looking for peace and quiet the 'burbs are for you. Obviously there are also activities that happen in the 'burbs but more happen in town.

Most foreigners do not drive in Beijing. Most foreigners living in the suburbs (Shunyi / Chaoyang Villa District) have a car w/driver, without wheels suburban living can be tough.

Yes, there is a Tesco and Mark&Sparks but not the same as in the UK.  I would be very surprised if (apart from a curiosity visit) you actually used them.

Give a hint of the sort of things that tickle your fancy and I will try to think of relevant options.

Hi Malin, thanks for your reply.

I am definitely a city person, although I wouldn't mind being in a quieter area as long as I was part of a community, but if it meant feeling isolated, that wouldn't be me. I am a sociable and outgoing type and enjoy good company and know this is something I would need to bear in mind when choosing where to live.

I don't think I will be attempting to drive whilst in China, I have read many reports on the terrible traffic jams that are a regular occurance!

I enjoy shopping, theatre, good food, good coffee and conversation! I enjoy sightseeing and visiting new places...I know there will be plenty for me to see whilst in China!

I am aware that social networks such as facebook are not available (yes, I have facebook and currently use it a lot to keep in contact with family/friends etc), however I am happy to e-mail etc...what are internet speeds etc like in Beijing?

Any info would be gratefully received. Kind regards, Heather

Sorry, just noticed my mistake Manlin....too busy trying to type quickly and forgot to proof read!!

Not a prob, if there is such a thing as computer dyslexic then it's me! I am terrible with typos.

Theatre - sorry to disappoint you but no equivalent to the West End here. There are of course acrobatic and kungfu type of shows, an occasional off Broadway troupe bring over a musical. Additionally,  an active English language community style theatre (Beijing Playhouse) put on shows a few times of year at a decent level.

One of the amazing things about living in Beijing is that outside your front door you have a very vibrant city. However, the moment you enter your own compound you enter an oasis of tranquility (well in most instances not all).

Shopping .. you will be able to shop till you drop. varying from cheap local clothes at places like the wholesale market near the zoo, to brand name look a likes at places like the Silk Market, up to genuine articles at prices higher than in the UK.

Food - obviously mostly Chinese but almost every cuisine available from MacDonalds to Cordon Bleu. From East to West and North to South though some places can be pricey.

Good coffee is more of a problem. The chains are here (Starbucks and Costa)and it is possible to buy imported coffee in the supermarkets that cater to expats but no brilliant cafe that has both good coffee and good cakes.  Please somebody prove me wrong.

Esquires in the place is okay.

Do not want to get too personal but I see you used the word "partner" please check carefully your visa status/options.

I had an instance a couple of year ago with a German family who had been living together for years, has a common child but because they were not married there were visa problems and they did not agree to give the girlfriend/wife a dependant's visa. Luckily work was fond for her and she too came in legally as a foreign employee.