Amazon Buys Whole Foods: Will Robots & Drones Fill Your Orders?

Amazon has just announced it is buying Whole Foods in a deal worth $13.4 billion.

The New York Times immediately posted a story saying that Amazon's move hastens the day when the following scenario of the future will become reality....

"You walk into a store and are greeted by name, by a computer with facial recognition that directs you to items you need.  You peruse a small area ... because the store stocks only sample items.  You wave your phone in front of anything you want, then walk out.

"In the back, robots retrieve your items from a a warehouse and they are delivered to your home via driverless car or drone."

Would you like to shop this way?

-- cccmedia

Yes!

Why step into a store. Order on line including fresh fruit/vegetables and have it shipped to your door or use the outside store pick up option.

twostep wrote:

Why step into a store?  Order online including fresh fruit/vegetables and have it shipped to your door....

Veggies aside, some folks prefer to see a sample or know what choice of brands is available.

cccmedia

I'm glad I bought Amazon a few years back at $65 a pop.

@jamesed
My gosh what year did you buy Amazon? You have made a bundle.

jamesed wrote:

I'm glad I bought Amazon a few years back at $65 a pop.

I rather suspect the gentleman is just dreaming that he is a millionaire stock investor. Before he post such stuff he should check the prices at the time he claims to have bought the shares. It is easy to second guess the market in hindsight and make a killing. But those are not real profits.

I was lucky and got in on the IPO myself when they were giving the shares away. I has for 1/2 million shares and got them. I wish I had asked for more now. I must admit I am pulling your leg folks about the give away, just as he is about buying them for $65

twostep wrote:

Why step into a store. Order on line including fresh fruit/vegetables and have it shipped to your door or use the outside store pick up option.

"Why step into a store?" That's the bit I can identify with. After all, the most time-consuming part of shopping is travelling to and fro - so it makes sense to eliminate that chore before anything else. So I see "virtual" online shopping in our future, even for vegetables and fruit. If the warehouse sends me crap veges and fruit, I will just buy those things from a different supplier.

How could they deliver in no drone zones?

PlatesFull wrote:

How could they deliver in no drone zones?

Bicycles, scooters, taxis, uber...

Find activities and meet other expats

OR