Checking in of Baggage and Security

Dear all,

How has your experience been with checking in luggage on budget airlines around the SEA region? I've been to every country in SEA at least once and never had any issues with losing luggge or anything, but I reckon I'm just lucky.

I'd like to ask, i booked 45 kilos worth of baggage allowance for my move to Sai Gon. Is thre a limit to the number of bags I check check in? It looks like i'll need to bring 3-4 bags.

edit - to add on, has anyone encountered any security issues such as ground staff attempting/ succeeding to steal stuff from your check in luggages?

Good day to all!!!

Cheers,
Ken

You should check with your airline on the number of check bag. The info should be there in the email with your ticket confirmation and on the airline website.

yes i did try, but as many know, it is near impossible to get to speak to any one on the phone on budget airlines like tiger air and air asia. website does not provide any info either. only says max weight of each bag can' exceed 32 kilos

TigerAir Australia doesn't allow free check-in baggage. Info from their website: https://tigerair.com.au/prepare-to-fly/ … in-baggage

"Effective 15 December 2016, Tigerair will be implementing a tiered pricing structure for check-in baggage. Prices will vary depending on when you purchase baggage and will be as follows:

Baggage will be least expensive when purchased at the time of booking.

Baggage will be more expensive when purchased through Manage My Booking, our Customer Contact Centre or Web Check-in. Baggage can be added up until 2 hours before departure for domestic flights.

Baggage will be most expensive when purchased at the Airport.

Neither light fares nor express fares include checked baggage.

At the time of making your booking you will have the choice to add check-in baggage for each customer on the booking. Check-in baggage can be selected per customer per flight with different weight allowances available.

Prices may vary if checked-in baggage is added through the Internet Booking Engine, Customer Contact Centre, Web Check-in or the Manage My Booking option on our website.

The applicable price for baggage will be the price presented to you when making your selection or (in the case of baggage purchased at the airport only) the price published on our website on your day of travel.

Customers who do not select check-in baggage during the booking process but wish to add check-in baggage to their booking prior to travel, can do so via Manage My Booking, our Customer Contact Centre or during Web Check-in, however it is more expensive. Prices will be presented to you when adding baggage to your booking.

Customers can purchase 15 kg or 20kg of check-in baggage at the airport during check in if they have no previous check in baggage allowance pre-purchased. Customers will be charged the airport rates specified on our Fees and Charges page. Anything in excess of 20kg will be subject to excess baggage charges per kilogram.

Any additional baggage allowance purchased at the airport will be carried subject to space availability.

Please note the weight of your baggage will be checked at the airport. Check-in baggage must not exceed 30kgs per bag, if required please split the weight amongst multiple bags. We advise you to pack within the allowances you have purchased to avoid additional fees."

Info on TigerAir Singapore is practically the same: https://www.tigerair.com/sg/en/baggage.php

"Passengers are offered the choice to save if they choose to travel with hand luggage only. Passengers who need to check baggage in have the option of selecting a Luggage Upsize option to suit their needs at the time of making their reservation. A corresponding fee will be charged per passenger per one way flight.

Passengers who have not pre-booked Luggage Upsize online at the time of booking have the option of doing so by calling the call centre up to 4 hours prior to departure. Passengers who do not exercise this option up to 4 hours prior to departure can still do so at the airport on the day of departure but will be limited to purchase only the 15kg baggage tier. Additional weight in excess of 15kg will be subjected to the prevailing excess baggage charges."

AirAsia only allows free checked bag for business class.

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/baggage-in … ggage.pagehttp://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do? … ed+Pricing

So i just turned up at changi airport with my fingers crossed. They allowed me to split my 40kg of baggage up to four or five bags. I only had to use 3.