AUSTRALIAN OLD AGE PENSION

Is there anyone who is receiving there Australian old age pension in Vn?
We would like to live permanently in Vn but can't get a clear statement from Social Security as to whether or how to do this...
Can anybody in this situation help...

Why can't the DSS give you an answer ? I'm not sure about Việt Nam! But a 69 year old friend just moved from Oz to Guernsey and he gets it
Can't see why Việt Nam! would be any different
Go plonk your self in a Centrelink office and don't leave until they tell you , or alternatively ring them and spend a few days waiting for them to answer

Hi Michael.
I receive a aged Australian pension and I live in HCM Vietnam, I am married to a Vietnamese girl.   If you are married to a Vietnamese girl, you will automatically lose about $200 per fortnight from your pension, because, they say, she is able to work.
And provided you are a Aust citizen or permanent resident, you can stay in Vietnam As long as you like and receive the Aust pension.
Doug....

Hi Doug, my wife is Vn but has lived in Australia since she was 4yrs old and is an Australian citizen.
Social Security will not give us a definitive answer...
I am an Australian citizen having emigrated from UK in 1980...
So I thought that the best answer would be from an expat living in Vn...
Mike...

What exactly did Centrelink say ? I would have thought it is either yes or no !!

Hi Mike.   I also came to Australia from the UK in the 60's.
I made a appointment with a finance person at the CentreLink office in Sydney (now, Human Services)
The 'finance Person' knows 100% what the deal is for a pensioner living overseas.   You can live almost anywhere you like and still get your Australian pension directed into your account, recommend one of the bigger banks with a Visa card debt account.          I know I've been doing it for some time now.
Just make sure you have the relevant visa for Vietnam, for you and your lady.
Only if you are MARRIED to a Vietnam citizen, can you get a 5 year visa for Vietnam, (from January this year) otherwise its 3 months at a time visa.
If you are gonna stay in Vietnam for some time, might be a good idea for your lady to obtain a Vietnam passport if she has relatives here, don't know if Vietnams allows someone to hold dual passports.
Cheers.   😎 Doug HCM

Mariner42 wrote:

You can live almost anywhere you like and still get your Australian pension directed into your account, recommend one of the bigger banks with a Visa card debt account.          I know I've been doing it for some time now.

I think what you are trying to say is make your direct deposits to an AU bank that has branches in VN.  I do this with CITI from the US.  We have two accounts and can transfer funds free over the internet.  HSBC comes to mind as an option for Australians.  You don't want to use just any bank as you will be suffering high ATM fees otherwise.

Mariner42 wrote:

If you are gonna stay in Vietnam for some time, might be a good idea for your lady to obtain a Vietnam passport if she has relatives here, don't know if Vietnams allows someone to hold dual passports.

michaellieptourists wrote:

Hi Doug, my wife is Vn but has lived in Australia since she was 4yrs old and is an Australian citizen.

Vietnam has allowed dual citizenship since 2008.  In fact Michael your wife may find that she is still technically a Vietnamese citizen because although dual citizenship is now allowed, Vietnam does not recognized overseas relinquishment.  If she can get her birth certificate and a few other documents, she can surely get a VN passport.  I think this is covered on other threads as well on some VN government websites.  Once she gets a VN passport, you can apply for a 3 year Temporary Residence Card.   The TRC for spouses is a new thing this year and maybe they are still working out the bugs but it should be possible.  If you are planning to live in Ðá Liếp, you might want to get that done in HCMC.

Didn't know about that temporary residence card, dont know that one,  but my wife has recently applied for me, a 5 year 'certificate of visas exemption' which I have received.
So I am ok until 2020, even then I can just renew it.
Don't worry about getting your pension in Vietnam Mike, you won't have any trouble.
Good luck.  Doug

Hi Mike are you still elligable for Brit pens, dss may have an issue due to your 1980 arrival_ not enough tax syphoned off

Mariner42 wrote:

Hi Michael.
I receive a aged Australian pension and I live in HCM Vietnam, I am married to a Vietnamese girl.   If you are married to a Vietnamese girl, you will automatically lose about $200 per fortnight from your pension, because, they say, she is able to work.
And provided you are a Aust citizen or permanent resident, you can stay in Vietnam As long as you like and receive the Aust pension.
Doug....

Did you report the marriage to Social Security, or do they do their own investigations?

I believed you need to travel back to Aust at least every year and/or have an Australian Permanent address to get the Pension. Could be wrong?

Google  "Australian old age pension eligibility"

@michaellieptourists

just arrived back from Australia after visiting centrelink and being told that i am not eligible and woud need to come back and live there for 2 years to be able to claim, they were not interested in discussing any further. after paying my personal and business taxes for over 50 years having never recieved any benefits during my working life, i really feel that our government is discrimminating and should be ashamed of themselves for treating us, as Australian citizens this way. i am not even sure wether this is legal?
Ahh, the attitudes of those working in the public service in Australia. If the info you need is online, they don't want to be bothered by someone taking up their time for a coffee or cigarette.

Have a look online at

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/pa … australia, and you may find an answer to your challenge.

Another option is to have your pension paid into a bank account in Australia and then transfer it to a bank in Vietnam.

Bank to bank transfer has horrific fees. I use [link under review] and have done so for years and they have been excellent.
Ahh, the attitudes of those working in the public service in Australia. If the info you need is online, they don't want to be bothered by someone taking up their time for a coffee or cigarette.

Have a look online at

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/pa … australia, and you may find an answer to your challenge.

Another option is to have your pension paid into a bank account in Australia and then transfer it to a bank in Vietnam.

Bank to bank transfer has horrific fees. I use [link under review] and have done so for years and they have been excellent.
- @Safepeter

Check out XE currency exchange; they are excellent IMHO.
@Safepeter

Can you explain a little more about XE .I have an account from Wells Fargo and I want to transfer funds to vn bank .
@martinbaker67
AUSTRALIAN PENSION
It's legal ,,has been that way for years.
You can apply & get the pension,,but when you leave it stops....when you get back to Australia it starts again.

The time away does count to the 2 year wait in most cases....but it's a case by case basis.

One option is to live in transit , few months away..few months at home.  At least while in Australia the Pension can go towards your living  costs.

Centrelink should have explained the details...it's all on their website , under pension portability.   good luck

I have been living in vietnam for the past 5 years in which time i have been getting treatment for Lymphoma cancer and CKD  I returned to australia several weeks ago and applied for age pension to continue me treatment in Vietnam  i just received a letter saying my application has been rejected because i am not living in australia. I am now in Vietnam with no money and no hope.  Thats Australian government for you 

I have been living in vietnam for the past 5 years in which time i have been getting treatment for Lymphoma cancer and CKD  I returned to australia several weeks ago and applied for age pension to continue me treatment in Vietnam  i just received a letter saying my application has been rejected because i am not living in australia. I am now in Vietnam with no money and no hope.  Thats Australian government for you 

-@kevinphudson

That's some of the saddest news I've heard in a long time, but your first-person account is greatly appreciated.

I often encounter Aussies checking out Vietnam with questions about this program.

@kevinphudson8

Refer to Portability rules .

If you've been living overseas & return to Australia to receive the Age Pension there is generally a 2 year waiting period before it becomes portable to be received overseas.

However, if your living in a country that has a social security agreement with Australia...there's 37 of them , but VN isn't one of them ,,you can apply & receive straight away. 

I've met lots of early retirees living in Asia on savings waiting for the Pension to kick in,,,but are not aware of how the system works & are now doing the maths on their finances. 

Good luck