Naturalisation and citizenship in Panama

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Panama? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Panama? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Panamanian citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

I don't see any advantages to becoming a citizen of Panama. Since we are here as retirees I don't think we are eligible anyway. But from the little I know, I believe you have to be a resident here for 5 years and pass some tests (in Spanish). Rumor is you can retain your US citizenship without a problem but from what i have read, if you voluntarily take citizenship in another country you are giving up your US citizenship. I wouldn't dream of risking that since I have family in the US and want to be able to visit. Oh, and if you think you can come here to escape the IRS in the US, they will continue to haunt you for I think 10 years.

A Bob Adams video on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQOGAlEvxc

as an attorney, I can assure you that to renounce to the nationality of origin is a key requirement to become a naturalized citizen. However Im aware that there a are many Panamanians with dual citizenship, some of them US/Panama, they were born Panamanian and then they asked for US citizenship while living/working abroad, as far as I know to renounce to the nationality of origin is not a requirement that the US government is currently enforcing in such cases.

brgds