Living on the coast

I am seriously considering moving to Ecuador from the West Coast of Canada.  I would want to live near the ocean but not isolated
Any suggestions?
thanks  Al

Try visiting first atleast three cities either in the coast or the sierra first then see how you adapt. Manta would be a suggestion

Hi alturner29,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Hope you receive lot of suggestions..

All the best,
Christine

There are many nice fun areas  on the coast,
It really depends on each  person.
Manta is good but very bussy, Bahia is very clean and quiet exept when  Ecuadorias have Holidays  many of them from the inland own homes in Bahia so the city becomes very active!
Sallina is in a similar way.
They are so  Many small places on the coast that one can pick from.
I think it is best for you to travel a few weeks and get a feel of what is important for you, such as beach , clean air crowds, action.
We have a place 45 min south of Manta take a look  at it. might be for you and maybe not.
Good luck in your surch
(moderated: no free ads please)
Cheers
Frank

Hi Al:

Definitely plan to come visit Ecuador and the coast.  Since there is a such a diversity of beaches, beach towns and cities, and possibilities, and since know one can really tell you what fits your own ideal location, time spent visiting the entire coast is time well spent.

You may also consider joining the coastal_ecuador yahoo!group as well as the Expat Exchange: Ecuador Forum for additional insights and first hand experiences from feloow expats.  Also look for some of the blogs about areas of interest:  Nancy Levins Salinas Blog and Leigh Frost's: Olon Again Naturally should also help.

by the way... hope you like fish and seafood!

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

Please visit at different times as Susan suggested.
The area up and down the coast varies. Review maps and research the climate along the coast. There are areas that are tropical and areas that are dry. Most all have mosquitoes or some type of humidity throughout its seasons.
If you are expecting beaches like the US, with its infrastructure you will be disappointed. Some towns have main paved roads then it goes to dirt. The buildings seem poor because they are gray concrete. Alot of areas along the coast have no fresh water, or if they do they run out and water has to be trucked into them.
When you read that these beaches are hidden you will find that they are very basic. The larger towns are nice, and will have some good infrastructure. But if you are looking for that quiet hideaway, it will be very basic.

Again. please visit. We love Ecuador, with all it's variances.

do any expats meet on a regular basis in Cuenca ?

Yes, there are 3 different places that hold a "Gringo" type meeting. Two are on friday nites and the other is on a Tuesday.
The two on Fridays are at 5, at Zoes and Cafe Eucalyptus. this is a bar type scence and some food is available.

The Tuesday nite get together is at De Baccio. It is a restaurant, it will have specials for food and drinks.

klkimbler wrote:

Please visit at different times as Susan suggested.
The area up and down the coast varies. Review maps and research the climate along the coast. There are areas that are tropical and areas that are dry. Most all have mosquitoes or some type of humidity throughout its seasons.
If you are expecting beaches like the US, with its infrastructure you will be disappointed. Some towns have main paved roads then it goes to dirt. The buildings seem poor because they are gray concrete. Alot of areas along the coast have no fresh water, or if they do they run out and water has to be trucked into them.
When you read that these beaches are hidden you will find that they are very basic. The larger towns are nice, and will have some good infrastructure. But if you are looking for that quiet hideaway, it will be very basic.

Again. please visit. We love Ecuador, with all it's variances.

I have had people that live in Manta say that they do not have a problem with Mosquitos, accept on rare occasions.  Do you have different information?  Also, I am told it is rare for it to get in the upper 90's in the summer.

Does anyone here live in the Manta area that can shed light on this?

Hi!

With regards to Expat Meetings...

Are there meetings in the Guayaquil area...particularly the Punta Carnero area?

There are a lot of choices. If you want a bigger feel then probably Salinas and the rest of the Santa Elena peninsula is a good option. Salinas has a Miami Beach sort of feel to me with high rise condos right off the beach. It also has a modern mall and Guayaquil, a city of over 2 million is about 40 minutes drive away.

Some other options include Puerto Lopez and Manta. These are larger cities. Puerto Lopez is a big tourist city with its beaches and whale watching, but they are smaller and more removed from big-city resources.

Your thoughts about the "lifestyle" you may want to live will have a bearing on where you look. If you want/need the same basic structure you do where you currently live then you can have it, for less money per month typically. The bigger cities are just that...bigger cities with all the issues all bigger cities have..this is everywhere, however once you get out of the bigger cities the country opens up and there are some gorgeous areas. Not many are looking at the coastal area north of Bahia yet, but it is catching on. It is a laid back sort of lifestyle that I find attractive and not run over with tourists or other expats (not that there is anything wrong with expats..I am one). I like secluded beaches and small towns, making friends and getting the feel for the culture, even though I am building a home in a gated community here. Some things are more out of desire than necessity. I feel comfortable and rejuvenated here, some will find the cooler climates to be to their liking, but I am a beach type. I think some of the suggestions about coming and living here for a while before making a decision are good ones as Ecuador is not for everyone. Personally I stay away from cities and opt for the simpler yet comfortable life.

Hope that helped and all the best.

Larry

Just got back from Salinas.  We are moving there in June. This was a fact finding mission. We lived in Puerto Rico and St. Croix.  I like Ecuador such kind people, and less stress.  Salinas along the beach by the Marina, we walked every where, felt safe, lots of Candians and Americans there.  Some gringo hang outs.  Ecuador or any Latin American countries may not be the place for everyone.  People have to remember they are not in Canada or the States. The old saying when in Rome you do what the Romans do...One has to remember we are not there to change their country.  In my words we should respect their country and their way of life after all we are a guest in their country. Cost of living is good, more bang for the buck.  You can save money because there really isn't much to spend your money on.  However, traveling in Ecuador is a beautiful country you have it all from ocean to mountains.  Rich in history and beauty but it is also a very poor country once you get outside bigger cities.  People do not complain on what they dont' have they appreciate what they do have.  What a breath of fresh air. I can hardly wait to get back.  Working on our visa now and that isn't hard to obtain.  If you have any questions please contact me at [email protected]

Well said and something many expats forget regarding their host country.  Successful transition to either fulltime or part-time living depends so much on how a person is "wired" at the DNA level (easy going, sense of adventure, patient, friendly and accepting of other cultures) and perhaps minimizing situations of frustration (carrying on a business, hiring employees, dealing regularly with the government).

Hello ur blog was great,,,I'm hoping to go for my 1st visit before summer begins here in Tennessee...I love the idea of living on the beach,,,had made plans years ago to move to margarita island off the coast of Venezuela, was cheap n even I could make people figure out what I wanted,,,I don't speak Spanish, but Chavez screwed up everything,,,only thing cheap now is gasoline n propane...anyway could u enlighten me as to the cost in salinas n what was the weather like,,,I read so much about the cost of this n that n if ur blue eyed like me the price doubles,,,did u c any of this? I would appreciate anything u could actually enlighten me in,,,thanks alturner29

Sincerely
Jon Michael

by the way alturner29  i tried to email you but it came back as email address was correct [email protected]
mine is [email protected]

Hello Jon Michael -> Do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Ecuador forum with your questions on Cost of living.

Thank you,
Aurélie

[Moderated]

Dont forget about the Northern Coast. Much cheaper and really not explored to much.  Here is some info if interested in that part of the country. http://www.atruetalltale.wordpress.com

I agree. Here in Crucita now but going to Canoa today and flying back to Quito tonight via AeroGal. Manage to find a Apartment for my parents in the city of Manta for 600 on the Playa, $6 week Landry delivery service and 3 mo medical insurance for $114 cover 80% doctors visits. They are in their 70's so I feel secure. Weather has been hot here but June will be perfect. Also found a lady to cook shrimp 1x week for $3.50.

Now that is Grrreat you have your parents here with you so you can make sure they are taken care of...that is the only think that is holding me back from leaving the old USA to a better place where old values of family & friends are still considered something not to be taken lightly and the ever loving $ is 2nd...Greed is what is destroying America...I sold my small home in east Tennessee to move in with my parents and help take care of them many years ago...took care of my father till he died...at home with family around...my mom is in a nursing facility now because he lost the use of her legs...and is living in the past...I hope to come down this spring early summer for a week to investigate for myself...one problem is I dont speak spanish...I have been to Venezuela several times and did survive...Thank you for the update, i hope your parents and you have a wonderful experience...

Jon Michael

you can rent a house in Punta Blanca that is 22 minutes away from Salinas

It is cleaner and less crowded

TNVOL I can hook you up with a translator and driver if you need. Don't worry my friend. Lets get you to paradise .

definitely Manta city... Pedernales and Canoa  2 good places for living

so u finally made the move from Canada to Ecuador? How hard is it to get from the new airport to Quito arriving at like 9 or 10 at night?

how is it in Montanita ?

This has been a great thread for information.
Thanks Everyone
Hans

The new Quito airport is nice and open. Clear customs and they have a line for seniors now so over 55 or handicap you zip through. Johnny Rockets burgers and TGIF too. Most flights are night arriving so A cab to downtown Quito is $25 to $30 one way. I know 2 good hostels close to airport so let me know. For those who want a full tour of the coast I can arrange that.

Larry@vista,
Where are you building in Ecuador, we are  thinking of doing that very soon, somewhere around Crucita, San Clemente, or Bahia.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]