Taking your car out of Panama

Some friends of mine just returned from Paso Canoas.They have a car with Panama tags.They were told they could not leave the country with thier car unless they had thier residency.
I have taken my car across the border in Paso Canoas many times in the past and never had this problem.Is this something new or did they misunderstand something?
If you have taken your car recently to Costa Rica I would like to hear what happened to you.
Thanks

I have taken my car across borders from Panama to Costa Rica to Nicaragua and back without too many problems over the years.  I have residency though.  I was told residency is needed.  It was a 3 day process to get the proper paperwork. One time I still had to get the newest paperwork once at the Paso Canoas frontera that was needed when I reached the border.  So new in fact, there wasn't enough time for Panama City to synch with it's agencies in David & Paso Canoas.  Of course it was a Saturday at 4 p.m. when I arrived, and I had to go to David to get the paperwork done except the agency wasn't open again until the next Monday.  Plan ahead and try anticipate anything. 
Good luck.