House is sold...bags are packed...now where will be call our new home.

You can get without prescription but it may not be  cheap!!!

Oh...I was under the impression that prescriptions were very cheap.  I ran into a lady in Punta Cana when I was there and she forgot her asthma medicine and went to the pharmacy and said she couldn't believe she paid hardly anything, I also picked up a tube of Retin A 1.0% cream from myself which I can't afford to buy in the US because most insurance won't cover it and it's $250! for one tube for the generic brand and $400 for the brand name at Walgreens Pharmacy.  I only paid $24 dollars in DR!  I should of bought more.

I had a cold/cough over the winter for the first time in probably 9 years so I went to pharmacy with a prescription from the doctor here in the US and they wanted $125 for Thamaflu! and that was with my insurance.  I said I guess I'll die or get better on my own before I pay that for a cough medicine.

I only know of what I have heard people have bought prescriptions  for in the DR and the one I purchased so I just assumed because the health care is very cheap that prescriptions must be too....has anyone else had experiences of costly prescriptions in the DR?

Not necessarily. Some thing maybe others definately not cheaper.

UPDATE re bringing a dog into the Dominican from Canada.  When making an appointment with my vet for a health certificate I discovered there are additional hoops to jump through. *sigh*

You need TWO documents from your vet.  Your vet needs to sign a CFIA form International Health Certificate (which MUST be signed by your vet in BLUE INK - I am not making this up! lol).  It must be signed within 14 days of travel. You also need a rabies certificate signed by your vet at least 30 days before travel documenting a rabies vaccination within 1 year prior to travel (if your dog got a 3 year vaccination more than a year ago get him in for another shot at least 30 days prior to departure).  THEN you have to take these documents to a CFIA office to be certified.  CFIA is VERY picky.  If your vet didn't sign the certificate in blue ink they will not certify.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter … 6600500578

37 more sleeps for me!!! :)

Blue ink is a must with any document that is needed for legal or regulation related purposes.

Thanks for the update.

The blue ink thing really threw me because I'm a lawyer and I've never come across that requirement in my practice.  In fact, back in the day there was a requirement that all signatures on legal documents must be in black ink - but those days are long gone.  lol

Yes it's a Dominican thing, when we bought our condo the realtor emphasized a few times very important to sign in blue ink when she overnighted our contracts to us otherwise they would have been sent back. Someone told me its because its harder to make copies of blue ink if someone was trying to send a copy vs a original.

Great info PandoraB!  Thank you.  We leave in 16 days.  July 14th is our EV-Day!  Extended Vacation Day.   Yahooo!!!

Does anyone live in Perla Marina or know anyone who does?  We will have a car rented for the first week to do groceries, setup Bank account and such and was hoping to talk with someone about life in Perla Marina.

Exactly Kat...

Pandora you do NOT need that second certified certificate you are talking about.  Yes the rules say so but I have NEVER seen a certificate asked for or shown.

We have brought our dog back and forth about 30 times in the last 10 years and 6 times in the last year and have never had or been asked for the "certificate".  All that was needed  was the vet's international form and the rabies form.

BObK

Thanks Bob - good to know.  I'm going to be nervous until they actually let us in the country! lol

Tanquillo mi amor....

Bob K

Hahahahahaha omg great answer Bob!!!!

Glad it made you smile

Bob K

Made me laugh out loud honey!!!

Has anyone bought Asthma puffs in the DR?

My wife uses the Blue and The Purple

Blue here is like $350

KAT11 - just seeing your post.  If there is a Costco near you, check there for Retin-A.  It will be the generic, but I think I paid $20.  I now get it through my mail order pharmacy, so I don't have a recent price, but that was just 2 years ago.  The other pharmacies had much higher prices.  You don't need a Costco membership for Rx purchases in most states - just tell the person at the door that you're visiting the pharmacy.

Hello Bob and Planner.

I'm new around here but I just want to say thanks for all this GREAT info! Holly cow you both have lots of knowledge on the expat experience and put it to good use to help others. That's pretty cool.

Thanks again.

You are welcome.  Lots to read here.  Feel free to ask questions you may have. Again welcome to the forum

Bob K

Thanks Bruno!  We do our best honey.

Well we made it.  Living in a wonderful Villa 100 meters from the beach in perla marina. Now we are looking to find friends for our daughters to play with.  We moved here 3 weeks ago from Canada and have had a great time as a family exploring and have made great friends with a few couples.  One couple our daughters even consider grand parents now.  They are wonderful!  But our girls ages 2 and 4 (both have birthdays in september) haven't really been able to play with anyone.  They have played with a few kids when we go out to eat but that is about it.  We would love to meet some couples with small children in the Perla Marina community.  Please feel free to contact us if you would like to meet maybe at the beach.  Their names are Mika and Mila and need kids their age to play with.  Thank you and god bless.  Michael and Sylvia.

I have also started a blog as kind of a journal for our daughter as they are too young to remember.  Also it is a great way for us to share our adventure with friends and family back home.  The first 2 posts tell the story on our ups and down just getting here.  I think anyone looking to move here could learn from our experiences.  It can be found at www.itsourtime.net  Our family adventure moving to and living in the Dominican Republic

Thanks Mike and Sylvia

Glad you made it.  When we get home we will have to get together.  We live about 10 min from you

Bob K

Just read your blog.  Great stuff keep it up.  I reminded me of our blog I wrote when we first moved down and built our villa 11 years ago.  I kept the blog up for 3-4 years.  Great memories.  You will be glad you wrote this.

Bob K

Welcome to the north coast!! Hope you find the kids some friends!!!!

Sounds great Bob!  It would be nice to finally meet you.  Safe travels.

Oh glad you liked it.  Maybe I can read your sometime.  Did you keep a copy?  Any advice would be appreciated.  It also help to keep our friends and family updated instead of repeating the same stories over and over :)

Thanks Planner!  I am sure we will find them some friends.

Ooooh...where's that blog, Bob K?  I would love to read it...

It was a private blog for friends and family and we are sooooooo glad we wrote it.  Let me check with the boss to see if she wants to release it to the general public.

Bob K