Fired before starting work?

Hi there!

So my Situation is the following:
I got hired by a company in Denmark, quit my current Job in Sweden. I was supposed to start working two months after signing the contract.
One Month after i signed the contract, I was informed that the investor of the new company pulled all their funding and they will have to let 50% of their Staff go, including me.
Since I am in the probation period (not even having started working there), apparently they can fire me with two weeks notice for whatever reason.

My question now is, if they knew that they were going to loose their funding (I am sure that they were at the point where they hired me), would they have been legally obliged to either tell me about that or hold off on hiring new people?

Thanks.

Hi Fraeger,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Sorry to hear of your predicament :(

I am no expert on the employment law in Demark, but there rules that the EU follow.

I recommend you have a read of European Employment Law and hopefully you will find some answers.

Good Luck

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Despite this unhappy situation, I don't think you have a good case. I think that some sackings come as a lightning from a clear sky to everybody else than the board and directors. I guess that the hiring people wouldn't have hired you if they had had the slightest suspicion of this.

Since you ask here on this forum, I guess that you have not been member of a union in Sweden? Try anyway. They might be helpful. If you tell me what kind of job it was, I shall find you a Danish contact address. And what about the other sacked persons? You don't have just one of the collequeas email addresses?

Best wishes,
Nellie