How easy is it to find an english teaching job in HCMC

Hi all,

My name is Tom and i'am seriously considering moving out to HCMC in the next few months to start a new adventure in my life :) I would like to teach english in HCMC and was hoping to get a bit of clarity on how easy this is to achieve as i have read many contradicting account online.

I am a British citizen from birth and also hold a BA degree. I currently have no experience or qualifications in teaching. So i suppose my first question would be is it worth doing any form of TEFL qualification before i head out to Vietnam. Now i'm not doing this experience to make a small fortune i just want enough cash to get by and enjoy my time in Vietnam. Is it worth doing a 100 to 120hr online/combined TEFL course so i can say have some experience or not??? or is anything less than a CELTA or equivalent useless??

And my other question would be how easy is it to find a job once out in HCMC. My plan was to arrive and then find a teaching job so i can see what my option are etc, but is this realistic??

Thanks so much in advance for all you help i do really appreciate it :)

Tom

Hi there,

I have a group of 6 friends who want to improve English speaking and listening skills. Can you teach us?

tom_1985 wrote:

I am a British citizen from birth and also hold a BA degree. I currently have no experience or qualifications in teaching. So i suppose my first question would be is it worth doing any form of TEFL qualification before i head out to Vietnam. Now i'm not doing this experience to make a small fortune i just want enough cash to get by and enjoy my time in Vietnam. Is it worth doing a 100 to 120hr online/combined TEFL course so i can say have some experience or not??? or is anything less than a CELTA or equivalent useless??

You have one of the two basic prerequisites for legal employment, your BA.  For the TEFL course there are as you perceive two routes.  The minimalist one may be sufficient if you are a young man who does not plan to make TEFL a long term effort.  From your screen name, I surmise that your are 32.  You can find employment easily based on age, looks and skin color as many here have attested. 

However, the advantages of a CELTA are twofold.  One, it is universally recognized by employers in Vietnam as the best course, regardless of whether that is true or not.  Therefore it will help in finding not just a job but one of the better paying ones.  In less than a year, it could actually pay for itself in added salary.   A difference of only $2/hr for 20 hrs/week pays back $1920 a year, about the same as the course with the room and board option.  The second reason is that as it has a real hands on practicum section, the CELTA will give you a real feeling for what the classroom is like.   Taking the course in Vietnam rather than Britain means you will be practicing with Vietnamese students.

tom_1985 wrote:

And my other question would be how easy is it to find a job once out in HCMC. My plan was to arrive and then find a teaching job so i can see what my option are etc, but is this realistic??

There are exceptions but by far most schools hire in person.  Expend some shoe leather delivering resumes and you will find a job.  This may be a third advantage to taking the CELTA in Vietnam, as it will give you a month on the ground for job seeking while you are still in school.

Once you have a regular job and a work permit, that is the time to look at private lessons as suggested by Ms Ngan.

Thanks for all you're replies. It given me a bit more of an idea :)