Looking to start a small bungalow hotel business

Hi,
My name is Matei and I am from Romania. My wife and I have been visiting Vietnam for a few years now and this time when we got back we felt we needed do something different with our lives so we've decided to try start a small hotel business. Our plan is to build a few bungalows on the beach with a  small bar and restaurant, try to grow our own food and to try to be as self sustainable as possible in terms of consumption(energy, water, etc). We wold like to get involved in the community and give them the opportunity to get involved with our project if they want of course :). We are not interested in getting rich from this business but to be able to live our lives in peace, swim in the ocean every day and eat healthy :)  So, this is a short summary of our dream :). We wold appreciate it very much if you guys could give us some information about:
1. What kind of visa would better suit our porpoise
2. What are the costs and procedures of obtaining a visa
3. Are we, as foreigners, allowed to concession land for long periods(50-99years)?
4. What kind of business licence is needed and what are the costs of obtaining it?
5. Whatever information or advice you consider could be helpful to us at this stage.
Thank you

Pick a place you want to do this, then contact a local lawyer as they will be up to date on local laws. Even though VN is supposed to have one uniformed law,it doesn't. Every provence has its own way of interpreting the national laws.

Hi Matei:

Look like you're hunting for information. Serious buyers should come to Vietnam 1 month or more with a Vietnamese interpreter/assistant. Buying property not like buying shirt, shoes. It's take sometime. I'm straightforward and tell you what it take. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Proposing or promoting your own services ??
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

colinoscapee wrote:

Pick a place you want to do this, then contact a local lawyer as they will be up to date on local laws. Even though VN is supposed to have one uniformed law,it doesn't. Every provence has its own way of interpreting the national laws.

"Every provence has its own way of interpreting the national laws!" - - Honestly, this is the most important thing you need to know so be sure to get a local lawyer.

Hi Bienhoa,

Thank you so much for your useful advice.
I since then moved to the Philippines and managed to start living my dream.

All the best to you
Matei

matei85 wrote:

Hi Bienhoa,

Thank you so much for your useful advice.
I since then moved to the Philippines and managed to start living my dream.

All the best to you
Matei

Look like you want have a  big fish but without fishing.

And my advice is not to trust anyone. Lawyers in Vietnam are like lawyers anywhere - in the main they are avaricious thieves. Go to your embassy and ask if they have a list of legal professionals that you can consult.

My first question to the OP is have you ever worked a 24/7/365 job before because that is what owning a small hotel is?  Once you have bought the place you will not have another vacation until you sell it.  You will have check-ins at midnight while you have check-outs at 6 AM.  In any small bungalow hotel, the owner probably mans the front desk.

Another question is what language will you use with the staff and customers.  You will be in Vietnam.  Will you be turning away monolingual Vietnamese customers? 

This small hotel pipe dream topic has come up before.  In fact there is another current thread on essentially the same subject.  These ideas are evidence of a syndrome that I would call the "I like to drink and hang out in bars so I should own one."  A related syndrome is "My wife is a great cook so I want to open a restaurant."  You even mention that you "are not interested in getting rich from this business."  Don't worry, you won't.  You say that you are willing to give the locals "the opportunity to get involved with our project if they want of course" but don't worry about that as they won't be interested if there is no profit in it.  They have other things to do.

On the other hand, if you kept the money that you would have sunk into this hotel dream, and invested it at reasonable rates, you could probably stay in that hotel and swim in the ocean every day for the rest of your life.