I am looking for a car navigation system for Bulgaria and Europe

Hello All,

I recently bought a car here in Sofia, before that I was travelling only by taxi and tram/bus/metro.

By taxi you learn some routes of course, but I think having a good navigation system might save a lot of fuel and my girlfriend is looking at a map like mrs. Bouquee .......

So I am thinking of buying a TomTom from the Netherlands or buying one locally here at Technopolis or similar. Here they mostly sell Garmin and well I am no so a Garmin fan.

Tomtom say they cover Bulgaria for 75% (and I wonder what is the missing 25%) since many small streets in sofia are in. Of Garmin I have no percentages.

You guys/girls have any thoughts on navigation systems for Bulgaria (and Europe) under let's say 400 leva ?

Chhers, Gerald.

Hi
We purchased garmin nuvi 2597LMT with uk and full Europe maps and lifetime updates for £114 a couple of years ago. Have to say, it's always got us where we wanted to be!

We just use google navigation on our smart phones... it has been highly accurate in both cities and small villages.

There are also Free apps that can be downloaded onto your Smart Mobile and do not use any internet connection, so is completely free. You can download whatever country map you need.

This is providing that you have a Smart Phone or Tablet.

well I have both smartphones and tablets, but every time I used this in the past it gave no good info for travelling by car and in most of these sytems it is based of a good internet connection. If your battery goes low, you are lost, if your internet connection is poor or lost you are lost too. some internet based solutions also work offline, but well you have to have a GPS sigmal and that too is based on an internet connection with phones or tablets.

I went for a Garmin Drive 60 EU LM and used it this weekend for a trip to Rila monestry .... it worked great.

I use the TomTom Go app on my I-phone; it's worked everywhere I've been in Europe (although I've never been to Bulgaria with it).  It only needs an internet connection if you use the Traffic Management (all the maps download via the internet/wifi), even then it's not a lot of bandwidth, I've never used more than the 5 mb p/month allowance on my phone.

Check Route66 for your phone/tablet. It works great + you don't have to buy it immediately - 1 month trial period.