Mistakes expats make in India

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to India? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in India to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

When you go to register at the FRO or get a bank account, etc. take 4-5 copies of every document that even remotely applies to your being in India, including address proof (lease, utility bills, etc), as well as a few passport photos. For some reason, officials seem to like to make you come back again and again rather than telling you all at once what you need to bring. I've had a bank accounts take many visits to open because they kept asking for different things one at a time.

When I went to register at the FRO, I took 5 copies of everything including the documents I had to submit to get the business visa, and there was nothing he could think to have me come back for.  If you don't need them all, just hang on to them. Most of them will probably get used at some time. Anyway, having to go back even once is way too much trouble.

Always keep a photocopy of your passport and visa and an extra photo or two in your wallet.

I think the biggest mistake expats make is expecting the police to come to your aid when you need help. The police here will most likely not speak English and if they do, they will interview both you and whomever was endangering you to understand who has more money or influence to pay them. Never involve the police, even in the most egregious of issues. I know of a journalist who, upon leaving a friend's place to walk to his home nearby after a late dinner, came across four policemen beating a homeless man on the street who was clearly unconscious. He confronted the police who then proceeded to beat him severely, and he crawled to his home where his roommate immediately took him to the hospital. When he was finally released from the hospital he reported this to the police, where things got much worse for him. They said he was drunk (he was not). They said he attempted to attack them (he did not). They visited his place on several occasions to "check to see if his papers were in order". Then his visa was cancelled and he was forced to leave the country. He hasn't been back since. I don't think this is an India-specific issue; rather any third world country with a corrupt police force will have this same situation.

Can someone give me its advice for this post please " Need some advice for living in India"

Can you be more specific? Are you coming to visit or work? What location are you intending to be living in? If you can provide more information, we can be more helpful...

Cheers,
Jeanne

Indian officials are good at answering questions so if you have any problem you have to ask dont keep it to yourself

I belive that when you moe to a new country you must learn a few things  first.like hello and please in the local tongue. We expats think that the locals should do things like the western  world and thats our mistake. We think everything in India is cheap when it's not. Our mistake again. We expect more just because we are expats which is wrong again.i see many expats do this and I at times yell at them  and remind them to respect this country or return home (which can be rude at times) we have been here 1 year and I figured that local knowledge  is best.your driver or maid will know more and are more than willing to help if they are asked.india can be cheap if you eat what's in season and local products  go through them and figure what's good for your family. If you want what's made in your home than yes it will cost a bit and yes you will complain. .

I belive one needs to come to India  with and open mind to embrace what this country  has to offer  the good the bad the ugly. Your 5 sense  are always attacked but that's life.

I am truly  loving our time here and know there will be trials of patience etc but I am game.

i like you response and totally agree with it. :top:

There's nothing worse than listening to expats complain about India and I find that these people don't tend to stay. If you make it past six months here and get settled in, you'll find life here quite livable and enriching. India is a beautiful country from the very north to the south and every state has its own language culture, food, movies and more. It's like crossing several countries like the EU. To expect every place to have everything you need, want and desire is impossible. Be open to new experiences and ask a lot of questions. India can be overwhelming and an assault to all of your senses. It can test your sense of fairness and justice. You will also experience some of the most amazing acts of kindness and generosity, even from those who literally have nothing. My life has been forever changed by India and I am a better person because of it.

i agree in few points but you have to know something whenever you go just be clear to your problems . some foreigner even dont wanna say the real the problem they just want to know the information .  so it's better to be clear about your problems to the officials.

I totally agree with you.. I love India and spend as much time there as i can.. Each location is different and i have been fortunate enough to spend months in different regions and states..

Hi there
I am hoping to visit India for the first time on holiday.
I am a single female and I will be travelling alone. Can you recommend a holiday destination. I love history, culture,food spa and beaches.
Many thanks

Bebzo

For your first visit try Goa.. beaches are there and lots of history..
Have a fun time!